What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

This afternoon it got up to 71 degrees here.  :D All the bikes have been exercised. This time of year creates excitement in my world. It's the downhill side of winter and I can't wait to get back to the garage and begin doing stuff I'm passionate about. I vatted the go kart frame that I'm using as a pattern for one of my projects. It appears to have been broke in half and welded by a real beginner. The paint may have been all that was holding it together. I have a summer of good times scheduled and can't wait for it to start. I hope the rest of you are sharing my enthusiasm. I know we're a few months away but I've had enough of icy windshields and cold.
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Quote from: "Boyd Who"I picked up most of a 327 for rebuilding. The block looks great and it came with 462 camel-hump heads with what appears to be the 2.02 valves. I'll have to double check that later.
I got a new set of .030 pistons as well as new rings and bearings. Still have to find a crank and get a cam & lifters, etc. Not bad though, and all for under $100! :D
I need to decode the engine numbers to determine exactly what the engine is. The code charts I've seen don't seem to line up with the numbers I found on the deck at the front of the block... K03 16KL.

I also looked at a project car that a buddy bought to flip. It may already be sold but if the guy doesn't want it I'm next in line. More to come after tomorrow.

Nice find!
 You might have to find some info..or even some old Hollanders..that diferentiate between casting and part#'s for applications.

Arnold

Quote from: "Boyd Who"I picked up most of a 327 for rebuilding. The block looks great and it came with 462 camel-hump heads with what appears to be the 2.02 valves. I'll have to double check that later.
I got a new set of .030 pistons as well as new rings and bearings. Still have to find a crank and get a cam & lifters, etc. Not bad though, and all for under $100! :D
I need to decode the engine numbers to determine exactly what the engine is. The code charts I've seen don't seem to line up with the numbers I found on the deck at the front of the block... K03 16KL.

I also looked at a project car that a buddy bought to flip. It may already be sold but if the guy doesn't want it I'm next in line. More to come after tomorrow.

Casting info:

K looks like a St. Catherines Ont. casting
 03..March
 16..March 16
 KL..1967 327/275 Impala

There will be a block stamped # too.
 Blocks get "re-stamped"
 Purrty hard to re-cast.

Arnold

I doubt 2.02 Heads..(If they are original) on that application. Who cares? They are probably 1.94's..same for all intents and purposes. If they're  original 2.02''s 8)  I would just sell them and put that money in my pocket. Lol..I would sell the 462's too! :lol:  and put that money in my pocket too! The aftermarket heads are 10 times as good. If you are staying stock and steel heads..and using this as a street engine..I would go with dirt cheap later heads..1.94's. Get the ones with good ports.The combustion chambers are larger..but you can make up the compression difference with how well the breathe..and how much more timing you can run. Just clean them up and do a good valve job/port/gasket match/cc. Those old heads really like very high octane gas! Are prone to cracking. Have no accessory holes in the ends usually..and don't drill them.My .02.
 If you want diesel like torque..and NO h/p.lol :-o  There were some small chamber 350 truck heads..with small intake valves too..in 1969...and 1970.They came back in 1974/5/6 with raised induction hardened seats.
 Need more torque and less h/p.haha  :shock:  Find some old 327 truck heads..off a med duty truck..or 350's..with 3/8 valve stems and tiny ports.

Have fun :!:

Boyd Who

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "Boyd Who"Still have to find a crank and get a cam & lifters, etc. Not bad though, and all for under $100! :D
Just remember that '65 and later 327s have the bigger journal cranks. Around here people are asking that much for just one of those heads. Good buy. What's the project? GPster

This had a small journal crank. From what I've found online the large journal engines didn't start till '68.  This one is a '67. My goal is to build a traditional styled engine for my Essex project and I've been searching for a decent 327 to build. I'm hoping for around 300 hp and this will work perfectly for my needs.

As for the project, I didn't get it. It was an incredible rust-free '53 Chevy 150 2-door sedan that had been parked in '85. I really didn't need another project anyway, but I love the body style of the 150 and it would have been an ideal candidate for building a 50's custom.

Mikej

Those look bigger than the 1.94 valves.   Watch your quench when you pick gaskets. Or have the block decked.  300 HP should be an easy build.

Boyd Who

I'll get a close-up pic of the combustion chamber next time I'm out in the shop. I'm not well-versed enough in engine stuff to ID some of this.

kb426

TEAM SMART

Boyd Who

Thanks, kb.
Casting number is 3890462, which can have either 1.94 or 2.02 valves. This appears to have the 1.94's.

chimp koose

Those are likely 1.94s ,if they were factory 2.02 there would likely be an unshrouding cut at the chambers edge. I would leave the 1.94s in unless the seats are sunk.Without unshrouding the chamber you will likely LOSE flow with a 2.02 valve.If your heads require much rework you might consider selling them to a restorer that needs them and check into aftermarket heads. Patriot used to make really good heads for the price.They have recently gone out of business. Engine quest makes some inexpensive performance heads that are probably as cheap as rebuilding the ones you have.They make heads for sbc with chambers as small as 49cc.

kb426

I put the house back together today. The ceiling is finished. I installed crown molding in that area. The carpet we picked out has been discontinued. There wasn't anything else my wife wanted so we passed on that for now. That's it for house projects for a while.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Boyd Who"Thanks, kb.
Casting number is 3890462, which can have either 1.94 or 2.02 valves. This appears to have the 1.94's.

Those are 1.94 valves intake.

You will need hardened valve seats installed... I'd suggest modern heads, sell those camel hump heads  to a restorer
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Hey Tony,

I've still got four grip covers for the Wing.  If you want them for your new bike, let me know and I'll send them your way.

I will likely take you up on that..

I just bought some Gerbing power harnesses off eBay.  I did not remove the power harnesses off the crashed bike.  I Will need some place to plug in the  heated clothing at some point when I get that next Wing
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Arnold

Drinking coffee..waiting for the road plow :roll:  (So I don't have to do it twice)..getting ready to plow my lane..we had about 3" of snow,rain last nite and now it is all frozen into 3" of crap....wating for more snow in a few hrs..then squalls tonite.Fighting with the shipper :evil:  over the delivery of another pair of skis for me to test :twisted:
 Hope they have the ski hills all groomed nice so my g/f and I can ski and snuggle up on the chairlift :D

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Hey Tony,

I've still got four grip covers for the Wing.  If you want them for your new bike, let me know and I'll send them your way.

I will likely take you up on that..

I just bought some Gerbing power harnesses off eBay.  I did not remove the power harnesses off the crashed bike.  I Will need some place to plug in the  heated clothing at some point when I get that next Wing

I sent them out today.  Try to keep your next bike upright... :wink:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil