What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I have spent some time looking over the Jeepster. I'm thinking that if i got the motor running I would be less disgusted with it because it had some life.With the gas tank mounted it could have fuel delivery but the return line to the tank needs me to mount the canister. finding a place to mount it makes me see the mess of power steering hoses that I have too clean up. Moving to another area I remembered that there is only a plastic bag taped to the tail housing of the transmission. I was going to ask for suggestions for a simple seal that I could use so that the trans could stay on the back of the engine if it  was running.. Then I remembered that PARK is not functioning in the trans so maybe having the drive shaft in it would be better.Then I'd need to put the rear end up on jack stands because there's no brakes on it. Of course the drive shaft needs to be shortened. It would be easy to measure for  drive shaft length because there is no floor in the Jeepster's body. Only the seat and the front end sheet metal are sitting in the body because of clutter in my shop. Time to  do something else. It was raining yesterday which made it a good time to wash the dirt off my BLACK truck.I was going to put washing the truck on here just to make a comment to feel like I still belonged but then remembered that WINDOWS had decided to bless us with an update that cleaned our memory, our favorites  and screen. It also changed our keyboard to make it faster than I am so I spent the last 10 minutes removing all the double letters that I typed. GPster

enjenjo

I spent the morning repairing the exhaust manifold on a D17 Allis
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

just drew up a rough draft for a 20" box fan mosquito and fly trap..

cheep box fans fall over really easily.. the blades then break off.. making them useless..

many big box hardware stores sell 24x48" sheets of plywood.. and some stores offer free cuts..   so if you cut at 22" and a second at 8 inches.. that leaves you about 18 inches left..

cut the 8 inch strip in half.

1x2" to hold the fiberglass screen cloth or aluminum window screen folded in a bag shape to the 22 inch tall panel..  cut the opening after you have fitted the screen bag..

short sections of the 1x2s attached to the 8x12" panels to guide the big panel in and out..  to make it removable.

you will need some angled simpson strong ties to hold the plywood panel edges together with some short screws.

its just an idea.. and getting rid of flies and mosquitos is far better than a case of west nile virus..

Canuck

Just a short update, just to show that I have not been sleeping (just taking short naps) .

On any build, I feel that there are some activities that seem to be major mileposts. For me the first time the frame rolled with axles and wheels was the first, then the first fit of the body, then the engine. One day it will be the first drive down the street. For now I have to enjoy the first application of paint, real paint not primer. Using PPG LP40LF as a primer and BESA Polyurethane Enamel for final paint.

Been spending lots of time cleaning Tremclad off various parts that I had previously marked as done and cleaning surface rust off parts that were set aside as ready to paint and install. So far have cleaned, washed, tacked off, epoxy primed and painted over 100 small parts, ranging in size from a rear differential to an individual bolts. Had to do this in lots of 30 – 40 pieces as there is only so much room to hang the parts for drying. Now to wrap the parts to insure they are not damaged before they can be installed.

The sheet metal is in high build primer and blocked with 320 so close to ready as well.

Drive shaft, exhaust, fuel lines, brake lines, E-brake cables, steering, shift linkage, dropped headlight bar are all done and sitting in storage. Just trans cooler lines to go.

Frame needs some final welding on areas that were on underside or hard to get at locations then paint. Should be done in next week or so. Then the sheet metal will come in for final paint while frame starts to get assembled.

For those that think it will be on the road soon, still have the interior to do, seeing as I haven't done that kind of work for quite a few years, it may take a while.

For a summary of things that have taken place in-between, check my blog where I catalogue happenings as they happen.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

kb426

Canuck, I read alot of your blog. You're looking good. Keep us posted. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

That A is looking good.

Finished picking up all the roofing nails in the yard with a magnet, kept going over it until no more came up.

Fatcat and I made an exhaust system for his van out of junk we had laying around, it came out pretty good.

Josh and I tore down the 4,3 out of the S10 SS I blew up in may in Arizona. I diagnosed it as a broken timing chain, that was right. I did not diagnose the number six rod having spun, and broken in two. :shock: I guess we will have to come up with a plan B.

unklian

Machining parts for an English Wheel today.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"That A is looking good.

Finished picking up all the roofing nails in the yard with a magnet, kept going over it until no more came up.

Fatcat and I made an exhaust system for his van out of junk we had laying around, it came out pretty good.

Josh and I tore down the 4,3 out of the S10 SS I blew up in may in Arizona. I diagnosed it as a broken timing chain, that was right. I did not diagnose the number six rod having spun, and broken in two. :shock: I guess we will have to come up with a plan B.

You gotta have a small block laying around there someplace!  :lol:

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Josh and I tore down the 4,3 out of the S10 SS I blew up in may in Arizona. I diagnosed it as a broken timing chain, that was right. I did not diagnose the number six rod having spun, and broken in two. :shock: I guess we will have to come up with a plan B.
Unfortunately that V6 is the later Vortex engine style isn't it? I know you've got that older V6 in your stock. If you decided to go that way I've still got that .030 over V6 that I offered for the Crosley project that I'm sure I could be traded out of. The way my blood sugar has been going lately I'm going to have to get my exercise bike set up again and I'll probably have to find room for it in my garage/shop for it. GPster

enjenjo

I shipped another T5 to Oz today This one is going behind a nailhead Buick

GPster

Yesterday I got the power steering lines hooked-up in the Jeepster. You'd think it should have been an easy job because it's the original engine in the frame but the pump is a newer model so I could use one with the filler mounted on the pump. I had to mount the pump higher on the motor for clearance and the new mount makes the pump sit 1/2" further out from the engine block. Plus the fact that the engine sits 7 1/4" further back in the frame makes the use of any factory hoses a laugh. I've done a satisfactory job unless I find out I need to put a cooler in. Dug out the fuel lines for in the engine compartment. I may have to go and visit a junkyard and look to remind me how it all goes. The fuel tank sits in the frame in it's original location and the fuel line come out of the front cross member as stock but with the engine further back and different engine mounts this might be more than just longer hoses. Still haven't got it cleaned up to the point where I can see to measure for the drive shaft. Working on the project again has me concentrating on how I'm going to do this part rather than looking at the whole thing and thinking that there's so much stuff I'll never get it done. GPster

Mikej

Quote from: "enjenjo"That A is looking good.

Which came first :P

kb426

I shot a few test colors on panels this evening. I have given up on the green on the 51 F1 project. I have seen too many versions and without sun and cleanliness, they look like a minivan! :)
TEAM SMART

39deluxe

Went to Auburn yesterday. The swap meet was a bust. Very little of interest to me and what there was they were really proud of, if you know what I mean.

The auction had some very interesting cars as well as the corral area. I'll post some photos in another thread. The cruise in downtown was huge. It just keeps getting bigger every year. It covered the court house square and 3-4 blocks in every direction. They had 2 bands going this year if you like that sort of thing. Lots of really nice rides of all types. Throw in dozens od Auburns, Cords and Duesenburgs and it is an amazing show.

Tom

enjenjo

We finished putting up the soffet on my shop today. I still have to install the fascia, almost ready to finish the siding.