What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I did a little machine work for a friend. This is a crank hub for a supercharged 392 hemi in an srt8 challenger. These are anti-rotation pin slots. The crank has no keyway from the factory. His original hub was drilled on the crank. I located and machined as close as I could.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Rrumbler"It's a bit of a pain to do, but a continuity check on the t-stat wiring is where I'd go next; has the t-stat got voltage on one of the terminals? It should be the red wire, and have 18 or 24 volts a/c.  If it has voltage, there is some sort of an interruption in one of the other wires to the ground unit

T-stat has voltage. Wire connections are good in T-stat.

The heat pump ran a couple weeks ago when temp dropped to 40 - 42*F outside.  Now, the ground unit does not come on with heat or A/C .  Could be wires, or freon leaked out, bad relay, circuit board failure

Last person in attic was cable tech guy.  I have been in the attic since then.  T-stat wires are not in a place where you could walk on them.  Wires look fine. I did not pull side panel off air handler unit.  

I am at a point where i am soooo po'd

A gift that keeps giving.

During my inspection 2 days ago:  I noticed a loose copper tube down inside.  Looked like it was a sensing tube - bulb deal for the expansion valve.   I pointed this out to the tech guy.

well, that can not be fixed till next week.  No parts, no place open today to get parts.  System needs to be opened up to replace the part ( I am told) ... Very similar to older  automotive design system as it looks to me

240 volt Contactor was faulty , that is why the ground  unit failed to kick on.  Contactor is under warranty. The Price would be $289.00 for a 45 dollar part (I priced online) ... Installed.

I had bought a service plan for this heat pump , so most of the costs are waved or parts under warranty (for now).  I dont like service plans, but this unit worried me, so here I am.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

The tarp on my wood pile was shredded by all the wind storms we had this year, so I removed it, and replaced it with a heavy duty tarp from Harbor freight.

Then I went out to the shop and installed the new clutch disc, pilot bearing, and transmission adapter in the truck I have in the shop. I would have installed the trans too, but this old man can't lift it onto the trans jack by himself any more.

My Dad went in for some back surgery Wednesday, it went well, He is on Warfarin, and they were having trouble with excessive bleeding, so he could not come home Thursday as planned. Friday morning he started having abdominal pain, they did a CT scan, and found what they thought was a perforated Colon. So he went back into emergency surgery for that. What they found was a perforated ulcer on his stomach, which was a fairly easy fix, but he will have to stay in for at least 4 days before they will release him. He is doing well now. They perforation had nothing to do with the back surgery, but it was lucky that he was in the hospital when it happened.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, they do that well, now. Part of your description was the end of my father in 1969.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

Prepping an early Bronco 9" housing for shortening to 53-3/8" using a pair of equal length 31 spline axles out of a QC I used to have. Put it up on a cart to do the work. The driver's side axle about fell out but the passenger side wouldn't budge. Solution - cut the housing tube since I had to anyway and I wasn't planning on saving the rusty Bronco stuff as brake parts (drums) seem to be thin on the ground and I'm switching to big bearing ends backing plates and brakes.

I will finish trimming spring brackets off tomorrow, remove the pig, and mark both tubes for the precise cut. Scary using "I" and "precise" in the same sentence.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

jaybee

Frank, hope your Dad is back on his feet soon. No fun being in the hospital any time, but especially on a major holiday.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

parklane

Quote from: "enjenjo"The tarp on my wood pile was shredded by all the wind storms we had this year, so I removed it, and replaced it with a heavy duty tarp from Harbor freight.

You mean that Harbor Freight actually have 'heavy duty' tarps??
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

enjenjo

Quote from: "parklane"
Quote from: "enjenjo"The tarp on my wood pile was shredded by all the wind storms we had this year, so I removed it, and replaced it with a heavy duty tarp from Harbor freight.

You mean that Harbor Freight actually have 'heavy duty' tarps??

Compared to their regular tarps, yes.

58 Yeoman

Yes, they do have heavy duty tarps.  I just covered my secondary woodpile today with a silver one (of course, after all the rain we had).
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Today was parts day I ran all over drop off and picking up parts for the various projects going on.

While I was in Toledo I stopped and visited my Dad in the hospital. He is doing fine, he got to eat today for the first time since last thursday.

WZ JUNK

I am working on my new outdoor wood furnace.  The outdoor wood boiler I made a few years ago was needing repairs and I really wanted to try a forced air furnace.  I thought the boiler type would be better when I was painting but I rarely paint anymore, so this seemed a good argument for a new design.  The basis for my outside furnace is the firebox from an older commercial indoor furnace called the Logwood furnace.  You can burn wood five feet long in the firebox but I will not use that length.   I am trying to use some principles of wood gasification in my design.  Wood produces a burnable gas when it burns but the gas tends to go up the chimney.  I am attempting to recirculate this gas back through the fire.  I redesigned the top of the firebox to trap the gas and the forced draft blower will siphon it back into the underside of the fire.  Who knows if this will work, but a lot of new wood stoves use a similar method.  I have also made the heat exchanger more efficient by adding heat sinks.  Its new name may be the porcupine stove.  I will update as I progress.  Feel free to critique or ask questions.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, what is the time frame of the gas creation and recirculation? Is the heat sinks separate from the fire chamber and going to have forced air circulation?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John, what is the time frame of the gas creation and recirculation? Is the heat sinks separate from the fire chamber and going to have forced air circulation?

The next step will be to enclose most of what you see in the picture.  The part with all the heat sinks I made will be the air plenum.  The air will come in through the lower part of the plenum and then zig zag to the exit.  This will be clearer when I get the covering in place.

Hopefully the wood gas will be trapped in the top part of the firebox.  When the forced draft blower (seen in the lower left of the picture) comes on, it will siphon the gas off of the top of the firebox and then out through a manifold I made, that is in the top of the ash box and just under the fire grate.

Who knows if this will work but I have a valve in the system that I can shut and see if there is a difference in the fire.  If it does not make the wood gas and work, I still have a conventional wood furnace.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

58 Yeoman

I've wondered about 5' long fireboxes when I've read about them before.  How much would a 5' log weigh, and how would you throw them in there?

Wouldn't it be better if the loading door was on top of a furnace, and you could pile wood on top of the burning wood already in there?

Just askin'.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I've wondered about 5' long fireboxes when I've read about them before.  How much would a 5' log weigh, and how would you throw them in there?

Wouldn't it be better if the loading door was on top of a furnace, and you could pile wood on top of the burning wood already in there?

Just askin'.

I think it was a bad idea too.  My back would not like handling a five footer either.  The furnace originally had a propane burner as a secondary heat source but I eliminated it.  They were not very efficient I have been told.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck