What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "416Ford"Well tonight we are celebrating.
Vickie and I are the new proud parents of a 1968 Torino. Title FINALLY came in the mail last night. We hope to have many happy years with it. :D  :D

Pictures ...PICTURES !!!!!  

The people on this board demand PICTURES !!!  LOTS of pictures !!!

Bob ...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I am switching because the LEDs use less electricity, less than half of the florescent. Plus the ballasts are eliminated, which for some reason I had to replace frequently.

Yep , same here.  yet the gubmint banning the light bulb we all grew up with is stupid IMHO. Other bulbs are scheduled to disappear too.  

That is why I was looking at LED & the High energy conversions for my 8 foot florescent fixtures last yr.  "They" keep telling us we are saving energy & the world.  LOL

Local lectric power company installed a hi-tech feed-back meter on my house 3 yrs ago.  I came home to a notice on the door that a new meter would be installed between xx date & xx date the following week. Odd, since the meter was already installed 2 days earlier.

So:  I can check my daily lectric use online now.   Since my new 6k $ heat pump was installed in the house in august, the daily lectric use has come down. Not much tho.  But the new heat pump has the cleaner freon in it and now the bunny rabbits can hop farther  and birds are chirping more.  LOL  

While China pollutes enough for 3 countrys.  But that is fair, I guess
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I am switching because the LEDs use less electricity, less than half of the florescent. Plus the ballasts are eliminated, which for some reason I had to replace frequently.

Yep , same here.  yet the gubmint banning the light bulb we all grew up with is stupid IMHO. Other bulbs are scheduled to disappear too.  

That is why I was looking at LED & the High energy conversions for my 8 foot florescent fixtures last yr.  "They" keep telling us we are saving energy & the world.  LOL

Local lectric power company installed a hi-tech feed-back meter on my house 3 yrs ago.  I came home to a notice on the door that a new meter would be installed between xx date & xx date the following week. Odd, since the meter was already installed 2 days earlier.

So:  I can check my daily lectric use online now.   Since my new 6k $ heat pump was installed in the house in august, the daily lectric use has come down. Not much tho.  But the new heat pump has the cleaner freon in it and now the bunny rabbits can hop farther  and birds are chirping more.  LOL  

While China pollutes enough for 3 countrys.  But that is fair, I guess

I was in China earlier this year and the pollution is crazy, water, air and ground. I was there three weeks and never saw a star at night. It was a very clear day when you could see a mile from my 20th floor hotel room. The rivers were hard to believe, there was actually people in boats harvesting trash from the rivers! If "the world" is serious about pollution they really need to get China in line.

kb426

I have another one for you. Next April, the water heaters fall under new rules. The replacements will be 2" larger in diameter and 2" taller. If you have space problems, be forewarned.
I'm pretending to be Mr. Bondo today. :)
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

Quote from: "phat46"I was in China earlier this year and the pollution is crazy, water, air and ground. I was there three weeks and never saw a star at night. It was a very clear day when you could see a mile from my 20th floor hotel room. The rivers were hard to believe, there was actually people in boats harvesting trash from the rivers! If "the world" is serious about pollution they really need to get China in line.

hmm... that describes us or U.S.  during most of the 20th century..

just one of the many...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahoga_River

when i drive over toward glendale i come across a view of the san gabriel mountains.   what hits me is that i can see them almost every time i go that way. when i was growing up here.. the smog was so thick that some days you could not see more than 3 or 4 blocks.

something else strange... one of the local shows visited the NWS offices in oxnard. a woman working there was ask what she did..  she said she monitored the yellow dust coming off the Gobi desert and the smog that crosses the pacific from china.    when the smog comes across the pacific ocean. the particles are so small they don't attract enough water molecules to make it rail.. it just stays as clouds .. but when the dust from Gobi desert blows out across the pacific in the right direction.. it attracts enough moisture to not only make it rain on the west coast but it will also cause snow fall..

here is what normally causes the  hurricanes in the atlantic.
http://gcaptain.com/monstrous-saharan-dust-cloud-puts/

a few days later in the pacific..

http://gcaptain.com/hawaii-braces-one-two-punch/

now.. did all that moisture from the storms blown apart cause this... or did the rest of the dust cloud off the sahara cause this as it blew out into the pacific..

http://gcaptain.com/super-typhoon-nears-philippines-as-2013-strongest-storm-on-earth/

could i be wrong??  perhaps..

has anybody else noticed that when there is a MASSIVE fire on the west coast. that there are major weather storms in other parts of the country..

could the ash from fires be causing the increased weather activity downwind... where is can collect major amounts of moisture to the wood ash..  i bet it does..

is the smog coming out of the los angeles area causing the drought conditions in arizona? new mexico and texas or other southern middle states?..  

do the dust storms that blow up in arizona cause weather in other areas.. dust storms in az don't get reported here in so cal for more that 10 seconds. so its hard for me to keep track..

many of you live in the midwest... talk to your local weather casters... they might make better forecast's

examining how much moisture that various ash can attract might be an interesting study..  

i have been asking the governors office.. both the governators office and the current brown office about perhaps arranging some dust studies and perhaps using something like the DC10 water bomber or asking the air national guard or air force to make a few runs out over the north central pacific ocean and deposit some carefully selected dust out into the weather fronts coming toward the west coast..

with the reservoirs almost empty on the west coast.. many over 130 feet below  normal.. it might be worth a try...

