What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I went 150 miles to pickup a 70's go kart. It was better than the pics but worse for me. I had intended to use the wheels and use it as a blueprint for measurements to build one with left over 4130 tubing. It's good enough that I should repair whats bad and sell it to someone for a child's kart. I want kids to share our love affair with toys. I'm going to strip it and see if there are surprises. If it's good enough to be safe, I have a friend that has grandkids. I may make a donation.  :D
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Been real busy this week. Josh bought a 94 Chevy Silverado, it needed exhaust work. The right manifold was too rusted to use, we had a replacement on hand, but the studs for the pipe connection were broken off.  Then both mamifolds were so warped we had to use a spreader to get the bolts in. We got it running yesterday, sounds good, but has a hesatation when accelerating, we have to track that down.

I picked up another customer car thursday, a 37 Packard, I have to do floor repairs on it. I went down to pick it up, when I got there I shut it off, when I went to move it no start. :shock:  So I jumped it, and left it running while I loaded the car, the whinch battery, which has an isolator, was near dead too. I got it home, and found the alternator was bad. I had to replace that before I could finish.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Did something different yesterday. Pulled the engine on a 26 foot Tiara fishing boat. 350 Chevy. Had one bad valve and the head gaskets didn't look good. We had the heads freshened up a month ago. Tornados and such have stalled this project. It belongs to the contractor that is fixing my house. He is also a very good friend.  I suggested we look at the lower end and put in a new oil pump since we were so far into it. Rods and mains looked really good. Slow trolling seems to be hard on the pumps. I had one fail on a boat I had and have heard of others. Still seems odd if it has oil it would fail. Going to finish the cooling system and charging system this morning.
The drywallers hung board and put tape on yesterday.  :D  We have hooked up with a crew that really gets after it. Siding begins tomorrow and  new roof on the pole barn Wednesday.
I have two jobs in the shop and the 39 convert rebuild that is ongoing.
Don Colliau

WZ JUNK

I bought a large wooden structure playground for my 3 year old grandson, from a family that the children had outgrown it.  Total length is 30 feet but it came apart in two 15 foot section.  I had to jack it up out of the ground a couple of feet and bust the concrete off of the legs.  Then I built skids so that I could winch it onto my trailer.  I hauled it about 12 miles on back roads to my house with my wife following me to make sure I was going to clear the electric lines.  Interesting Sunday drive.

Now I have to unloaded it, dig holes, and reassemble the whole mess.  He is a wonderful grandson.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, I couldn't tell that you liked him. :lol:
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I went to a swap meet in Monroe Mi. today, bought some little junk. Then I worked on my new trailer, it's almost ready for paint.

Boyd Who

Yesterday I peeled the back window out of the Essex cab, then I hit the doors with some 80-grit on an angle grinder and stripped all the paint off them. Found a bit of bondo underneath, but not as much I was I expecting. Once I can roll the cab outside I'll start to strip it down to bare metal.

Boyd Who

Spent some more time in the shop today...

This is a stock '27 Essex dash...

I bought a finned aluminum dash insert from So-Cal Speed Shop at the Majestics show in Regina. It will look nice, but I didn't like the way the bottom edge didn't match the original dash...

So, with a few cuts and a little patience, I reworked the bottom of the Essex dash to more closely match the shape of the insert...

I still have some work to do to finish it off, but I think it looks a lot better now.

Glen

Ready to go to the paint shop tomorrow.....wierd to think a week ago this car was running and now its completely stripped.  I made the cart so the painter can get under and paint the belly.

Crosley.In.AZ

Moved the engine in my Simca. I cut the mounts loose and  Moved engine / trans forward 3 inches, lowered by near 2 inches.

Much better location. More room inside the car for me and my feet.

Distributor will remove easily now.

Engine balancer & pulley sit right at the axle center line, so I think the engine is still set back far enough
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I bought a 6.5 hp HF engine for the go kart project. It arrived today and started on the first pull.  I let it run for an hour and let it cool. I set it in the kart frame and see that it won't clear the seat frame with the current mount. I have to decide which direction I'm going now. That maybe the reason to build a kart from scratch. Hope you all have a good weekend.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

One of those trucks that run around a road course thing.  We built a power glide with Gear Vendors over-drive for the truck.  Owner had a race shop in north Phoenix perform the install of the new trans - over drive combo .

At the First race the truck has troubles.  Owner says the power glide is slipping BAD.  He drops truck off to us.  Truck will not move in any gear

On the hoist, the tech drops the pan. I am asked to look at this power glide since it is a direct drive "no converter" setup. I look at the pan (clean), linkage looks fine, valve body bolts are tight. The tech spins the drive shaft and asks me if it should do that with the quick change style rear end  (tires have weight on them).  I look at him and say "no"

It seems the customer's Quick change differential is broken.  Transmission and Gear Vendors are both fine.    Dumb  racer.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I am in Columbus Oh today, my father is being inducted into the Ohio military hall of fame for heroism in WWII.

Mikej

teal32

Went bone yardin' this morning, looking for a pair of power seats for the '40 Chevy. Came back with a pair of '99 Eldorado 12 way power jobs for $100. Looked on line for the wiring diagram and found that the extra plug was for heat. Geez, all I wanted to do was go back and forth. After I get them recovered, I'll need to take a course on gettin the things set in the right position.
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid