What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Not today but yesterday. My brother and I were hired to remove an old winch that was once used to haul boats out of Lake Huron. It was quite a contraption and very rusty. We had to cut all the bolts holding on the concrete base and then saw it up into managable pieces. The main gear redcution and spool must have weighed 250 lbs. alone. We took it to the scrapyard and it weighed a total of 720 lbs! netted us about $58. We also took in $117 worth of copper and brass. In the picture I have included you can see three ships on the Lake, the one on the left is a regular freighter upbound into Lake Huron, the middle one is a foreign ship waiting at anchor for a pilot before proceding downbound into the St. Clair River. The ship on the right is a "footer", it's just over one thousand feet long, I believe it's the M/V Paul R Tregurtha, although it could be the Mesabi Miner, or the Barker. I could see by the painted stacks it was an Interlake boat.

papastoyss

Our local Cracker Barrel restaurant has a charging station for electric cars. Good deal, get charged up & gain 5 lbs. on their "comfort food".
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "papastoyss"Our local Cracker Barrel restaurant has a charging station for electric cars. Good deal, get charged up & gain 5 lbs. on their "comfort food".

Do you have to prepay for a charge?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Mikej

I read where one grocery store chain charge $2 an hour. It was a store charge card. If it was only a 110v station it would cost $20 to go 40 miles. I've heard other places don't charge. We will see.

Glen

Quote from: "Mikej"
She is having fun.

is there anything more important?

on another note, I know the ford products have a smart phone app to help you plan your trip, it will show you charging stations inside your area based on the current charge of the vehicle.  Im sure the GM has similar technology.

Mikej

Quote from: "Glen"
She is having fun.

is there anything more important?

on another note, I know the ford products have a smart phone app to help you plan your trip, it will show you charging stations inside your area based on the current charge of the vehicle.  Im sure the GM has similar technology.

Glen we still have dumb phones. There is a web site: my volt .com  that has those as well. It also came with 3 years of ON STAR. She was going to wash it today because it has some dirt on it.  I may wax it while it is charging. I asked the REC about the lower rate and a rebate. He laughed at me but was going to check in to it. :roll:  The full charge is suppose to be around 40 miles but so far only at 34. She did make it to work and back and still had 11 miles.

Crosley.In.AZ

Glen we still have dumb phones. There is a web site: my volt .com  that has those as well. It also came with 3 years of ON STAR. She was going to wash it today because it has some dirt on it.  I may wax it while it is charging. I asked the REC about the lower rate and a rebate. He laughed at me but was going to check in to it. :roll:  The full charge is suppose to be around 40 miles but so far only at 34. She did make it to work and back and still had 11 miles.

Good luck on the mileage on batterys only.  Will be interesting.  We have Nissan Leaf owners complaining on mileage.  The Leaf car is all electric, no other power. AZ heat is ruff on the Nissan Leaf battery power is what I have read.

The Volt is all electric drive with fossil fuel engine for lectric power as needed.......  IF I remember what I read on the Volt.  The Volt makes sense if you have a short commute or a longer one where you can plug in at work.  IF you need to travel 1000 miles , fire up the engine.

Kinda reverse/ different  of the PrIus operation, yet similar. Volt is sure better looking car than the PrIus is.  Seems like the PrIus runs on lectric up to 22 mph? Then fossil fuel engine 'seamlessly" engages ?

Are the Gubmint $$$$$ rebates on the Volt still in place?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wvcab

Quote from: "Crosley"

Good luck on the mileage on batterys only.  Will be interesting.  We have Nissan Leaf owners complaining on mileage.  The Leaf car is all electric, no other power. AZ heat is ruff on the Nissan Leaf battery power is what I have read.

The Volt is all electric drive with fossil fuel engine for lectric power as needed.......  IF I remember what I read on the Volt.  The Volt makes sense if you have a short commute or a longer one where you can plug in at work.  IF you need to travel 1000 miles , fire up the engine.

Kinda reverse/ different  of the PrIus operation, yet similar. Volt is sure better looking car than the PrIus is.  Seems like the PrIus runs on lectric up to 22 mph? Then fossil fuel engine 'seamlessly" engages ?

Are the Gubmint $$$$$ rebates on the Volt still in place?
in the prius in electric mode it is 25, but in eco mode it is 45... i drive one as a taxi, and I love it. 47 to 49 mpg everynite.

kb426

What do you do to hotrod a volt?
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"What do you do to hotrod a volt?

"HOT" Wire it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Rebuilt the suspension on my car trailer. One of the equalizers was broken, the other needed to be rebuilt, and all the springs were bad. I guess 25 years on used parts was too much.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

papastoyss

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
Quote from: "papastoyss"Our local Cracker Barrel restaurant has a charging station for electric cars. Good deal, get charged up & gain 5 lbs. on their "comfort food".

Do you have to prepay for a charge?
I don't know for sure, can't see it being a freebie. The charging station was put in w/a lot of hoopla to coincide w/ the roll out of the Nissan Leaf which is built 30 miles from here.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

I got the trailer all back together, axles installed, wiring hooked up, tires mounted, all ready to go for a while. I have to go over the brakes, and repack the wheel bearings yet, but I will do that in the spring.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40 Chev Coupe

Started new project today, resto-modding a 69 Camaro