What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

This is the engine compartment on the 57 Olds.  It looks like it came from the factory with the LT1 motor.  Note the Olds name plate on the engine.

On the other topic of shop neatness, my place is a mess.  I do clean, throw away junk,  and wash the place down regularly, but it still looks bad.  25 years of painting, cutting metal with a torch, and welding has made it the way it is and I do not think it will change.   Of all the stuff on my list to do, a clean new looking shop is at the bottom of my list.  Every piece that is hanging out of a cabinet or piled against the wall, has a story as to why it is there.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

QuoteOn the other topic of shop neatness, my place is a mess.  I do clean, throw away junk,  and wash the place down regularly, but it still looks bad.  25 years of painting, cutting metal with a torch, and welding has made it the way it is and I do not think it will change.   Of all the stuff on my list to do, a clean new looking shop is at the bottom of my list.  Every piece that is hanging out of a cabinet or piled against the wall, has a story as to why it is there

I agree 110% ...... :D

Mine is neat & "Tidy" but 20 some years of the same work have taken their toll... Maybe if i painted the interior again, I could turn off half of the lights  :shock:

Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Boyd Who

I just love mocking new parts up!

Out with the old...

In with the new...

Getting rid of the old recessed firewall and shifter console almost doubled the legroom in the truck! :D

enjenjo

Looking good Al, you'll have it back on the road in no time.

I drove to Defiance Oh, and picked up a car I have sold, he is supposed to be here tomorrow.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"This is the engine compartment on the 57 Olds.  It looks like it came from the factory with the LT1 motor.  Note the Olds name plate on the engine.

On the other topic of shop neatness, my place is a mess.  I do clean, throw away junk,  and wash the place down regularly, but it still looks bad.  25 years of painting, cutting metal with a torch, and welding has made it the way it is and I do not think it will change.   Of all the stuff on my list to do, a clean new looking shop is at the bottom of my list.  Every piece that is hanging out of a cabinet or piled against the wall, has a story as to why it is there.

John

John,

I think you are supposed to hire an 'apprentice' to do the cleaning and painting of the shop in exchange for being a gofer and learning some menial tricks of the trade.

At least that was the way I started out.

58 Yeoman

I hooked a chain to my 8x8 wooden shed, and pulled it about 100' to a new location with the Ranger 4x4.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Our nostalgia race today got rained out.

Hooley was going to run the Henry J.  I was going to make some passes with the old truck.  And we were going to help our friend Kerry with his nostalgia blown Hemi dragster.  With the roll pan on my truck, I did not have a way to attach a tow rope and tow Kerry back after a pass.  Yesterday I made this can opener type key to attach the tow rope.  I hope I get another chance to test it.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

wayne petty

had a LONG term friend break down in his 85 SAAB 900S just a few blocks away..   got the car here.. the fuel pumps were acting very strange..  got them out.. tested them.. they worked outside the tank..  i forgot to snap some pictures..  there is a primary pump that feeds a container with the high pressure pump shoved into it..  and that is supported in a rubber funnel sort of device..  the pumps still did not seem to have the proper power to them as they ran for 2 seconds but stopped..

pulled the fuel pump relay.. found the contacts worn.. burnished them.. resoldered the mini circuit board ..

no start.. found the time delay relay that runs the fuel pumps..  had to open the aluminum can..  found one terminal blade had broken loose from the circuit board.. resoldered everything..   reinstalled.. NO start..  hmm.  pulled the main power relay..   burnished the contacts.. resoldered .. still no start..   oops forgot to plug in the fuel pumps 2 relays ago.. they were needing work.. now got a stumbling start..  i looked over at the 3 wire connector to the hall effect unit in the distributer .. i had cleaned and sanded the contacts before.. i wiggled the wires..  the engine would cut out.. then catch again..  found the owner had sanded the connector opening the pins too far.. i closed them with a sharp probe to increase the grip on the slide in distributer connector.. fired the car up on the first touch of the key.. unlike this car had EVER done before..

this was my SAAB story of the day..

i won't mention needing to reshape my 17MM line wrench to get it around the neck of the high pressure bosch fuel pump to hold the check valve tight to break the banjo cap loose..  man what a pain..

UGLY OLDS

GREAT Diag work Wayne ...  That repair would have amounted to about $2500.00 ++ in " parts changing" diag at the local SAAB place ..  IF they would have found it at all....   :roll:   We get into MEGA $$$  wiring loom replacements at times due to "technicians" not having the skills / desire  to repair connections ....VERY frustrating ...... :evil:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

I spent the last two days building a utility trailer. I made every thing but the coupler and the springs. I made the axle out of tubing, and a pair of Rambler spindles. I have to weld the spring perches, and the spring saddles, and it will be done outside of paint and assembly.

kb426

I made arrangements to buy an early 60's go kart. If the deal goes through, this will be my next auto project. Those of you that are familiar with Moriarty on the HAMB   may be familiar with the go kart he restored. Mine won't be that good but it will make great garage art. Right next to the Taco 44 mini bike.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

Boyd Who

Picked up some parts from SoCal Speed Shop yesterday.

phat46

Quote from: "Boyd Who"Picked up some parts from SoCal Speed Shop yesterday.

Really like that gauge panel!

Crosley.In.AZ

Mock up inside the Simca.  Not much floor space. i may have to straddle the transmission

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

That looks like the inside of the Crosley, about the same amount of room.