What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"Decisions made....  scrap metal pile is what this Simca will be.

I've decided the drag race thing is over for me.

Gonna scrap this Simca car.  the 1962 Morris minor will be cut up too :evil:

I have many parts to return to friends, those  parts were loaned to me.

I have a slight possible deal on my 1962 Falcon going away in a trade deal.

I am gonna go back to daily driver street cars, whiz on the drag race deal as a participant

sell it on Craigslist..  strip off the donated and borrowed parts..

those are TOO RARE to cut up for scrap... somebody will love a partially completed project...

load it on a trailer.. so you can meet them at a remote spot..  there are a Lot of people you don't want off CL at your shop..  or knowing where you are...  even going as far as covering the license plates on your truck when you tow it out...  

create a photobucket account with all the pictures to link to the CL posting..

if that can be done..

its also.. a bring your own trailer and tie downs or pay x per mile for delivery from the location you decide to start from...  that looks small enough it might fit inside one of the 12 foot long walled open top uhaul trailers...

you are also within range of DVAP... they would also love them ..

or any of the components ...

cash in hand creates a bigger pile from a complete part than it does from a scrap dealer ...

idrivejunk

Today I'm trying to locate a nice Pontiac GTP coupe. Wednesday another careless driver smashed into me and finally killed my 99 Grand Prix GT commuter. Third total loss on it this year, no at faults. Can't figure whether its me or the car thats the jinx. Probably me, this makes eight "no fault" totals in my life. Careful out there guys, never let your guard down on the street.
Matt

chimp koose

Crosley ,slap the simca on racing junk,free ad . Did something happen to turn you off of drag racing?I tend to agree with you on the street strip type car,but every time I try to build one it ends up being a drag strip car.

tom36

Finally got the hood painted and latch system perfected for the Model A.
Tom...

sirstude

Trying to get caught up here at work from being gone for the last 2 weeks and get ready to go to Bonneville on Friday.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Carnut

I've kinda had to do a project for my 40 Ford. It's had a button tucked interior for 43 yrs now. The seats are original factory 40 Ford and I've kinda been trying to keep the 'heritage' of the car in tack. But recently the material on the front seat has started ripping out from the seams on the drivers side seat back. So, I'm a bit tight on money and can't really afford to get the seat recovered in the same style, and I've never been comfortable on the original seat anyway and every time I get in I can feel some bottom seat springs giving way and broken and I've been wondering when a broken spring will poke thru. So I've decided to go to some late model bucket seats. As would happen I found the perfect bucket seats sitting in the garage right next to the 40 in my 02 PT Cruiser. So I checked out local salvage yard and found a set of leather Cruiser seats to put in the 40, but since there weren't a whole lot of black interiors in PT Cruisers I had to get some grey leather seats and then paint them black. So that's my current project, heh, heh, ain't much but it's what I'm doing.

Here's a pic of the 43 yr old interior done by a local upholstery guy Paul Matz.

Here's the grey passenger seat as I have disassembled it preparing for paint. Using some 'Hot' solvent to clean the leather in paint prep.

Here's the seat after painting black with SEM brand Vinyl/Leather paint. The headrest is just to help me handle the seat after painting, I won't be using the headrest after installation.

here's the parts and pieces off the seat after painting. This is kinda cool paint, I noted a few runs in the paint after spraying but after 24hrs they all had flowed out and couldn't tell where they had been. Now I just hope the paint sticks for awhile, at least as long as I will be around.

Sure hope I can get these pieces back on the seat. Then I'll still have to do the drivers seat and hopefully get T-Vicky to help put them in the car.

