The Roofus Special

Started by Flipper, March 25, 2009, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Quote from: "Flipper"What do you guys think about adding a single-seat rumble seat in the boat-tail?  Gas tank would be mounted behind the rear end.  Feet would straddle the driveshaft (yes it will have protection).

I vote for sticking with the early racer theme; 2 seater.
Who\'s yer Data?

Flipper

I did more work on the rear of the body.  It took a lot of fitting, but I finally got the tubes ready to weld.

And trimmed the other quarter so that it will fit over the axle.

Flipper

I also played around with the rumble seat idea some more.  There is room to do it.

Flipper

More work on the rear framework today.  I added some diagonals.  They hug the body really nice.

Flipper

Played around with sticking a 8 gallon fuel cell in the back (so I could do a 3rd seat).  It fits pretty good.  If I don't add the seat, I will still have one heck of a trunk back there.  Not 100% sure 8 gallons will be enough though.

Flipper

I also added some diagonals to the passenger compartment to help support the rear diagonals.  This thing is slowly turning into a battleship.

I also got around to trimming the passenger side door opening.

Flipper

....and played with adding a wheel under the tail.

...and trimed the tail a little more.  Not 100% there, but closer.  I'm sneaking up on it.

47convert

WOW. That is COOL! I love the look.

Flipper

I have a little bit more to do to the rear frame.  I want to add a second horizontal tube at the very end.  It will be lighter weight material than the cop car stuff.

I would have done it this weekend, but I wanted to put more thought into the vertical piece at the very rear.  It needs to have a neat way to mount the sheetmetal ...and maybe the ability to mount a "push bar" type bumper.

Anybody have suggestions for making the vertical?

enjenjo

I would fabricate a triangular tube fron 14 or 16 ga steel for that area.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

I realized I forgot a pic.  I didn't have room to get full spline engagement, it hits the table.  It is just hanging on the threads.

This with a completely unloaded suspension.  Actual ride height will be lower.  ....probably right at the scrub line.

tompeters

that picture sure adds a lot to the looks, makes it look like you are farther ahead than you think . cant wait to see some on the other end as well

Flipper

Quote from: "tompeters"that picture sure adds a lot to the looks, makes it look like you are farther ahead than you think . cant wait to see some on the other end as well

On the topic of the other end, this thing is turning out lower and sleeker than I had first imagined.  I think the front end sheetmetal needs to be swoopier than the first cars I pictured.

Would a nose kinda like this Alfa be too far of a stretch?  a clash of eras/styles?

I think I can get close with the shapes in the Cadillac hood, if I cut it down the middle and rearrange the parts like I did the roof.

jaybee

I don't think a nose like that would be at all out of line.  Those are awesome cars and I've always had a soft spot for European sports/racing cars from the early and mid 20th Century.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

tompeters

i think you may be right about rearranging that hood to get the right shape. from what i have seen so far it shouldnt be much of a stretch for you. 8)