What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I am on holiday now. Back to work on august 25 . The honeydo list is as long as ever but I hope to get some car stuff done too.

fast401

Replaced the idler on my AMX.  Had to get enjenjo to replace the bushing.  Thanks again Frank!  Took it out for a test ride and it didn't shimmy for a change.  Looks like it may need to be aligned.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!!

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"Killed about 25 scorpions tonite.  Couple of them had babies on their back. Must be breeding time

i seem to recall that you use a UV flashlight to spot them at night..

do any pet stores buy them if you trap them live???  might become profitable.  or are they just everywhere and too easy to catch.

shame that you don't have a video camera on a pole with some UV lighting so you could make a UV movie of them running around the yard for youtube profitability

i have been sitting and directing wiring repairs on an 85 Countach. so not much other than a LOT of hair pulling on my end. cussing the guy who twisted off the second 87 pin on the special relays used in some locations.   this was a lifesaver of a relay wiring poster.. http://aa-boschap-sg.resource.bosch.com/media/parts/electrical_systems_accessories__auto_parts/MKG3_Relaisposter_de_GZ.pdf i needed the 0 332 019 150 relays.

i actually found them thru wells with an autozone duralast part number but a bosch part in the box.  only 16 bucks each.  standard brand RY-88 is a different option.

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/relay-fog-lamp/duralast-relay-fog-lamp/953408_0_0/

and without a tab..

http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/relay-blower-motor/duralast-relay-blower-motor/155087_0_0/

for those who don't under stand.. there is No 87A  Normally closed contact.. there are two 87 Normally open contacts..  so when it closed you have double outputs.. like running 2 fog lamps.. dual electric fans..  or chaining power for a second relay..   relay logic is hard.. the weirdest was the ford retractable convertible tops on Lincolns and  Galaxys and early 60s Tbirds..

wayne petty

Quote from: "Arnold"Don't know what the cure is for this..I like the look of wheel nuts,the studs/ends,black shiny rims on this thing.
 Maybe all new studs.rotors/hubs whatever. Just seems like a pita
 Maybe I will just have to put the hub caps back on :cry:
 Maybe paint all the studs.new nuts. Or find longer,different nuts.

I just finished spraying this again with PB..seems that I might have to resort to some sort of grease on them..

These nuts and studs get rusty so fast..I have never seen nuts,studs get rusty so fast. Just crappy metal. Well..yes I do live in the salt capital of the world..but this goes through the car wash every few weeks.

Are there really such crappy metal in some studs,nuts that hub caps are mandatory now?

Maybe I will just take the nuts off one at a time,grease them or the stud..and put it back together and spray paint all of it :lol:

Maybe I will try and put some sort of grease? Silicone? Spray? Somethin on. I can't imgaine it not getting flung everywhere.Fluid Film?

Any ideas..Thanks :D

you did not mention what size you need..   there are many sizes here.. these people only sell to their tire dealers.. so you may need to talk to your local tire shop.. some shops have them in stock already..   so just ask for them by white knight part number.. http://www.whtknight.com/

wayne petty

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have the new engine for Shelby's Mazda on the stand. Her boy friend Brett and I pulled it weekend before last out of the Sable I bought. Last weekend we stripped the Sable the rest of the way down, and started cutting up the body. Lots of parts for sale on Craigs list. In Ohio now, you can't scrap a car without a title, but you can scrap the pieces.

I had to change the timing cover, cam covers, oil pan, upper and lower intake, the complete ignition system, retime the shutter wheel for the crank sensor, and change the water outlet. They say you have to pull a head to install the Tribute motor mount bracket, but a small notch in the bracket, and it just barely fit in. I have one cam cover, and the oil pan to do yet, and it will be ready to go in.

if you have not already swapped the pans.. be sure to count the reluctor teeth on the crank.  i am taking that is a double overhead cam 3.0L duratec motor.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Arnold"Don't know what the cure is for this..I like the look of wheel nuts,the studs/ends,black shiny rims on this thing.
 Maybe all new studs.rotors/hubs whatever. Just seems like a pita
 Maybe I will just have to put the hub caps back on :cry:
 Maybe paint all the studs.new nuts. Or find longer,different nuts.

I just finished spraying this again with PB..seems that I might have to resort to some sort of grease on them..

These nuts and studs get rusty so fast..I have never seen nuts,studs get rusty so fast. Just crappy metal. Well..yes I do live in the salt capital of the world..but this goes through the car wash every few weeks.

Are there really such crappy metal in some studs,nuts that hub caps are mandatory now?

Maybe I will just take the nuts off one at a time,grease them or the stud..and put it back together and spray paint all of it :lol:

Maybe I will try and put some sort of grease? Silicone? Spray? Somethin on. I can't imgaine it not getting flung everywhere.Fluid Film?

