What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rrumbler

Nice lookin' King Snake, Tony.  If you can live with them, they are good ones to keep around.  I had one that liked to coil up under the bench in my garage shop and nap; kept the mice and other snakes cleared out.  But the first time I was made aware of him/her, I was under my '57 Chevy on a creeper, torquing the bearings after an in chassis. I had asked my Bride to come out and bump the starter for me because I was lying with my feet towards the rear of the car and couldn't turn the flywheel without crawling around too much to suit me at the time.  When she walked in the front of the garage, she squealed and jumped into the car and yelled "snake".  My first question was: what kind of snake?  Of course, she didn't know, and no matter what questions I asked, she couldn't tell me if I was lying there with a rattlesnake or what, so I finally gathered myself into as much of a crouch as I could, got my feet against something under the car, and pushed off.  I went skating out from under the car and out the garage door and down the driveway.  I hit the dirt apron at the end of the drive and slid off of the creeper and got some good road rash when I roll-bounced onto the street.  That snake stayed around there until we moved, and every so often I'd hear my Bride squeal or yelp out in the yard, and I knew she had come on it somewhere.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

purplepickup

Today, I'm giving the devil his due.  Taxes. :cry:

I have to do them different ways and pick the best refund combination.  It's not too bad since all were short forms as we don't make or spend much.  There is a difference though.  This year the best combo is filing separate for Federal and joint for state...I owe $39.  If we filed joint for Federal and separate for state we'd owe $508.  If we filed joint for both we'd owe $224.  If we filed separate for both we'd owe $323.  My head hurts....I need a nap.

I'm happy that I don't get a refund and made the devil wait for his due. :twisted:
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Fixed a few sprinkler valves for yards.  We have flood irrigation tomorrow evening.. usually the grass grows quickly after you water it.

Been working on my Simca as my back allows me to crawl around and under it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Well, this week I rolled past 200K on the daily driver 99 GTP. Changed SC oil, de-badged it and rubbed up the paint here and there. Roadster Shop chassis showed up for the 41 pickup, with shipping damage of course. I'm working front fenders now and discovered some hacksaw work when I went to fit the new HL buckets and trim rings. Somebody down the line had also went around all the fenders on this thing and brazed half inch rebar in around the inside of the cracked wheel openings so I am correcting most of that stuff.
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Well, this week I rolled past 200K on the daily driver 99 GTP. Changed SC oil, de-badged it and rubbed up the paint here and there. Roadster Shop chassis showed up for the 41 pickup, with shipping damage of course. I'm working front fenders now and discovered some hacksaw work when I went to fit the new HL buckets and trim rings. Somebody down the line had also went around all the fenders on this thing and brazed half inch rebar in around the inside of the cracked wheel openings so I am correcting most of that stuff.

We need pics!  :D

idrivejunk

I take it the frame is mainly what you want to see. The crate had been turned onto it's side, broken and dragged with the tip of a spindle on the ground. Small parts box was missing too. Luckily the diff stayed in place, in it's packing. A phone call set things right. Mock-up should begin in the coming weeks. Haven't snapped a pic of the engine yet... this fender is about ready for filler work-

Matt

idrivejunk

Got that fender "muddy" today, but tomorrow I'll start insurance repairs on a 68 Mustang fastback that jettisoned a wheel / axle. Splines on the axle whipped around and made a big nasty on the door, and the tire reshaped the wheel opening a little. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen with Ford rearends? I reckon any bolt can be left loose ...

Heres the "Coyote" engine, in case you want to see that too. Crate with the trans in it is just as big. I know this isn't really "rodding", just old skin on a new aftermarket truck but I just do whatever I'm pointed at, y'know? Another more highly skilled mechanic will do the job, I am primarily a body man.

Matt

jaybee

Quote from: "idrivejunk"I know this isn't really "rodding", just old skin on a new aftermarket truck but I just do whatever I'm pointed at, y'know?

I dunno what anyone else things, but I figure this is as much "rodding" as it was when someone did exactly the same thing by dropping a Model A body on a '32 chassis in order to get the latest power and technology.

Thanks for sharing.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

I reckon it IS rodding, because its modifying a production vehicle for more speed. I made a wisecrack today and said it was "box rodding" because everything but the cab and fenders came from a box. Our guy was over there putting 14" Wilwoods on it and had it rolling this afternoon. Helped him push it back to the mech shop and y'know I bet that engine was between the rails by five. I'll shoot for getting another pic for you guys when the metal is mocked up around all that. Glad to share, its just not my truck. I would sure take one because they are beautiful, mine could be much more tame though!

The red GT500 clone is about ready for paint work, one more spot to block out and glaze. That poor car has had some nasty previous work too.
Matt

idrivejunk

Guys, I don't know all your names yet (I'm Matt) but for the ones who expressed interest ... here are follow-thru pics. Gonna fit, but thats a kit firewall and floor. And those are pry bars holding the fenders up. Think of this as the rough sketch stage. The AOD is tight on the tunnel area. I swear I won't hog this thread with these. I'd make a thread for it but this is kinda skunkworks stuff if you know what I mean. This really is the fun part, the rodding- holding up an air filter and saying "hmm- here? No maybe over here..." I heard ideas flying and tossed in my own. Way over my head really, so heres just the pics. Thanks for the looks. Study hard, I'm gonna try to refrain from more peeks until its done and thats gonna be awhile. Primed that Mustang today.

Matt

wayne petty

IDJ... can you do me a small favor.. pick up some shop towels and stuff them into the inlet duct..  so they are visible. but prevent any dust or grit from working their way into the inlet duct..

wrapping that motor would be a great use for that single sided peal off adhesive film.  so any dirt or dust does not cover the engine components.

just forward thinking..

what i did yesterday..

resolder job..

every single solder joint..

that's not the worst ones.. the double circuit board 98 GM versions are a chore. fun ones are jag turn signal relay boxes.. owners are so happy to have all the lights working on a car with lucas electrical systems..  no more burned out bulb indicator on the dash glowing at them..

Crosley.In.AZ

I dont watch much live TV..  recoord shows on DVR off DirectV.

Today eating lunch, watched a little bit of the Hoarding Buried Alive show.  It is a train wreck. Can't look away, can't stand to look at the messes
Tony

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"I dont watch much live TV..  recoord shows on DVR off DirectV.

Today eating lunch, watched a little bit of the Hoarding Buried Alive show.  It is a train wreck. Can't look away, can't stand to look at the messes

I'm the same way, i haven't watched that show for at least a year because it was frustrating to watch...today I watched it again and it's like you said,  can't look away can't stand to see the mess...

Crosley.In.AZ

Saturday installed new rubber on back of my Goldwing.  Hope to get near double the miles and it is a run flat tire
Tony

58 Yeoman

Tony, a friend from work installed a run-flat tire on the rear of his Wing.  He really likes it, but says he will have to cut it off when it needs replaciing.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil