The Roofus Special

Started by Flipper, March 25, 2009, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

I guess that makes me an Einstein.

Yeah, but you're Frank Einstein --- Albert was the genius! ...He was also shorter and better looking, without the pins through his neck!

just for grins i did a search for frank einstein and found this

Madman (aka Frank Einstein) is not your average hero

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "unklian"
I guess that makes me an Einstein.

Was there ever any doubt ?

So since I am in the midst of a major cleanup, will that make me dumber?

Is Fatcat helping you?

:D
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

QuoteIs Fatcat helping you?

No, he throws away too much.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

We definetly don't waste much time straightening up the shop.

river1

Quote from: "Flipper"We definetly don't waste much time straightening up the shop.

what kind of car belongs to the grill shell behind the special?

later jim

Flipper

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Flipper"We definetly don't waste much time straightening up the shop.

later jim

A 1938 Seagrave firetruck.  

I also have 3 others 1940, 1947, 1950.  I was on a Seagrave kick a couple of years ago.

river1

Quote from: "Flipper"
Quote from: "river1"

later jim

A 1938 Seagrave firetruck.  

I also have 3 others 1940, 1947, 1950.  I was on a Seagrave kick a couple of years ago.

COOL

PeterR

Quote from: "Flipper"It looks like it is a "parallel 4 link" with 2 extra triangulated lower bars for locating side to side.  

Also, I didn't see springs.  Did the Jag have torsion bars?

Yes it has parallel four bars made from flat bar.   Sideways location is by an A shaped link with the base of the A hinged off the body and the apex connected to a pivot at the bottom of the diff pumpkin.  This places the roll centre at an ideal height for a performance vehicle.

As enjenjo has said, the suspesion has a transverse torsion bar operating on the lower set of trailing arms.

At first sight this set up it looks like it would easy to build up from VW components.   A few years ago I looked at it more closely and found all sorts of pesky hurdles.

The VW engine and transaxle overhangs behind the rear axle and this means the load or the rear wheels is much more than you would expect for a vehicle of that size.   The torsion bars are much too heavy for the rear a small front engine vehicle with live axle.

Also, on the Jag the torsion arm plate tapers towards the rear, but on the VW is quite deep at the rear end to allow enough room for the bolt PCD where the flange of the wheel bearing assembly bolts on.   This does not really matter but it does look clumsy, and the steel is so tough it would be a real chore to trim it down.

The front suspension looked promising because the two transverse tubes could provide the pivots for the upper and lower sets of radius arms.  Also, the tubes have sleeve bearings at the ends for the arms, and these provide very accurate location.    The load on the front wheels of a VW is quite low because the engine and transaxle cantilever behind the rear axle, so it would seem the torsion bars might be about right for the rear of a lightweight front engine vehicle.    Now the hitch.   The front trailing arms are very short, and for this application would have to be made about four times the standard length.   The longer arms have the effect of making the torsion bars far too soft.

The vans have stiffer torsions to carry the higher payload, but the transverse tube assembly has a V shape so is not suitable for the application under discussion.

Fitting heavier bars to the sedan front is not real easy as the standard torsion "bars" are not solid bars, but are laminated from flat strips of spring steel to make up a square cross section that fits into a square anchor hole in the middle of the cross tube.     The tubes would need new splined anchor blocks welded in, custom bars, and specially fabricated trailing arms.  

It appeared to me to be just as easy to start from scratch.

Flipper

*, I've exceeded my monthly bandwidth allowance for my free photobucket account.

That is the first time it has happened.

I guess I have to wait 12 more days to do an update.

unklian

Quote from: "Flipper"

I guess I have to wait 12 more days to do an update.

OR get an account with another pic hosting site.

Flipper

Pictures are back.  I upgraded my photobucket account.

Flipper

I've been thinking about what I am going to do to it this weekend....

I think I made it too big. I may narrow and shorten the cowl. It looks really big in some of those pics.

I think I am also going to play with the size of the passenger compartment opening. I think the dash may need to come back...or move the seat up just a little.

Oh, and I think I am going three link on the rear suspension.

unklian

Can you drag it outside, to get a better look at it from a distance ?

Mac

Quote from: "unklian"Can you drag it outside, to get a better look at it from a distance ?

Yeah, what Unk said.
Photos can be very unreliable for proportions.
Who\'s yer Data?

unklian

It will look smaller when it's down on the ground, instead of up on a table.