What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Sounds good ,I would go for it.

GPster

Thanks for the encouragement. I have no idea what things sell for or are worth these days. It's parked less than a 1/2 mile away, just over the bridge and it's still in his name. I hope the owner of the private lot doesn't call the Police to have it towed away. They might notice the expired 30 day tag. Of course they could put it in my driveway rather than the impound lot and send him the bill. I talk a lot about nothing. Don't I. GPster

papastoyss

Quote from: "GPster"Yesterday Linda and I were going through the news paper and surprisingly she took a look in the Classifieds. She mentioned a Jeep listed and I asked her if it was that RH Jeep that was probably an old mail carrier. That one has been in there forever but she replied that it was a newer listing. I don't normally get excited about Jeeps because they're usually out of my price range, have standard transmissions and don't have power steering or power brakes. This one won on most categories.  It's a '80 Jeep CJ7 with the big six (with a carb and no computer), automatic transmission, and power steering. There's no vacuum canister for power brakes but it stops easy (hydra-vac?). All for $2,500.00. We went to look at it yesterday and I was not impressed. It was just sitting outside with snow on it, one low tire and a dead battery (I was warned about it needing a battery). The body showed it's age but it is a serviceable vehicle. We left him with the idea that we'd get back to him and I spent a lot of hours awake last night coming up with reasons that I didn't need another project. Was going to call today and tell him that we were going to pass but he called first. He had AAA come and start it and pump up the tire and he drove it over for us to hear it run and see that it would move. Linda and I talked about it and even though I couldn't say I wanted it I couldn't tell her we should forget about it. While I was trying to talk myself out of it she got to talking to him and got him down to $2,000.00. So it might be because it's taking so long to get anything done with the phaeton (Jeepster) I may be driving a roadster to pass the time. We'll see (like I don't know what will probably happen). GPster
Hey, remember NSRA's 30 year rule! You're legal now, see ya at Louisville.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

GPster

Quote from: "papastoyss"Hey, remember NSRA's 30 year rule! You're legal now, see ya at Louisville.
Believe it or not the '48 and earlier rule was part of the reason I was attracted to buy my '48 Jeepster the week I got out of the hospital. I was NSRA 1550 but with the depressing fact that I didn't know if I'd ever drive again I let my membership lapse (also didn't get my "Lifetime Member" of HOG). I'm going to hold off until the Crosley runs and maybe join SCTA or maybe the ECTA. Seems like the most I'm doing today is typing. I ought to be putting the Jeepster together enough to roll it outside so that the new(er) Jeep has a new place to stay. GPster

enjenjo

Took my Ford Van in for a cruise control recall, took all of 15 minutes. Then I went and watched my team bowl, I am still stove up enough I can't bowl yet.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tom36

Painted some more parts for the Model A.  Tom

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

butch27

Worked on a new dash (fiberglass) sorry. Mad a bracket for my tach.  Cold in Michigan!

WZ JUNK

I spent a good part of the day stripping the paint off of, and removing dents out of some stainless that will go on the RRT Crosley.  I will probably work on it again tomorrow.  I quit counting at 40 dents.  Each one has to be worked out, then filed, and then sanded with 6 different grits of paper before it is buffed.  I have been taking some pictures and I will post later a how to on repairing and polishing stainless.

I like to do this kind of stuff.

Very cold here but the shop is toasty.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Warm here, shop is warm, Heat is not on in the shop

Changed the H7 headlite bulb in my 2006 VW Jetta this evening.

Modern cars are interesting. The Veedub tells me via  warning lite I have a headlite out. I buy the bulb on the way home.

Swap out the bulb... turn on the headlites.  Nope, they dont come on. You have to put the  ignition  key in to get headlites on. Then the car is beeping it's butt off.. the door is open, the head-lites are on. the ignition is on.    :roll:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Assembled the right door for the AD truck, and put it back on. The left side took 4 months, right side three days. :shock:

I had to fix the house furnace yesterday, the hot surface igniter went out. No one in town had one, except the furnace guy, and he wouldn't sell it without a service call. :x  $129 total.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Tom36, they look good. Is the whole car going to be that color?
TEAM SMART

tom36

Quote from: "kb426"Tom36, they look good. Is the whole car going to be that color?

Yes, it's a Ford color called Torredor red.  I think the paint code is FL.   Basecoat/Clearcoat.  A gallon of base was over 500bucks ! :shock:
 The car is a 31 Model A, chopped 4 " on 32 rails

1800guy

Re the Hot Surface Ignitor - I went through 5 of them in the first 3 years we had the furnace, and kept buying them from the local HVAC "service" at $65.00 a pop.  My wife found a place in town that had them for $95.00, but with a lifetime guarentee.  Great, we thought - buy two, always have a spare because they always fail on a weekend, and then just rotate using the warrenty.  Same brand and part number, but the first one is on its third season and still working fine.  Go figure - sabatage from the first supplier?
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

GPster

Quote from: "1800guy"Re the Hot Surface Ignitor - I went through 5 of them in the first 3 years we had the furnace, and kept buying them from the local HVAC "service" at $65.00 a pop.  My wife found a place in town that had them for $95.00, but with a lifetime guarentee.  Great, we thought - buy two, always have a spare because they always fail on a weekend, and then just rotate using the warrenty.  Same brand and part number, but the first one is on its third season and still working fine.  Go figure - sabatage from the first supplier?
Years ago my neighbor had trouble with a new installation of the first generation of a high efficiency furnace. It was still under warrartee so they made a lot of in warrantee replacements. When it went out of warrantee the installer a franchaised dealer turned the furnace back into an old style with a constant burning pilot. The biggest problem seemed to be high humidity. I know that I get an awful lot of water from the condensate drain on mine as it goes into my A/C drain with a sump pump and it fills the sump ever couple of days and pumps out. I haven't had a problemwith the igniter but I had a service call recently because the combustion chamber drain had plugged and the combustion blower wouldn't overcome it and "make" that safety. Maybe some one makes a stainless steel igniter for humidity problems. GPster