What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucketmouth

The roadster has been running a bit rough lately so I did a couple of test and found the compression was down so off with the heads and found a couple of cracked valves.
I replaced the heads yesterday and it's all good again. I hate doing maintenance work.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

Carnut

Well I've been getting more than bit jealous of all the work KB426 is putting into his pickup, so I finally got enough urge to get out and work on my old 77 Silverado Pickup. I bought it new and have tried to take a bit of care of it in keeping it around but alass the factory stock perforated headliner started to sag down after about 20yrs or so, so I had it replaced by an upholstery shop with a newer style felt type headliner that I actually liked better.

But again after 20yrs or so it's started sagging. Now I'm the posterboy for skinflint pennypincher so I've had to live with it for awhile because I couldn't afford to have it replaced again, heh, heh, so soon after the first one.

Then when whinning to my friend Roger aka T-vicky about it, he suggested using some strips of wood put up kinda like the metal spars that go across some hardtop headliners.

Bingo!!, I could do this so headed to the hardware store to procure some wood strips and with a little bending put them in.

Kinda looks odd with bare wood but I am delighted with the results cheap and to the point. Some day I may get some tan latex paint and paint both the remaining felt and the wood all at the same time. Dunno. Years ago had an inlaw paint the headliner in his old 54 Chevy with white latex and it came out great and stiffened up real good.

Anyhow my little project doesn't put me anywhere near the same league as KB426 but I'm still tickled with what I got done.

enjenjo

I delivered the 47 Chevy today, then Josh and I pulled down the rear in his Mustang for a new locker, and bigger axles.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

I am headed to Tulsa to watch Hooley run the Henry J (Okie Twister) at the "Nitro Nationals"  nostalgia race.  A fun day with some friends and I do not have to work.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

We got Josh's car back together, we found out the axles are for a SN95, and not a Fox, but we spaced out the brakes and made them work. I made a tool on the lathe to install the new axle bearings.

Spent the rest of the day working on the back shop building, we finished up installing all the parts of the scissor trusses, still need more screws in them, and some gussets installed.

chimp koose

hello carnut, what would happen if you tried to hairspray the headliner and then remove the wood strips?I have always wondered if that would work in a case like yours.

Carnut

Hummm, dunno, might try the hairspray for the fun of it, but I'm pretty sure I will leave the wood strips in. Not real sure if I'll need to get another 20yrs out of it.

WZ JUNK

A great day at the drag strip Saturday.  Hooley's "Okie Twister" was the fastest of the gasser field with a best of 8.82 et.  He made it to the last 6 cars and lost in a very good close run.  There are a lot of pictures at

http://www.crablogic.com/nitronats14.htm

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

purplepickup

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"A great day at the drag strip Saturday.
John
I was hoping you'd put up something about the Nitro Nationals, John.  Thanks.

And Hooley, if you read this, you ain't doin' too bad for a geezer :wink:

Now I've got more pics to save into my 'Hooley' folder. I think I'm a groupie. :D
George

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "purplepickup"I think I'm a groupie. :D

I like Charlie's term  a "Hooligan"

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Charlie Chops 1940

Great batch of pictures John - thanks for the link. I enjoyed looking through them. Hooley did GOOD...burned a lot of racing fuel I'm sure.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Today I worked on an asphalt paving machine.  I had my driveway done in asphalt last Friday.  A large pillow block bearing on one of the track wheels broke at the end of the job.  We were able to move it enough to get it out of the way and on to my front lawn.  Today I jacked it up, and removed what was left of the bearing.  Working on an asphalt spreader is a sticky, gooie, dirty job, and a lot of the parts are big and heavy.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"John, I understand. :)

Still better than a garbage packer.

enjenjo

I cleaned up the shop today, 34 Ford delivery coming tomorrow.