Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

A gallon of base paint - over 500 bucks?  that is obscene price
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"Warm here, shop is warm, Heat is not on in the shop

Changed the H7 headlite bulb in my 2006 VW Jetta this evening.

Modern cars are interesting. The Veedub tells me via  warning lite I have a headlite out. I buy the bulb on the way home.

Swap out the bulb... turn on the headlites.  Nope, they dont come on. You have to put the  ignition  key in to get headlites on. Then the car is beeping it's butt off.. the door is open, the head-lites are on. the ignition is on.    :roll:

this might help.... its for an 05 model.. but it should be the same the o4s and earlier were different...

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/1b/f9/89/large/0900c152801bf989.gif

found it on this page...

http://www.autozone.com:80/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c152801bf981

Crosley.In.AZ

Wayne... thanks for the information.

Changing the bulb was easy. The part that twists my shorts is you can not simply turn on the head lites to test the new bulb install.

You have to place the key in the ignition on this Veedub Jetta to turn on the head lites... then the car sits there beeping at you since the lites are on , the ignition is on, the door is open.  My  2006 Silverado truck is just as bad

Here is something I just discovered on the Jetta, although I've owned the car since sept 2005, 115k miles.  I rolled into a parking spot right off Thomas road and I-17 freeway area. Shut the car down, open the door.

The car starts to beep (ding ding).. I look and look. Key is out, lites are off, I can not figure out W T Fart is the problem.  Finally I find it, The turn signal was still in the 'right turn' position.  The car is beeping at me because of the turn signal lever position and the key is off - removed!

Sorry, but I grow tired of the daily driver cars that now warn me at every little thing.

ABS brakes.. air bags, new seat belt designs...  I 'get that' ... telling me the turn signal switch is in the 'on position', after the key is removed.. nope
Tony

UGLY OLDS

Gee Tony .....Make sure that your next car has that "Hands Off, I will park it for you" option ...... 8)  :lol:  :lol:

You would be amazed how irate people get when the "Touch Screen" function goes out on their new cars .... :shock:
People call frantic & advise they are not able to use the vehicle .... :roll:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"Wayne... thanks for the information.

Changing the bulb was easy. The part that twists my shorts is you can not simply turn on the head lites to test the new bulb install.

You have to place the key in the ignition on this Veedub Jetta to turn on the head lites... then the car sits there beeping at you since the lites are on , the ignition is on, the door is open.  My  2006 Silverado truck is just as bad

Here is something I just discovered on the Jetta, although I've owned the car since sept 2005, 115k miles.  I rolled into a parking spot right off Thomas road and I-17 freeway area. Shut the car down, open the door.

The car starts to beep (ding ding).. I look and look. Key is out, lites are off, I can not figure out W T Fart is the problem.  Finally I find it, The turn signal was still in the 'right turn' position.  The car is beeping at me because of the turn signal lever position and the key is off - removed!

Sorry, but I grow tired of the daily driver cars that now warn me at every little thing.

ABS brakes.. air bags, new seat belt designs...  I 'get that' ... telling me the turn signal switch is in the 'on position', after the key is removed.. nope

most new cars have one or more time delay relays that keep the power to some items for several minutes after the key is off...  some designs shut off power to the systems after the drivers door is opened and shut...     this is one of the reasons that one has to have one of the green knob type battery disconnect switches  with test leads attached to either side for parasitic draw testing..  running the engine for several minutes...   shutting down ...    getting out and locking the door with a key...   waiting 5 minutes ,,, then loosen the green knob and read the parasitic draw...

if one disconnects the battery..  the shut down relays will not be in their normal position for automatic shut down.. and may not be in the proper position to find that pesky parasitic draw that you are actually looking for...

loosening the green knob with properly attached test leads run through the amp shunt in the digital volt meter... does not disconnect the power totally..

many cars mid 2000s... have reduced the amount of wire by having the ECM control things..  so there may be a ground and power wire with a tiny pair of control wires to every device.. the same 4 wires.. the computer sends commands to each module...  so it will set a trouble  code when a lamp is out..  probably a B????

i ran across this link a while back.. that readers with OBD2 cars should bookmark...

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

look at the generic codes at the bottom of the page.. for manufacturer specific codes.. click the icon at the top of the page for the brand of car you are working with..

the people who make the neat scan tool for harbor freight have come up with a slight improvement..  one that can now read CAN better and ABS Codes...

http://www.auteltech.com/ms609.htm

tom36

Started re-assembly of the frame for the Model A .   Brake lines, gas line  oil cooler, steering box all back in. Lots of 10/32 screws holding all the line clamps. Haven't scratched the paint yet, but there is still more to assemble :lol:  :lol:  :lol: .  Tom...

kb426

Tom36. Looking good. I watched a tv episode once where they we're assembling a car. They used several rolls of 2" tape trying to protect everything. That might be the answer.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Looking great Tom. I have gotten in the habit of using the blue painters tape for that. Less likely to lift paint.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Took the AD truck bed to the body shop for final paint, I should have it on in a week or two. I hope. :shock:  I probably won't have back by then. :roll:

Today I installed the NEW dome light. It would not shut off. I thought I may have wired it wrong, but it turned out the switch is defective. Back to the drawing board,
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Airbag warning lite is on in the dash of the Jetta.  My  Work scanner will not scan since the European software is not installed in the scanner.

Most common trigger appears to be wire connectors in the seat belt mechanisms...  weak connections cause additional resistance the  PCM  system tests for.

Not gonna spend much cash on this car  for repairs..

oh,  work sucks lately.  too many problems
Tony

WZ JUNK

My brother Sam (MO JUNK) and I are going to the Hot Rod Breakfast at the Gerhead Cafe this morning.  I will take a picture if I remember.  It is about 15 degrees this morning so it will be a brisk ride in the old truck.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Hooked up the speed-O in my 1961 Dodge Lancer...  had the car near 10 yrs... never hooked it up.  MPH works , the mileage numbers do not roll over.

Got the car for sale ( again) and now is the time to fix stuff I never gave a chitt about over the years.  LOL
Tony

tom36

more work putting the frame back together.  Front end put together and installed-  Rear end installed.  It's a roller again!  Tom...

junkyardjeff

Had to pick up some parts at the junkyard for my wrecked daily driver and change the tire on the girlfriends truck that blew out about 2 this morning when she was coming home from work.

Crosley.In.AZ

I posted earlier that my Vee Dub Jetta has an airbag warning lite on in the dash. The lite came on wed morning.

In the USPS mail saturday ( yesterday) I received a notice of a service bulletin on the replacement of wire harness in the seat that causes high resistance in that circuit and will turn in the warning lite in the dash.  The replacement of the harnesses is Free under this program.

Very nice and they say timing is everything
Tony