What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I'm sorry to hear she passed, but it's good that she no longer suffers. She had to be a good woman to turn out a son like you.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Sorry about your mom.  Best to you & family.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I went out to the shop today to do some clean up. So the first thing I did was move the Marlin outside. I noticed a trail of fluid when I got out of the car.

A bit of investigation showed it was leaking at the thermostat housing, a Mr Gasket O ring style. It was not loose, so I took it off to investigate further, breaking off one of the mounting bolts flush with the manifold. The water neck had corroded inside around the O ring letting it leak. Strangely enough, the local parts store had one in stock. So after an hour getting out the broken bolt, I installed studs in the manifold, and held water neck on with nuts this time, with lots of never seize.

So the wife and I took it up town for some shopping, and then came back home. When I tried to start it to put it away, I flooded it. So I pushed it in garage. I got to thinking, it's been about 20 years since I put plugs in it, so I guess I will do that first.

Never did get any cleaning done.

kb426

Phat46, my sympathies about your loss. Frank, tomorrow will get you back to where you started today. :) I sanded on the rear fenders this evening. A little more work in the morning and it will be time for the 2nd application of primer. Hope you all have a good weekend.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

phat 46, sorry to hear of the loss of your mother.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: enjenjoI went out to the shop today to do some clean up. So the first thing I did was move the Marlin outside. I noticed a trail of fluid when I got out of the car.

There is a Marlin featured in the Hot Rod Magazine I got yesterday.  Who would ever build a hot rod out or a Marlin?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

Sorry for your loss, phat.  My MIL died in early April.  Five weeks earlier she told her doctor that she was just ready to go; she was 90 and had cancer.  They sent her home and she lasted 5 weeks, a hard time for her three daughters who stayed there and took care of her.  No more pain and suffering.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Quote from: phat46My Mom passed away yesterday, she was one tough Brit.

Sam and I lost our mother in May.  It is hard to adjust to the fact that she is gone.  I often pick up the phone to call her or think about something that I should ask her.  

My thoughts are with you.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

Phat ... Sorry to hear about your Mom.. Our thoughts & prayers are with you & your family ...

Bob...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Attended Funeral Service on friday  for my friend & former neighbor Jim.  I learned the whole story on what really happened that weekend.

I will simply say if you have family or friends that are ill, keep in touch with them.  They may be annoyed or not. But they could be alive too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

The Marlin was an easy fix. The ballast resistor went bad. I had another one.

kb426

I don't know if anyone is interested but today is the Surfguitar 101 convention in LA. There is a live feed from the concert at this : http://kfjc.org/live/
TEAM SMART

phat46

Thanks guys, the showing is tomorrow, my sister is having a bad time, she lost her husband about three months ago and our childhood home was razed for a hospital expansion about three weeks ago. Been a bad year for her, but she has four brothers helping her through.

sirstude

I have been out changing the intake gaskets on my Impala.  It started leaking coolant at the front of the intake on the passenger side.  The bolt felt soft like it was stripping out.  I have had large oil consumption the last couple of years, I blamed it on the Cal Custom valve covers with no baffles.  Anyway, motor is a ZZ502 with aluminum GM Performance Products heads (made by Edelbrock)  Edelbrock calls them "Rovel" heads, they are oval ports, but much bigger than the stock big block openings.  Anyway, when I pulled the manifold, the gaskets were all messed up, see the pictures below.  I have never seen anything like this before, but no wonder it uses oil.  The manifold bolt hole on the heads was stripped, so fixed that and installed new gaskets.  Got them from Summit racing, and they fit the heads exactly, and have no blue insert on them.  Nice thick gaskets. I used Right Stuff on the water passages, and "Form a Gasket" (the brown glue) around the intake passages, and then let it sit for several hours after I bolted it down.  Snugged the bolts a couple of hours later and then put it back together.  Seems to run fine, and does not stink of rich/oil now.  Any ideas on the gaskets?  Left side in pictures is the passenger side, and near is front of engine.

Dogu
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

I took some pictures of what I got done this week on the transmission.

There was no provision for a speedometer on this trans, as originally it was driven off the transfer case. So I had to come up with a way to drive a speedometer. There was no room for a mechanical drive, so a VSS was my only choice. There was an extended area on the back side of the 5th gear on the mainshaft. The purpose of the extension is to reach the snap ring groove to hold the gear in place.

I needed some type of reluctor to activate the VSS. Digging around the shop I found a crankshaft gear that originally drove a timing chain. I bored it out, and turned down the gear extension on 5th gear for a light press fit between the two. I also narrowed the timing gear, and cut the top of the teeth flat so it would give a sharper signal.

I then located the center of the gear, bored a hole in the extension housing, and turned a sleeve to hold the VSS that would press in the hole. I also made a piece to act as a boss for the Vss hold down bolt.

The extension housing had a seal bore, but no provision for a bearing to support the main shaft. I made a fixture for a sleeve bearing that would fit a drive shaft yoke, and included a seal bore for a seal that fit the yoke.

Next I needed a way to connect the torque tube to the back of the transmission. I started with a 7/8" aluminum plate, turned a 1/4" recess on one side to index on the extension housing where the transfer case would normally bolt, and drilled it to match the bolt pattern.

I still have to make a cup to support the torque ball that will bolt to the adapter