What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Not a lot of play time today, but I did make progress on an oxy/acetylene cart. Next time I trade bottles I'll move up from the backpack-sized bottles to the next size up...3 times the gas for barely more money.

They won't fit in my current setup, though, which holds them underneath my portable welding table, an aluminum table saw top mounted to an old gas grill cart.

I have the broken bottom of of a 2 wheeler frame and a top (extension) loop that I'll combine into a cart about 30" high, just tall enough to make a handy size for the relatively small bottles. The parts are heavy duty Magliner 2 wheelers, so strength won't be an issue, and with big, pneumatic tires it'll be a snap to move around.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

river1

Quote from: "kb426"I want to see pics of the coyote in the 41.

How about a coyote in a nascar?

from a few years ago

http://jalopnik.com/5336603/nascar-driver-hits-coyote-at-190-mph/all

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

TEAM SMART

Rrumbler

Quote from: "idrivejunk"A '37 Packard coupe rolled in today also, for a (aw, maaan) SBC swap. What would be "the right" engine swap for one of those? The six did fire up.

Well, le's'see; Packard joined up with Studebaker in the fifties, and Studebaker merged in with American Motors, and AMC went to MoPar, sort of, Jeep was about the only remaining part of AMC when MoPar took it in.  So, maybe a Hemi?
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

GPster

That Packard would be a good place for a 500 inch Cad or a big "Nail Head" Buick. It needs a motor than will quietly get the job done, not something that you can hear barking and snarling while it's trying to come up with the power to pass something. GPster

WZ JUNK

I am amusing myself again.  

This is the clown on the tightrope and the mechanism I made that raises and lowers the wire so that he will move back and forth across the shop.  He does not work.  I need a more precise wheel as the current one has to much drag.   I will come up with something.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

I was wanting to put an OHC Pontiac  6 in my '41 Pontiac, but a little digging and I found that they had problems, plus were expensive.  I found a '77 Caddy w/ a rebuilt 425, so I put that in instead.  It's still not on the road, so I can't tell how it does.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Surely theres a way the clown can be fixed with more power. Rockets and 'chute? Mentos and Coke? Whiz-bang synthetic lubricants?

Yeah the main thing about the OHC6 is availability. Apparently a Chevy crank can be used, I saw a turbo build on another forum. I am a big fan of displacement myself. A B-O-P / Cad would suit me fine in there, any of em.

I'm hearing that engine choice has changed twice already but the guy doing the job says it had the same six as a Dodge from that year, so I would say Mopar might be the nicest thing to do. Of course the offroad guy wants to LS it. I know gen1 Chevys and Pontiacs so I say what I say. I did hear of a '67 RV 440 for $650 today ...

All I get to do for now is watch. And sand! Hoping to not get a third round of hail damage on my old Grand Prix tonight or tomorrow, that last round cracked filler in a couple spots.
Matt

kb426

John, does the clown have a name?
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John, does the clown have a name?

Actually, I have called him several names but he does not answer to any of them so far.  

The clown tightrope toy was made in Germany during the 50's and 60's.   Collectors give a lot for them today but this one was not worth much as he was not in the original box and he was missing the balance beam parts.  I was not told that his wheel was out of whack when I bought him through ebay.  You can do a search using "clown tightrope toy" and get a lot of information.  I am looking around for a nice wheel with some really good bearings.

I built a solar heater for the swimming pool today while I searched for inspiration to fix the clown.  I think I will call the clown "Fecal".

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Quotethe guy doing the job says it had the same six as a Dodge from that year,

I remember years ago my grandfather telling me that Packard, and Dodge used the same pistons, so that may be true.

I started the day modifying an engine stand so I could put larger casters on it. Then I spent 6 hours removing the adhesive on the Mustang roof rail stainless so it can be reinstalled with new weather striping.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

2many projects

Finishing upgrading the front suspension in my '28 hiboy sedan and getting my Eldorado ETC out of winter storage for a little comfortable sport cruising.
The local Caddilac dealer did a laundry list of $ervice items on it last week.

enjenjo

Still working on the roof rails, I have 10 hours in them now, and more to go. One is done, the other not so much.

The Stude was aligned today, came out perfect.

kb426

Frank is this a black residue that you have to scrap off?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank is this a black residue that you have to scrap off?

It's old rubber and a couple layers of adhesive. It also has a retainer groove on each side that is hard to get into. Paint stripper dissolves the rubber pretty good, but the adhesive, not so much. So I have been using adhesive remover on that. And specally made scrapers to get in the groove. Back and forth, back and forth.