What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Dorsi

What kind of goo was used to catch your pet rat, Tony?

I have a need for something sticky that does not harden, but will keep its prey anchored.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

kb426

Bruce, I used to buy sticky traps at the store. They stay live for a long time.
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"At my work place, we've had a few problems with wires to credit card machine and computer lines getting chewed on.  We have small mice in the warehouse.  We catch a few time to time.

A large tray with sticky goo was placed in the area the wires were chewed up.

This morning we found a large rat stuck in the tray goo (see photo)... notice power strip in photo for size comparo of the rat.

In photo the rat is alive and quite * off .... Rat was deceased shortly after the photo was taken

nice catch...

metal trash pails.. with enough stuff around the outside for rodents to climb up...  some of yesterdays lunch left overs in it...  but only at the bottom...   allows them to drop in for lunch.. but they will usually eat enough that they cannot jump or climb out..   leaving you with live cat or snake food in the morning..

these are six bucks and will handle most large rats..

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-l-x-5-1-2-half-inch-w-x-5-1-2-half-inch-h-collapsible-small-animal-trap-94397.html

my wife used to work next door to a discount warehouse.. that was filled with RATs...  i tried to get the owners to create a pallet.. with cardboard coated steel boxes... so it looks like other pallets in the warehouse... but there is a hollow tube shape on the inside.. that the rats could crawl up.. either a mechanical or an optical sensor spins the turnststyle and dumps the rodent out of the tube and into the steel container..  a small muffin fan would be blowing yesterdays left over lunch fumes down the crawl up hole...

the pallet could be positioned in many parts of the warehouse .. a different area each night..

just as long as the catch bin is removed and cleaned up daily..  so no smells are left over... it will become the ultimate rat trap..

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Although I was not real clear...  at my work place we have small mice around.  This rat was captured at front sales counter.

The rat was fighting to get loose, ended up 8 feet away from where the trap was set.  It was under a desk the receptionist  uses.

We have never seen such a large rodent in the building.  We can  not have open containers of antifreeze sitting around.   :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"Although I was not real clear...  at my work place we have small mice around.  This rat was captured at front sales counter.

The rat was fighting to get loose, ended up 8 feet away from where the trap was set.  It was under a desk the receptionist  uses.

We have never seen such a large rodent in the building.  We can  not have open containers of antifreeze sitting around.   :lol:

ATF should work too :D  :D  :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

My post was pointed more at Bruce since he is needing a trap.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Crosley"Although I was not real clear...  at my work place we have small mice around.  This rat was captured at front sales counter.

ATF should work too :D  :D  :D

We have ATF  all over the floor in the shop ... ask river1  fellow.  

Various locations of solvent chemical tanks too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kiwipaul

Worked this morning for four hours came home and sorted out motor part for the pick up as that is the next step put the motor and auto together and put it in and get it going.
A Ford man that like all cars

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "kb426"Bruce, I used to buy sticky traps at the store. They stay live for a long time.

Thank you!

For mice, I made one of the anti-freeze/bucket traps that Purplepickup showed several years ago.  ....It works perfectly.

Parts of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York have an infestation of stinkbugs from Asia.

I was inquiring about the goo used at Tony's work, thinking something like that could be used to hold/capture the stinkbugs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

wvcab

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"....thinking something like that could be used to hold/capture the stinkbugs.

out here we call them farts

purplepickup

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Parts of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York have an infestation of stinkbugs from Asia.

I was inquiring about the goo used at Tony's work, thinking something like that could be used to hold/capture the stinkbugs.
Bruce, apparently stink bugs are attracted to light and that makes them catchable.  There are quite a few kinds of traps people have come up with on youtube.  This one doesn't use glue and this one does.  The glue is available in bulk if you want to make your own traps.  I can think of different ways to make the traps in the videos.....an led 12v trailer running light hooked to a battery instead of the AAA powered light used in the first one....and clear Christmas tree lights stuffed in a clear tube that has been smeared with glue similar to the second video.  Those are the only two videos I watched but I'm sure there's more ingenious ways to catch them.  We have some stinkbugs here but nothing like you guys do.  I'd be real upset if they slept with me.

I wonder what Freud had to say about us getting great satisfaction in torturing pests and varmints  :twisted:
George

kb426

Yesterday, the Uship delivery man picked up my CL160. It's on it's way to it's new home in the Phoenix area. I needed the space in the storage building but that is probably the only project in my life that I may miss. Riding that bike could almost let you feel 12 years old again. :D I'm usually looking forward to the next project long before an older one gets sold.
TEAM SMART

50 F1

Putting new s cam shafts, bushings and brakes on the drives on my semi. Got about half done yesterday. Quite a job, axles and hubs have to come off to get s cam shafts out. I am sore this morning.

Mike

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "50 F1"Putting new s cam shafts, bushings and brakes on the drives on my semi. Got about half done yesterday. Quite a job, axles and hubs have to come off to get s cam shafts out. I am sore this morning.

Mike

Mike ...I think both Enjenjo & I can both relate to your pain ... :roll:
Full day & you're only half done   :?:  Good thing you don't do that for a living, huh   :?: ..... :lol:  :lol:

Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****