What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I'm with George, 6 below today.Been kinda frequent lately. I'm soooo ready for summer!
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "Boyd Who"I haven't been doing much of anything in the shop lately.
However, the other day I drove into the city and stopped at a TSC store. They had a 30% off sale on hardware so I scored 28 lbs of assorted grade-5 nuts, bolts, and washers for $2.99/lb.
I've never had a decent stock of hardware before. It will be so nice not having to dig through my used bolt buckets trying to find something suitable to use.  :D

I buy bolts from TSC also. They carry the same brand bolts as McMaster Carr at a better price, they just don't have a lot of selection. No fine thread, and no 7/16" bolts at all. I get all grade 8 bolts though.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Boyd Who

Quote from: "enjenjo"I buy bolts from TSC also. They carry the same brand bolts as McMaster Carr at a better price, they just don't have a lot of selection. No fine thread, and no 7/16" bolts at all. I get all grade 8 bolts though.

I noticed the lack of selection as well, although they certainly carried alot more than our local hardware stores do. That's the biggest drawback of living in a very small town in the middle of nowhere. The closest city (pop. 40,000) is 45 miles away.

I use grade-5 for most things but bump up to grade-8 for drivetrain and suspension use.

UGLY OLDS

Does TSC sell hardware by the pound or "Per Piece " ??   If they sell by the pound I am going to have to search for one ...All I have for "decent" ,( IE: American), hardware is Ace ..

And $ometime$ I am not $ure where they get it from..... :?

But they $ure are proud of it .... :shock:

Bob.......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Boyd Who

I think they sell it both ways, Bob. The gr-5 stuff was by the pound, the gr-8 looked like it was by the piece. Prices didn't look too bad though, especially compared to your local big-box store.

enjenjo

Here they have the grade 8 bolts by the pound too. It runs about $5 a pound.

Years ago we had a County Post store herem similar to TSC. When they closed they had things priced at 60 percent off. I bought the  entire stock of grade 8 bolts for $1.25 a pound.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

I am going to find the closest TSC to me ....$2.00 & $3.00 each for bolts at Ace ain't  makin' it anymore .... :(  

Thank You for the info ..... :D

Bob....... :wink:

Carps

It's Sunday, so I'm wasting time surfing the 'net.  Might go out to the shed and continue work on a couple of model cars, do some pinstriping, take one of the old gal's out for a cruise.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

UGLY OLDS

Quotetake one of the old gal's out for a cruise
I had to think about this for a minute... :?      
Then I remembered .... :idea:     You  guy's got SUMMER ...  :!:

Bob..... :wink:

Crosley.In.AZ

Had another tool failure today.  My real safety-type  gasoline can that has the fancy spring loaded  flipper cap on the handle.. Leaking around the seam on the bottom.

Not good to walk into the shop , smell gasoline, find a small puddle of gas around the can

last week my Mikita chop saw power switch broke.  Had the saw for 20 yrs or longer. Of course the switch was obsolete.... but, I found the switch that replaces mine from a place called "ToolBarn" in Nebraska.  35 bucks shipped
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carps

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"You  guy's got SUMMER ...  :!:
Almost!  Instead of summer, our ten plus year drought was finally broken.  Yup, we should have summer but we got winter instead, complete with ten years worth of accumulated rain not to mention floods and wind and...... just crap really.

But today is OK, overcast but no rain, yet.

Here's what I did with the model car, AMT '51 Chev, chopped and customised using a few Corvette parts, plus a little paint detail.

Didn't do it all today, it's taken a month or so to get to this point.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Boyd Who

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I am going to find the closest TSC to me ....$2.00 & $3.00 each for bolts at Ace ain't  makin' it anymore .... :(  
Thank You for the info ..... :D
Bob....... :wink:

The outrageous price of fasteners at the local hardware stores was the driving force behind my trip to the city. The cost of gas to get there and back (100 mile round-trip) was minor compared to the amount I saved on the fasteners.

Carps...beautiful work on the model!! Now that I have a shop I should dig out some of my old kits and build some of them. I haven't built a model in almost 25 years, but I have a number of unopened kits sitting in storage.

Carnut

Heh, heh, Carps that looks like a good start on a replica of the 'Corvette Impala Dream Car'. Now if you could just get a 59 Impala top on the car.

http://www.corvettes.nl/gm_prototypes/impala/index.html

kb426

It got up to 76 degrees today, I motorcycled and cleaned vehicles.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I spent the day doing a tech seminar and writing a test to get my NHRA tech inspector certification.