The Roofus Special

Started by Flipper, March 25, 2009, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flipper

This is where I ended the day.  I plated in the opening above the boxes.  I feels really solid.

Flipper

With any luck, I will re-hang the rear quarters and decide on what the next build step.

Not sure exactly what to do next.  

I think I need to start the rearmost frame section/trunk floor.  I think I need to start the upwards taper of the boattail at the rear axle...similar to this car.

Flipper

Today was a fun day.  I finished up a little welding on the passenger side spring box and then started trying to mount the body side.

It was more difficult than last time.  There is an axle there.

I started by mocking the body up on top of the axle and blocks of wood to see where stuff lined up.

I am glad that I thought to draw a reference line last time it was mocked up.

First set of dimensions....end cut out was WAY different.

Flipper

The first cuts were barely a good starting point.  I am glad I started slow and snuck up on the shape.  The axle moves rearward as it compresses.....really moves rearward!  That parking brake cable was kind of a pain too.

Lots of jacking and drawing, then triming and re-instalation.

Final shape.  I think.

Flipper

I know the tail sticks way out there and will drag everything, but I can not make myself cut the heck out of it for clearance.  I think I am just going to beef up the tail so it can handle being dragged.  I may even add a caster back there.

Here is the current idea.  Slight sweep with a radius at the bottom.

Right now the whole back end is an almost clean sheet to work with

Playing with cop car roll bars and a harbor freight pipe bender

Flipper

I trimmed the tube.  kinda hard to do just by eyeballing it.  Still needs a little fine tuning....but I think it will work.

Close enough that I made another one for the other side.

Flipper

The new rear frame rails will be on the same level as the current 1x1.  I just haven't cut out the old stuff yet.

Flipper

I am using more cop car roll bar parts to complete the rear frame rails.  Using a couple of bends, I will be able to clear the shock mounts and tie into the 1.5 x 1.5 that runs below the upper link mounts.  The joint will be mitered.

This will also gime me a "crumple zone" for the rear frame rails.  Heaven forbid I take a hit or spin out in it, the 90 degree bends should fold.

enjenjo

Well, it looks plenty strong enough.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, it looks plenty strong enough.

It is kinda hard to quit adding material and welds.  ....more steel is better, right?

tompeters

boy, you have gotten a lot done since all the parts came off that trailer. i look forward to all your posts . kinda gets your blood flowing  watching this thing unfold. cant wait for more  :D

Flipper

Quote from: "tompeters"boy, you have gotten a lot done since all the parts came off that trailer. i look forward to all your posts . kinda gets your blood flowing  watching this thing unfold. cant wait for more  :D

It feels like it should be a lot farther along by now.  I guess a lot of time was "wasted" thinking out the rear suspension.  I could have done a parrallel 4 link  or hairpins in a day.  Heck, there has been a lot of sitting and staring at stuff (looking for inspiration) since day one of this project.

I don't think I am going to bump into one just like it at the grocery store.

tompeters

here i thought i was the only one sitting and staring :lol: my daughter and granddaughter try not to let me see them when they watch me watching my falcon, but they laugh too loud to be sneaky

Flipper

What do you guys think about adding a single-seat rumble seat in the boat-tail?  Gas tank would be mounted behind the rear end.  Feet would straddle the driveshaft (yes it will have protection).

tompeters

looks like theres plenty of room ,but it might feel kinda creepy riding over the rear end and next to the fuel. do you think it would feel like the last seat on a roller coaster? only kidding  :wink: so far im enjoying the view. rear seat would work easily .