What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Chimp.....What will you do when he comes back with a wad of tissue paper  :?:  :?:  

Best aluminum "magnet" I ever found ...... :idea:

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Rrumbler

Chimp, that is a new one on me, and a good 'un at that.  I can't remember all of the inane stuff I've told apprentices and trainees, or sent them off looking for; mostly young impressionable kids over-eager to make a good impression, but a few were more mature, and just plain naive.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

chimp koose

I broke the news to him today . He was sent to electronics,cooking,band,graphic arts,welding,aircraft maintenance ,woods,sewing,and the vice principals office(former shop teacher). Nobody knew where it was! The connection between listening and logic has been repaired.I try to get my students to be 'active listeners' . Try this with a teenager, "get me a point file from the top right drawer of the big red toolbox" and see what happens. Quite often they will stop listening after 'point file'and wander aimlessly through the shop waiting for it to appear..I find if you give the most important detail last they will listen to more of the instructions.If I say " go to the big red toolbox ,open the top right drawer and get the point file." they will follow your instructions because they have to listen to all your instructions before they know what you need.This is not universal but more prevalent in students who are wanting to please. If the student does not know what a point file is they may get anxious with the first type of instruction because panic hits when they are sent to find something they cannot identify.That is when active listening stops . With the second type of direction they will get to the right drawer and find files . They can either determine which is the right tool or be able to ask a simple "is this it" to find the right tool.In the first situation the student may feel they cant get anything right ,in the second situation they will at least get most of it right. This is a way to help them build confidence.

phat rat

Didn't make the swap at Coldwater. Instead I went and bought another 41 Ford business cpe. This one is a good project for someone. Yes I bought it to turn
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

kb426

I have had lots of little projects this weekend. I rode to another town for a family getogether for lunch. It was the first time I've been on the bike for awhile. About 4 this afternoon, I took this pic. Pretty unusual for the first part of May. I'm building small parts for the bike project. Hope you all had a good weekend.
TEAM SMART

Boyd Who

Rainy and cold today with nothing booked for work, so I spent a few hours in the shop this morning.
My wife and I managed to manhandle the Essex cab back onto the frame, then I mocked up the rad shell and hood to see how things will work for the planned SBC install.
I'm very pleased with the way the modified '30 Chevy rad shell looks with the Essex shutters installed. :)

Should be lots of room for a 350/T350 combo without having to cut the firewall.

UGLY OLDS

Al ...That  looks really good ... 8)  
 You are going to have a lot of people scratchin' their heads &  sayin' .....  Studebak.....Hmmmm...Nash?????....Noo... :?  :?   Hudson   :?:  :?:  :?:    Fargo    :roll:  :roll:     Neargo   :?:  :?:  

I GOT IT ....BUICK    :!:  :!:

Just like Grandpa had !!!!    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Boyd Who

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Al ...That  looks really good ... 8)  
 You are going to have a lot of people scratchin' their heads &  sayin' .....  Studebak.....Hmmmm...Nash?????....Noo... :?  :?   Hudson   :?:  :?:  :?:    Fargo    :roll:  :roll:     Neargo   :?:  :?:  

I GOT IT ....BUICK    :!:  :!:

Just like Grandpa had !!!!    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob...... :wink:

Except his was a Packard, and had a rumbleseat and a convertible top. Oh...and it was green.  :roll:

Neargo... :lol:

This truck has always had the "purists" scratching their heads. For one, Essex never made a truck, all the ones you find are cut-down sedans. This one started life as a 2-door.
Secondly, when it was being built in the late 70's they replaced the piano hinges on the doors with normal ones from a '30 Chevy.
Thirdly...everything on the truck aside from the cab and the hood is 1930 Chevy...rad shell, fenders, running boards, frame, etc. Nothing like a Heintz 57 hotrod to mess with people's heads!  8)

kb426

I like the "neargo". Looking good, Al.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I finished cutting my pistons for valve clearance tonight. Finally!Made a fuel pump block off plate .

sirstude

Getting ready for our annual garage tour on Saturday.  My olds is getting final primer on Friday to be ready.  Then I get to sand, sand, sand some more.  At least this time it is with water and fine paper.  Hope to have paint on it this summer.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

chimp koose

We have been testing a saddle for my daughters horse all week. One week short of a year and we finally have one that looks to be working well.

GPster

Quote from: "chimp koose"We have been testing a saddle for my daughters horse all week. One week short of a year and we finally have one that looks to be working well.
Works well? the saddle, the horse or the daughter? GPster

chimp koose

GPster , all three! When we got our horse I knew very little about saddle fitting. The first saddle we had did not fit the horse well,and fit the rider ,my daughter ok. I have been trying to shape saddle pads to fit the saddle to the horse better and it was getting better but still a long way from good.The new saddle fits the horse much better and with a bit of work I should be able to shape a saddle pad to make a great fit. My daughter sits better in this saddle as well so it is a win win so far.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "chimp koose"GPster , all three! When we got our horse I knew very little about saddle fitting. The first saddle we had did not fit the horse well,and fit the rider ,my daughter ok. I have been trying to shape saddle pads to fit the saddle to the horse better and it was getting better but still a long way from good.The new saddle fits the horse much better and with a bit of work I should be able to shape a saddle pad to make a great fit. My daughter sits better in this saddle as well so it is a win win so far.

That sounds like a lot of time spent to get ONE HORSEPOWER!   :roll:    :lol:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!