GPster

I've been doing a little bit of "Old School" rod construction (the way I remember doing things 40 years ago). I've been working on the Jeepster making some body bracing and floor support and body to frame mounts. I saved a bunch of 1/2" x 2" rectangular tubing when I junked out some old lawn furniture. I'm not able to weld it with my "buzz box" even down at 50 amps and I didn't even take the new wire feeding welder out of the box because I don't need to add to my depression by failing at one more new task. I've been cutting the rectangular tubing and brazing it together like an "erector set" project. The plan is for the floor to be high enough to be flat like a pick-up bed floor over the rear frame "Kicks". Next I'll have to make a floor and trans tunnel in the cowl so that I'll have enough frame mounts so that the cowl can be mounted so the doors will open and close (sway-back convertible body). Read somewhere the other day that the old school look is becoming passé so true to form it should be ready about the time it's out of style. GPster

Glen

The walls were put up this morning.

12 ft. walls
48x60 windows X 6
12x10 garage door
The car port posts go up tomorrow.
8ft. tall doors X 2

phat rat

I put a few miles on the cpe today and went to the NSRA Appreciation Day at Classic Instruments. Had a nice talk with ncrodder while there. Boy those guys really do a bang up job putting this together. Lots of prizes donated for raffles. Some people are super lucky and were multiple raffle winners. Ended up the day by rolling 88,000 mi on the cpe by the time I got home..
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Glen

They got the beams up for the car port today.  all of the walls were squared up and a few trusses squared and ready to sit.

GPster

Took time yesterday putting he Jeepster up on jackstands and wood blocks. To put a floor in the cowl and around the transmission I'll have to do all the measuring while I'm down on my knees (I'm Catholic). Had to raise it up some to get the numbers on my ruler in bifocal range. It will also be necessary for me to do some finish welding (brazing) on the bracing for the back floor. Rectangular tubing has four sides. My garage has provided me with some security. We have not had a night for the last month that we haven't had company and someone staying over. My sister and niece came last Wednesday and they're scheduled to leave tomorrow but we'll but we're still grand dog sitting until Monday. I haven't gotten this much work done on the Jeepster since I wrecked my truck in 2010 and had to stop and fix it. GPster

chimp koose

Doing bondo on the cab corners of my son's truck. I am not very good at bodywork.

Arnold

Quote from: "chimp koose"Doing bondo on the cab corners of my son's truck. I am not very good at bodywork.

I make my own filler.
  I go to a plastics/fiberglass or boat repair place and buy the stuff.
  You can get way,way better resin if you buy it like this. The resin component in most auto body fillers is not the best quality.Some is just crap.
  I use non waxed fiberglass resin.(You can use waxed but you have to scuff it before you add more) Mix that up with the hardener.I buy medicine droppers to mix it from a drug store. I use about .7ml hardener per ounce.
.6 if it is warmer..in the sun..sets faster. Up about 8 when cooler.
  I use old windshield washer fluid or clean oil/anti-freeze containers.
  Then I add some short strand fiberglass strands.I mix that until the mixture is pretty thick.
  The strands make it prickly and a bit of a pita to remove..but the stuff sure is sticky and strong. I cut the "prickles" off with wire cutters.
  Final coats I mix the resin with  baby powder (as talc) for the desired
consistency.
  If you want to go further this route you can make up or buy gel coat..and the tint.I like to make the gel coat and tint it close to the original color.
Sand,prime,paint,clear coat.

You can re-use the mixing containers by flexing them after the stuff has hardened.

You might not think you are good at body work..but this stuff will stick..
and is strong..and once getting past the prickles is easy to work with..

If you need sticky and strong..this stuff is hard to beat.

Digger

Quote from: "chimp koose"Doing bondo on the cab corners of my son's truck. I a
m not very good at bodywork.

It's really pretty easy. just put on plenty of Bondo and sand off anything that doesn't look like a cab corner. :wink:
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

chimp koose

I should have stated "I am not very fast at bodywork" I do OK ,not exactly show quality or anything but I take forever. How many times do you have to fill the same spot to get it right? with almost no waviness (welded in cab corners)I seem to need to fill and sand three times to get it decent.This is a patch job on the son's 91 silverado.I am painting it right away.