Crosley.In.AZ

Shop cleaning around the Morris that sits on my chassis bed.  I placed the car shell on this fixture in january 2007

Cleaned off some shelf areas , tosssed some old stuff out, boxed up other stuff. Much more to do yet, that needed done months (yrs) ago
Tony

grazza

Your post is a very interesting read Wayne and puts forward many thought provoking questions. I particularly like your idea of "Dust Seeding" weather fronts mate. Wonder if anyone will take any notice?
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone

Crosley.In.AZ

Could be something there on the weather, Wayne.  Seems like I read articles years ago on cloud seeding with various chemicals.  Might be how the "chem-trail" believers started? The Gubmint is controlling citizens thru chemicals dropped from above.

Saturday afternoon we were hit with heavy wind and rains again in metro Phoenix .  If I can blame Calliefornia for that, kool beans
Tony

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"Could be something there on the weather, Wayne.  Seems like I read articles years ago on cloud seeding with various chemicals.  Might be how the "chem-trail" believers started? The Gubmint is controlling citizens thru chemicals dropped from above.

Saturday afternoon we were hit with heavy wind and rains again in metro Phoenix .  If I can blame Calliefornia for that, kool beans

i laugh about the chem trails believers... yes.. they are going to control us by spreading chemicals at 40,000 feet that will be above the top of most clouds...
but it sells books.. and gets youtube clicks..contrails do cool the country..there was a study for 3 days after 9/11 when Every plane was grounded.. the average temps increased i think 6F for those days without contrails across the middle of the country..

and the storms you got.. well. that's just vapors off the Dos XX beer plant in old mexico.   if the flash floods come in off the desert and flood into town.. you should contact the city and county about during the dry months.. to carve out ditches across the arroyos bottoms... lots of them.. so the flood waters will fill the first ditch.. then when that one is full.. it floods into the next one to fill it.. then the next one... it will take a lot of digging . and probably with a long arm excavator..    it will also raise the ground water table. as it will recharge the aquafer..    creative hole drilling and drilled pipes dropped in that are wrapped with a filter cloth sleeve around them will allow only water and not animals or crawling things to fill the pipe and go directly deep into the ground..   if they ask some forward thinking people..  they will be able to carve these that are wide and shallow enough to not capture people and animals when they are dry..  and also not be a visible hash mark on the desert   hint.. start way up the arroyo.. and move equipment in and out only in the arroyo..  hence the reason for the excavator not the tractors..  scoop, spin and dump in the truck behind the excavator in the arroyo bottom.  back the excavator farther downstream for another dig out..  no tracks in the desert are left to annoy activists..  its just a thought..  could also be used in vegas and other desert city areas... only the arroyo areas are dug out.

will a few holes dug out in the arroyo bottom stop flash floods.. perhaps not. but if enough are dug.. and deep and wide enough it could significantly reduce it.  and recharge the ground water instead of letting it run off.

just some more forward thinking to save money and property in the long run..

Rrumbler

An interesting read, Wayne.  I, too, remember "the smog era"; we moved from Montebello to Temple City in 1946, stayed there 'til '55, then to Azusa  until '58.  I remember many days when I couldn't see the mountains from a half mile away, and breathing was difficult.  In '66, my Bride and I returned to the Pomona Valley from Twentynine Palms, and the year we were there was absolutely miserable because of the smog.  Things are so much better these days, even though by the standards of the Hugh Desert, they are still uncomfortable.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

UGLY OLDS

Wayne ...
 They did something very similar to what you are suggesting in Chicago ..
Google the "Deep Tunnel Project " & you will see how they dug miles & miles of tunnels 350' ++ below Chicago ...   Between the tunnels & de-commissioned quarry's , the capacity of this system is in the BILLIONS of gallons ...  :idea:

It's just starting to be used after being designed in the 70's... REALLY  a major project ......

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Cleaned up floor around and under the Morris.  Stuff up on shelves, some parts put in overhead storage.

Clean thick layer of dirt off the car too. Hung drivers door back on, discovered fitment problem with door inner handle.  hits the roll bar , took handle off

More to do, still
Tony

purplepickup

The local dragstrip had a Ford Fun Weekend event and a friend asked me if I wanted to go.  He has 3 factory race Cobra Jet Mustangs. Two 2010 5.4L cars and a 2014 5.0.   The races were bracket style and they had a fastest 5.0 shootout.  The 2010's ran consistently in the high 9's @ around 135-140mph.  The 2014 ran in the high 8's @ 152-158mph.  It took the 5.0 shootout.  The weather was a perfect fall day and we all had a great time.  

It was my first time playing with a new GoPro camera so the pics aren't so great and the videos aren't worth posting.  I learned that the zoom is digital and it really screws up the video when I used it.  Here's some stills I took with it.

George

Carnut

I just replaced all the steering components on my 67 Dodge Charger.

All were original equipment with 50k mi. on them.

FA5102 Idler Arm - 59.99
20101  pitman Arm - 141.99
ES319R Tie Rod End - 35.99
ES319R Tie Rod End - 35.99
ES319L Tie Rod End - 35.99
ES319L Tie Rod End - 35.99

Who the heck designs a car with a wearable pitman arm?

I've eyeballed and tapemeasured the toe in, guess I'll be looking for someone I can trust to check the alignment.

That's a lot of work for this old guy.

Heh, heh, I had just been bragging to a friend that all my rides have running at the same time for the first time in a long time. Then the Charger promptly started making tire noises.

And just now after putting the Charger back in the garage and getting out the Chrysler the dadgum hand brake mechanism falls apart. Who the heck designs a car and puts a drum brake hand brake on an automatic transmission?

wayne petty

the gear shift knob i want for my next car or truck..

http://imgur.com/r/pics/sf445Qw