What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

John, if you have exp. with oxy/act. or stick, I predict it will take a few minutes to learn. If you have no exp. with alum., it will take a little longer. There surely is a good youtube vid that has a closeup so you can see the color change on alum. I think you will find you really enjoy this skill. :)
TEAM SMART

Glen

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I bought a tig welder and I am learning a new welding skill.  The welder is a Lincoln 225 like Sumner bought. Between advise from Sumner and my friend Doug Lee, who is a retired welding teacher, I hope to master tig.  When I made my sons wedding band out of stainless I learned enough to get that job done, but I need to improve.   I have started by running some beads on steel.  I will practice a little each day and they move on to aluminum.

John

practice without filler rod first, just get used to the pedal and hand movement and try puddling on your steel.  then once you get the hang of how much pedal it takes to puddle, you can start adding in the filler rod.  one step at a time.

moose

Quote from: "wayne petty"

i have always wondered about bending little pieces of sheet metal and adding magnets to the bottom bend to close off the areas around where i would be welding to keep the shielding gas from blowing away or being diluted.  i don't have a welder currently..  i also noted in an online video that one company was welding galvanized arches and the workers were breathing the fumes.

just a thought..

Magnets and electric welding do not play well together, especially strong magnets. The magnetic fields plays havoc with the weld current!

moose

Arnold

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Arnold"Don't know what the cure is for this..I like the look of wheel nuts,the studs/ends,black shiny rims on this thing.
 Maybe all new studs.rotors/hubs whatever. Just seems like a pita
 Maybe I will just have to put the hub caps back on :cry:
 Maybe paint all the studs.new nuts. Or find longer,different nuts.

I just finished spraying this again with PB..seems that I might have to resort to some sort of grease on them..

These nuts and studs get rusty so fast..I have never seen nuts,studs get rusty so fast. Just crappy metal. Well..yes I do live in the salt capital of the world..but this goes through the car wash every few weeks.

Are there really such crappy metal in some studs,nuts that hub caps are mandatory now?

Maybe I will just take the nuts off one at a time,grease them or the stud..and put it back together and spray paint all of it :lol:

Maybe I will try and put some sort of grease? Silicone? Spray? Somethin on. I can't imgaine it not getting flung everywhere.Fluid Film?

Any ideas..Thanks :D

Try this   http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/  Used on new nuts it should last for quite a while.

Thanks Enjenjo.Wayne :D

Wayne..I did not know that nuts came that thick..and coverred.
   Enjenjo..That Gibbs stuff sounds worth a try..Sounds a bit like "Fluid Film"

chimp koose

Spent the morning machining the top of a blower intake for a friends blown alcohol tractor puller . Got a call from another buddy who runs a soon to be 9 second FE powered full bodied fairlane . Just modified his shocks a month ago . My summer is starting to get busy !

enjenjo

I started adapting a T5 to a 31 Chevy closed drive shaft. So far I have the shaft connection figured out, still pondering on a bearing/bushing to support the rear of the mainshaft.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, is where you have to put the bearing a reduced shaft size so you'll have to make spacers to adapt to the id of the bearing?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, is where you have to put the bearing a reduced shaft size so you'll have to make spacers to adapt to the id of the bearing?

There is bulkhead with a seal in the extension housing. My thought is to make an insert for the bulkhead that will hold a seal, and behind that a bearing or bushing, that will fit the slip yoke that is there for the Ujoint. All that is holding me up right now is making sure the yoke is compatible with the output shaft. Making the insert should be no problem.

enjenjo

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "kb426"Frank, is where you have to put the bearing a reduced shaft size so you'll have to make spacers to adapt to the id of the bearing?

There is bulkhead with a seal in the extension housing. My thought is to make an insert for the bulkhead that will hold a seal, and behind that a bearing or bushing, that will fit the slip yoke that is there for the Ujoint. All that is holding me up right now is making sure the yoke is compatible with the output shaft. Making the insert should be no problem.

Thr shaft won't be in until tuesday :cry: But on the good side, the coils for Shelby's car came in today, they weren't supposed to be here until next thursday. But the bolts for the coils didn't come in. :cry:

kb426

This will be off topic for auto but I'll use auto skills. Today I'm finally putting my FET reverb kit that I bought last summer together. I'll post a pic later when it's done. :) This reverb is a clone of the 1963 Fender tube driven reverb that is important to instrumental surf and rockabilly music. Instead of using tubes, it uses field effect transistors to power it. Useless trivia lesson over. :)
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

happy 4th...  

wayne...  i thought you guys would enjoy this..

kb426

Here's the FET reverb kit that I built. I purchased the electrical components and built the enclosure.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Spent couple hours today on clean up 'start' on my shop.  Time to reduce the piles I have built.  Moving trans parts out I dont need any longer.

Some parts loaded in the truck.  Take to work.  Sell some as cores,, others into scrap dumpsters.  I had 8 bell housings for small Ford 6 to C4 automatic trans. I kept 2 of them, for some reason

Empty boxes tossed. I keep the boxes if I "need them" , LOL  Still more to toss, the recycle can was full, even after I cut boxes up
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

I finished putting back together the chipper/shredder that I took apart yesterday to sharpen the blades and get the flails unstuck.  Got it together, started it up and ran it for a while, then changed oil.   Wow...what a difference sharp blades and working flails makes.  Gave it a good wash with the pressure washer.  It's a '91 Sears model with 5hp.

Wife came out and cleaned a couple storage bins with the washer.  We had lunch, and I came back to find the pressure washer running and water running out of the handle.  1900psi B&D pos.  We checked online only to find that this model is discontinued because they were having so much trouble with the leaks in the handles.  Sorry, you're SOL.  That will be my last b&d anything.

Last week, the Cabrio (another pos) dryer quit working.  Fiddled with it for a couple days, then went and bought a new Speed Queen to match the SQ washer I bought a few months ago. This dealer told me that the Whirlpool Cabrios were junk from the get go; alot to go wrong and expensive to fix.  I parted out the washer parts on ebay, and at least got a couple hundred for those.  The dryer, nah. A guy on CL buys appliances for fix up/repair.  I got $40 for it.  Good riddance.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

moose

Just after Holiday yard work. Hall brush to the back woods area cut rest of grass. A little time welding on the coupe!