Any ideas..Thanks :D

Try this   http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/  Used on new nuts it should last for quite a while.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

I'm making a gate to the road at the cabin. I'm using 2" EMT conduit and bolting it together to avoid welding very much because of the galvanized coating. The biggest obstacle was how to smash the ends so I could bolt it together. 2" is pretty stout and I don't have a press. My first attempt was a "hold my beer and watch this" moment.  I put it under a farm jack with the jack under the trailer hitch on my full sized ford van. It just picked up the rear of the van and didn't flatten the tubing. Then I looked at my wood splitter and after thinking a little I came up with a perfect solution. It is very easy to control and it worked like a dream. It's not going to win a beauty contest but it should work.

Here's a few pics. The gates are almost done but it's raining right now so it's break time.
George

phat46

Good thinking George! Looks good. We have a gate at camp in the U.P. That was put up by the former owners of the property, it is about three inch heavy tubing that is welded to about eight inch posts. Someone once snuck in and got locked behind the gate and there is no other way out, they tried to pull it open with a truck and chain and just bent the three inch angle iron that crosses where the lock is. Don't know how they ever did get out, but there's miles and miles of logging trails back there they must have figured out something.

Crosley.In.AZ

Wayne: hope you are feeling well.  Enjoy the posts.

I am not sure of profit in scorpions.  SO many in AZ, seems like easy to catch.  Annihilation  of them is my goal.

On Youtube, people will watch anything. Not sure of profit on video of scorpions running around...  although many years ago , a popular web camera was a guy had setup a live camera feed under his house. (?) , he was sure there were ghost under there.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I just got home from Pueblo. I met some great people who had came from BTTF's. I'm about to go clean the 32. I left friday after a rain. It was dirty when I got there and then friday evening one of the entrance ramps for the highway had the sprinkler heads turned the wrong way. I'm not sure it had ever been dirtier. I gave it a light bath at the motel and hid it at the show. :) It was a great weekend. Good show, great weather.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Hooley and I ran the Henry J at the Ozarks Hot Rod Reunion yesterday.  (There is a thread on the HAMB with some pictures.)   He made it to the final 3 cars.  It paid for 1st and 2nd.  Had my two young grandsons and their mom and dad with us.  It was their first time at the drag strip and we all had a great day.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

We had 5" of rain yesterday, every thing is soaked through.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I've been working on the Jeepster. I broke down and re-trimmed my hammer form for the dash and beat on it some more. After some manipulating  (cutting, filing, bending bending,cursing) the dash panel was pop riveted in place and the instrument panel mounted. I got out the under dash wiring harness that I had eliminated all the unnecessary wires from and tried to figure out where it all went. I pulled out all of this stuff from the S10 (S15) that I stripped out probably six years ago. I got the correct factory wiring diagrams and enlarged them (so I could see them). I eliminated the components that I would not need and their associated wires from the diagrams with "white out". I made copies of the corrected (?) diagrams and reworked the harnesses to correspond. That all seemed like a good idea on a flat surface with good light. Under the dash with poor light after six years I forgot where anything went. I may also have to remember what I re-thunk. I did change the steering column to a newer one for tilt and the new column has a headlight dimmer switch in it. The truck I stripped had a foot operated switch in it and the wiring and connector are still in the harness. My re-manufactured harness doesn't have the wires taped in it but I don't have a floor yet to mount a switch to. That and I'd probably have to add some kind of relay to handle the headlight current, This doesn't mean that the "Bomb" will be running by the "Fourth of July" but maybe I'll be able to turn the key and hear the fuel pump start. GPster

WZ JUNK

I bought a tig welder and I am learning a new welding skill.  The welder is a Lincoln 225 like Sumner bought. Between advise from Sumner and my friend Doug Lee, who is a retired welding teacher, I hope to master tig.  When I made my sons wedding band out of stainless I learned enough to get that job done, but I need to improve.   I have started by running some beads on steel.  I will practice a little each day and they move on to aluminum.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

wayne petty

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I bought a tig welder and I am learning a new welding skill.  The welder is a Lincoln 225 like Sumner bought. Between advise from Sumner and my friend Doug Lee, who is a retired welding teacher, I hope to master tig.  When I made my sons wedding band out of stainless I learned enough to get that job done, but I need to improve.   I have started by running some beads on steel.  I will practice a little each day and they move on to aluminum.

John

i have always wondered about bending little pieces of sheet metal and adding magnets to the bottom bend to close off the areas around where i would be welding to keep the shielding gas from blowing away or being diluted.  i don't have a welder currently..  i also noted in an online video that one company was welding galvanized arches and the workers were breathing the fumes.

just a thought..