What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "kb426"John, I understand. :)

Still better than a garbage packer.

X2 on that !!!!  :roll:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Frank, I'll take your word on the garbage thing. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Third year of my apprenticeship ....."Refuse  Packers" .. ( IE: Garbage trucks ...)    Empty.. Full ..Half full... The apprentice always needs to "learn"... Correct  :?:  :?:  :twisted:
 Why do you think they put side doors in packer bodies :?:

Bob.. :wink:

enjenjo

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Third year of my apprenticeship ....."Refuse  Packers" .. ( IE: Garbage trucks ...)    Empty.. Full ..Half full... The apprentice always needs to "learn"... Correct  :?:  :?:  :twisted:

The end for me was when a large dog somehow got behind the packer wall, then was in there for several days before they found it. :twisted: In the summer.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Third year of my apprenticeship ....."Refuse  Packers" .. ( IE: Garbage trucks ...)    Empty.. Full ..Half full... The apprentice always needs to "learn"... Correct  :?:  :?:  :twisted:

The end for me was when a large dog somehow got behind the packer wall, then was in there for several days before they found it. :twisted: In the summer.

The one that really sticks in my mind was having to go in through the side door of a 3/4 loaded body & change a packer blade cylinder... ( The blade that packs whatever is in the rear hopper up into the body ..)
Wading waist deep in refuse filled with maggots & who knows what, very limited light, EVERYTHING covered with hydraulic oil.... :shock:

I remember thinking if I REALLY wanted to pursue this "mechanic" thing .  :roll:

Of course my buddy the apprentice plumber had his own horror stories ... Catch basins ..Septic Tanks ...sewers with "critters"...Etc ...

We were supplied uniforms that would some times get "lost" in a packer instead of being cleaned & reused  ....He had to buy his own clothes ... :cry:

Of course , he's retired now ...Me  :?:  :?:   Don't ask .... :twisted:

Bob .... :wink:

enjenjo

I went to Toledo and picked up a load of lumber I bought on Craig's list. Then I replaced some lights in my shop. Menards has some LED  replacements for florescent bulbs. So far I have converted 4 fixtures. They seem brighter, use less electricity, and are rated for 100,000 hours. I have been doing them a couple at a time since the bulbs for a two light fixture cost $37.

moose

Quote from: "enjenjo"I went to Toledo and picked up a load of lumber I bought on Craig's list. Then I replaced some lights in my shop. Menards has some LED  replacements for florescent bulbs. So far I have converted 4 fixtures. They seem brighter, use less electricity, and are rated for 100,000 hours. I have been doing them a couple at a time since the bulbs for a two light fixture cost $37.

How are they rated for cold temp starting?

Rrumbler

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

The one that really sticks in my mind was having to go in through the side door of a 3/4 loaded body & change a packer blade cylinder... ( The blade that packs whatever is in the rear hopper up into the body ..)
Wading waist deep in refuse filled with maggots & who knows what, very limited light, EVERYTHING covered with hydraulic oil.... :shock:

I remember thinking if I REALLY wanted to pursue this "mechanic" thing .  :roll:

Of course my buddy the apprentice plumber had his own horror stories ... Catch basins ..Septic Tanks ...sewers with "critters"...Etc ...

We were supplied uniforms that would some times get "lost" in a packer instead of being cleaned & reused  ....He had to buy his own clothes ... :cry:

Of course , he's retired now ...Me  :?:  :?:   Don't ask .... :twisted:

Bob .... :wink:

Ah, yessss, stinky war stories.

Part of my job as a Lineman, And a Substation/Switchyard Electrician was cleaning up after critters, varmints, and sadly, the occasional human that came into close contact with multi-thousand volt electricity.  No real nightmares, any more, but that smell is deeply engrained in my brain.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

enjenjo

Quote from: "moose"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I went to Toledo and picked up a load of lumber I bought on Craig's list. Then I replaced some lights in my shop. Menards has some LED  replacements for florescent bulbs. So far I have converted 4 fixtures. They seem brighter, use less electricity, and are rated for 100,000 hours. I have been doing them a couple at a time since the bulbs for a two light fixture cost $37.

How are they rated for cold temp starting?

They are rated for -20F I made a mistake on the price, they are now $39.99 each. I will still buy them. They need no ballast and are wired directly to 115V. So as long as your fixture will hold bulbs, you can convert it.

http://www.menards.com/main/led/feit-led-non-dimmable-4-linear-lamp/p-2123203-c-7482.htm

I found them cheaper on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOZYBI2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00GR0K9JY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0NHPJ9TYKAJC00C1VZ1E

Crosley.In.AZ

They are rated for -20F I made a mistake on the price, they are now $39.99 each. I will still buy them. They need no ballast and are wired directly to 115V. So as long as your fixture will hold bulbs, you can convert it.

http://www.menards.com/main/led/feit-led-non-dimmable-4-linear-lamp/p-2123203-c-7482.htm

I found them cheaper on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOZYBI2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00GR0K9JY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0NHPJ9TYKAJC00C1VZ1E

We were at Lowes last year... Buying 8 foot light tubes for my shop. Checked out the LED stuff. I would need to convert to 4 foot tubes, with the items offered by Lowes at that time.  About 120 a fixture for $$

At the check out...  tree hugger behind me with battery powered leaf blower (we watched him ride up on a bicycle as we walked into Lowes) ... He starts telling me to buy LED.  I told him if he would pay the 120 dollars a fixture to convert my lights times 15 fixtures, I would.  He shut up

:idea:

I have converted most of landscape lites to LED.. Had a few LED last less than 6 months... so far , is OK

have a couple of LED in the house...  regular round bulb type fixture..  PAR30  size , I think ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

I have some Feit brand LEDs at my place...60w standard bulb replacements. I'm quite pleased with them in every way after a year in service. Plenty of light and better quality of light than CFL.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jaybee"I have some Feit brand LEDs at my place...60w standard bulb replacements. I'm quite pleased with them in every way after a year in service. Plenty of light and better quality of light than CFL.

We have the high K rating CFL stuff. 6k or 6500k  I think.  Very white light.  You are correct, better light , We like it.

The LED bulbs for house use, the prices still chase me away.  Lowes & Home Depot have various LED bulbs on discount counters now.  Still hard for me to pay 20 -25 dollars for a LED light in regular light bulb size.  I dont think the long life and durability are there yet.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

The LED bulb thing reminds me of the guvmint saving us money with the low water toilets...that clog up on a sheet of toilet paper...and require a plunger by every one. I'm reasonably certain that the Amalgamated Plunger Lobby  was the chief helper on that deal.....
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I am switching because the LEDs use less electricity, less than half of the florescent. Plus the ballasts are eliminated, which for some reason I had to replace frequently.

416Ford

Well tonight we are celebrating.
Vickie and I are the new proud parents of a 1968 Torino. Title FINALLY came in the mail last night. We hope to have many happy years with it. :D  :D
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.