What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

don't look now..  this is better than getting the sears tool catalog..  or even a snap on catalog..

http://www.roushyatesparts.com/

enjenjo

I have a duty coming up this week end I am not looking forward to it. My dad has Shingles, and it's affecting his mobility. I have to convince him to stop driving, until he gets better, and I don't think it will be easy.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have a duty coming up this week end I am not looking forward to it. My dad has Shingles, and it's affecting his mobility. I have to convince him to stop driving, until he gets better, and I don't think it will be easy.

A tough one.  A friend had to do that with his dad that had Alzeimers.   Went for a drive with his dad so the dad could prove all was fine.  they drove past dad's house 3 times trying to find it.

Sadly the mom and 2 brothers were all on dad's side.  My buddy won the battle.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"don't look now..  this is better than getting the sears tool catalog..  or even a snap on catalog..

http://www.roushyatesparts.com/

hmmm, Sears still has a catalog?   :?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have a duty coming up this week end I am not looking forward to it. My dad has Shingles, and it's affecting his mobility. I have to convince him to stop driving, until he gets better, and I don't think it will be easy.

That will not be pleasant I'm sure Frank. It's really hard to make people understand what would be best for them, I'm sure I'll be that way when the time comes also. My mother turned 90 yesterday and insists on living on her own, she's legally blind and it's getting difficult for her to walk. She would be so much better off at a senior housing residence, but she won't even discuss it.

WZ JUNK

I went through this two years ago with my mother.  I used the argument that she could have an accident that would hurt others, maybe a car with little children.  She finally said okay and we gave her car to my uncle.  

Good luck.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

grazza

Good luck with it all Frank. My Mum is 92 and like phat's she has no interest in going to live with all them old people. Also legally blind, have to repeat everything numerous times before she hears/understands, and has trouble walking further than a few yards, but steadfastly refuses to move in with "other old people", instead remains in her Unit, alone. Thankfully the Doctors took her licence off her many years ago.

Mind you, I think I'll buck pretty hard when the time comes to hand my licence in as well. But then that's different isn't it? I mean I'll be able to handle a car no worries, not like all them other old sods.  :wink:
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone

kb426

I just returned from the Hooker Ok. show. The pics are of some unusual cars.
TEAM SMART

Rrumbler

Lemmee see here: A Chrysler convertible, a Hudson pickup, and a Crosley; right??  Unusual is an apt descriptor.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

58 Yeoman

I think that's a Studebaker convertible.  I just saw one of those Hudson PU's last week in a parking lot.  I wasn't able to  stop to look at it though.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Yesterday my brothers, my nieces and nephews, grandchildren and I went over to my parents house and had a clean up party. We cut down a bunch of trees and brush around the barn, cleaned out the barn, repaired the roof on one of the sheds, filled a 15 yard dumpster with brush and junk, two trucks and a trailer with fire wood, and a load of scrap metal to recycle.

We also discussed driving with my dad, and he was able to see our point.So all in all we had a fun day, and got a lot done.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank,

Those king of days make ya feel useful. The frosting was Dad's agreement to stay safe.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

moose

Picking up limbs branches and twigs while listening to the dulcet tones of my generator for the 45th straight hour... Storms suck!!! DTE claims we will be back on the grid by midnight. We will see! At least I have the generator to keep things running and the basement dry.

moose

GPster

Been working on the Jeepster trying to remember where the wires and vacuum hoses go as I work towards getting the engine running again. Wayne instructed me where to go for factory wiring diagrams that I got years ago. I had already eliminated from the diagrams the things I will not need/use so the diagrams have been done so now I just have to hook-up what's left. I am having problems with GM's component abbreviations and their location so I'm identifying things by the color of the wires going to them. Worked  well enough till I found one component with  a Red wire on it but could find nothing on the diagram that matched it. Must have been replaced with an aftermarket part because I had to trace it back till I found that red wire in a junction with three Pink wires w/black traces. Solving that problem earned me the right to take a brake so I walked over town to see the yearly car show in connection with Marietta's Stern Wheel Festival. Was one "Rat Rod" pickup there that was an old "Corn Binder" cab sitting on a '90 S10 chassis with it's 2.5L four still in it for power. Talked to the owner for awhile and left with a good feeling that what I'm doing should work. I am doing something. I'm just not good at typing about it. GPster

chimp koose

Enjenjo, what a great way of breaching the driving subject with your dad! When everyone is there to help and there are many things to do , bringing up the subject would be much easier to do as you could discuss it while working on something else that is helpful.This would make the discussion less of an occasion where a son is telling a father what to do and more of situation where you are for sure looking out for his best interests. In my years of teaching I have come to realize that some of the most delicate discussions are best dealt with while physically doing something productive."we need to talk " is the easiest way to set someone on the defensive.I am always amazed at how easily people will share feelings or concerns while working together. There is something emotionally disarming about having a task to perform while you enter into a meaningful conversation. Think back to the times when your parents told you something that stuck with you or conveyed their concern for your wellbeing and it was likely while doing some task that needed doing. I have had many a student confide in me over the years and in most cases it was while working with them on something. I am glad to hear your weekend went well.