What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Last time I needed a permit, it didn't meet the setback either. I called the commissioner, he called the zoning inspector, and I went over and picked up the permit.

I mowed the grass yesterday, kept my clothes on. josh bought a zero turn commercial mower, I used that. Less than an hour to mow 2 acres.I have to get one of my own.

I am working on the Marlin today, new steering column, and a Grand Cherokee steering box. Steering box bolts in outside of one hose fitting that needed an adapter

The steering column is a no shifter van column that I built. I am using a Le Carra wheel, and of course the hub would not fit this column without machining. Le Carra said they would do it no charge, but I did not want to wait, so I did it myself. They said this only affects Van and Pickup columns 67 to 72.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, what's the reason for the grand cherokee box?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, what's the reason for the grand cherokee box?

It's much faster, 12 to 1 rather than 16 to 1. The Hoses use an Oring end rather than a inverted flare, so the pressure line needs an adapter.

The other thing I ran into, the old box, also an 805, has four mounting bosses, the new box has only three, and only two of them line up with the three bosses on the box adapter. So I am making a second adapter that fits between the third boss on the box, and the adapter so I still have three mounting bolts. I'll post pictures of it.

Glen

Quote from: "enjenjo"Last time I needed a permit, it didn't meet the setback either. I called the commissioner, he called the zoning inspector, and I went over and picked up the permit.

I had my plans drawn per code....but what I did not know is I have a special utility setback on my lot.  There is a phone line running across the back of my lot underground and it showed up on the monitor when we reviewed plan together on day one.  No big deal, I just had to bump up 3 feet.  
The actual required setback minimum on my property is only 3 feet.....that's right, I could build the shop 3 feet off the property line if it were not for that phone line.  I would never put it that close to the fence, I need to start my own crosley collection now that tony is out of the business.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Glen"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Last time I needed a permit, it didn't meet the setback either. I called the commissioner, he called the zoning inspector, and I went over and picked up the permit.

The actual required setback minimum on my property is only 3 feet.....that's right, I could build the shop 3 feet off the property line if it were not for that phone line.  

In my case the setback was 40 ft from the property line. I was adding onto an existing nonconforming building that was only 20 ft from the property line. The inspector could only see one solution, tear the old building down and start over. the commissioner thought that was a bit radical. He straightened it out.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Glen"

The actual required setback minimum on my property is only 3 feet.....that's right, I could build the shop 3 feet off the property line if it were not for that phone line.  

In my case the setback was 40 ft from the property line. I was adding onto an existing nonconforming building that was only 20 ft from the property line. The inspector could only see one solution, tear the old building down and start over. the commissioner thought that was a bit radical. He straightened it out.

That sounds like a situation my brother and I ran into. A customer wanted a storage building built to replace an old 20X20 tool shed. The tool shed was closer to the road than the house because it had been part of the old farm where the newer house had been built. The codes wouldn't allow a structure to be built closer to the road than the front of the house, even though the house is more than 200 ft.  From the road. But we were allowed to repair the existing tool shed. We jacked the shed up out of a low area and put it on a foundation. Then we built a new building around the tool shed using the shed framing. It was literally new walls, new rafters, sheathing and roofing and windows, inside it looked like the old shed, outside it looked like a new building. The inspector was impressed and signed off on it.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"I had my plans drawn per code....but what I did not know is I have a special utility setback on my lot.  There is a phone line running across the back of my lot underground and it showed up on the monitor when we reviewed plan together on day one.  No big deal, I just had to bump up 3 feet.  
The actual required setback minimum on my property is only 3 feet.....that's right, I could build the shop 3 feet off the property line if it were not for that phone line.  I would never put it that close to the fence, I need to start my own crosley collection now that tony is out of the business.

We had a surprise easement - setback of 3 feet for utility lines  at a house in 1979. A pool was being installed at our house in Glendale AZ..  it was found by an inspector. Pool was already dug, rebar , gunite installed.

We ended up with no kool deck behind the diving board, the pump - cleaning system had to be moved in 3 feet. It was a goof by the city and Paddock pools.  And we suffered for it.

After all was said n done, we poured more concrete with kool deck surface where we wanted it.

City screws up, and  the citizen suffers as usual.

Glen you are too smart and organized to buy a bunch of Crosley cars.  I know better now too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

watching these videos..

1990 Mopar meet at Englishtown NJ Bill Golden & Don Garlits discuss their early days in the sport. Includes great archival footage of both drivers.

enjenjo

A while back a drunk backed into the drivers door of Shelby's Buick. Today we changed it out for another one. Then I made a set of door sill plates for an old Jeep wagon.

kb426

I gave the 32 a bath in preparation for Salina this weekend.
TEAM SMART

39deluxe

We went to Eldora yesterday for the NASCAR truck race. Talked briefly with Kenny Schrader before qualifying. He sat on the pole and won the first heat race. He led a bunch of laps and I think he finished about 5th. Not bad for an old guy.

I have to hose off my wife's Corvette for the local car show tomorrow night. Hope it doesn't rain.

Tom

phat rat

I spent a couple of days last week detailing my 02 and today bought new tires and rims for it. Looks pretty good I think
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Glen

came home to a footer today.  They return tomorrow for rebar and cleanup.  Does anyone want a separate build thread?  I plan to take lots of pics.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Glen"came home to a footer today.  They return tomorrow for rebar and cleanup.  Does anyone want a separate build thread?  I plan to take lots of pics.

That would work for me Glen.