What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "kb426"Charlie, I like the sound of all that. What grille shell are you planning on?

Probably the ever popular '32 channeled over a shorter radiator to match the '28/29 cowl.

I'm also planning an x-member that will be 4" tall so that the floor can be sunken 2" below the frame rails, which will be about 3" lower than a stock A roadster floor. The floor and transmission/drive shaft tunnel will be sheet metal; removable but attached to the frame itself.

Although the track roadster pick-up was a huge success on almost all fronts it suffered from lack of leg room and less than chair-like seating. Lessons were learned and I want to try it again in what I consider to be the best possible configuration - a roadster and a pick up.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Today I made a bushing for a Honda that is here for a transmission. and a spacer/adapter to put an S10 shifter on a Jeep housing.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

My wife and I left yesterday morning and drove to North Dakota to look at a 1954 Chevy we thought we would buy.  When we saw the car, we decided to pass on the deal.  Today we drove home.  Over 1500 miles, in a 19 year old pickup, in two days.  Not bad for old retired people.

As a side note, somewhere north of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, the pin came out of my receiver hitch and safety chains on the car dolly did their job.  I have used that pin for over 20 years.  I do not know why it failed today.  My wife refused to walk back along the interstate to look for it.  We limped to the next town and bought a new pin.  I am so glad the dolly was empty.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Beck

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"My wife and I left yesterday morning and drove to North Dakota to look at a 1954 Chevy we thought we would buy.  When we saw the car, we decided to pass on the deal.  Today we drove home.  Over 1500 miles, in a 19 year old pickup, in two days.  Not bad for old retired people.

John

If it is over an hour drive I can't get my wife to go along. Then she tells me I need to find someone to go with me.  I'm thinking,,, Yea a new wife.

PeterR

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
As a side note, somewhere north of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, the pin came out of my receiver hitch and safety chains on the car dolly did their job.  I have used that pin for over 20 years.  I do not know why it failed today.  My wife refused to walk back along the interstate to look for it.  We limped to the next town and bought a new pin.  I am so glad the dolly was empty.

John
Same thing occurred here with the factory supplied receiver hitch on a popular import pickup.

The sharp end of the hairpin caught against the chassis mounting plate welded to the receiver socket tube.   As the inner tube joggled and the cross pin moved in the clearance hole, the end of the hairpin walked down the face of the mounting plate until the hairpin was pushed back just far enough to jump out of the cross pin.  

There was a recall notice on these.  The modification was to weld a thick plate to the rear of the chassis mount plate so it filled the space almost to the edge of the cross pin hole.   This forced the hairpin to stay near vertical and prevented the end of the hairpin catching against the plate.

enjenjo

I picked up the steel to build a 5 by 10 enclosed trailer today. Over $400. All new steel.

58 Yeoman

I'd finally gotten the bottom seat cover for the 63 Ford, and installed it yesterday.  I got the seat remounted in the car today, then adjusted the brakes a bit tighter.  My new shocks came in today for the Ranger, so i installed those this afternoon.  I can't believe they came off so easy; 10 year old truck with 108,000 miles.  

I also balanced the rear tires with my little bubble balancer. Seems the local Costco people don't know how to balance tires.  I had new tires installed in August, and the rears kept shaking.  I took it back and they rebalanced all the tires, saying that only one rear was out.  It still shook. They had 3 1/2 ounces split between the outside and inside.  I put 3 on the inside only.  Seems this truck likes the weights only on the inside.  I never had this problem with the previous Coopers; the weights were always inside, and never had to keep re-balancing them.  I think I will just do it myself from now on.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Beck

Quote from: "enjenjo"I picked up the steel to build a 5 by 10 enclosed trailer today. Over $400. All new steel.
Are you using alumininum for the exterior sheeting? How do you attach it? I have been reading about the 3M double sided tape. It is expensive but it seems to work well for the aluminum to steel bond on the walls.

I am going to need an enclosed trailer soon. 14 ft tandem axle seems right for me. I didn't know if it was cost effective to build one over buying one.

Beck

I have been spending some time transporting my parents to medical appointments. They have been on me to check out my persistent cough. I had a chest x-ray and pulmonary test, then the Dr. follow-up. Unlike my father's, all of my test have been good. Monday I go for a colonoscopy. If that turns out well I know I am sucking and blowing out of the right places.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Beck"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I picked up the steel to build a 5 by 10 enclosed trailer today. Over $400. All new steel.
Are you using alumininum for the exterior sheeting? How do you attach it? I have been reading about the 3M double sided tape. It is expensive but it seems to work well for the aluminum to steel bond on the walls.

I am going to need an enclosed trailer soon. 14 ft tandem axle seems right for me. I didn't know if it was cost effective to build one over buying one.

Yes, we are using an aluminum skin. Likely it will be riveted with blind rivets.

This trailer is kind of a special case, even though it is only 5 by 10 it will have tandem axles for a 5000 lb capacity. Plus some of the material is stuff I have on hand.

Beck

Are you not worried about the aluminum to steel contact causing corrosion? I thought there was supposed to be a barrier between them.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Beck"Are you not worried about the aluminum to steel contact causing corrosion? I thought there was supposed to be a barrier between them.

Packing tape. It's done on commercial trailers all the time. Cellophane tape prevents galvanic corrosion.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Beck"Are you not worried about the aluminum to steel contact causing corrosion? I thought there was supposed to be a barrier between them.

Packing tape. It's done on commercial trailers all the time. Cellophane tape prevents galvanic corrosion.

What! No duck tape?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Bruce Dorsi

Are the rivets steel or aluminum?  .....Won't they conduct the electrolysis?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"

Are the rivets steel or aluminum?  .....Won't they conduct the electrolysis?

Aluminum rivets. They don't seem to be a problem.