The Roofus Special

Started by Flipper, March 25, 2009, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

Quote from: "Flipper"

I think I can get close with the shapes in the Cadillac hood, if I cut it down the middle and rearrange the parts like I did the roof.

Got a pic of the Caddy hood ?

Edit: Found one.

Flipper

quick and ugly cut lines

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Or trim off the Side Pod areas, and take a pie cut out of the middle,
wider at the back narrow at the front.  Depends on how much grill area
you want.

Flipper

Quote from: "unklian"Or trim off the Side Pod areas, and take a pie cut out of the middle,
wider at the back narrow at the front.  Depends on how much grill area
you want.

Are you suggesting using the top of the caddy hood as the top of the hood on my car?  ...as opposed to my idea of using the top of the caddy hood as hood sides?

Flipper

I cut the caddy hood apart and mocked-up the front end (I'll post pics tomorrow night when I get back home). It really changes the look of the car. I think it is cool.

I also realized the low seat/high & wide dash thing sucks for visibility. I have trouble seeing sh*t from the present seating position. The cowl is going to be a little lower and a little slimmer.  Seat may also go up an inch or two.

Overall, I think the car is moving from the late 20's to the late-40's - early 50's sports racer feel.

I also need to figure out how to take a little length out of the nose/cowl...right now it looks to be about a 115-120" wheelbase. The engine may get set-back a little more to tighten things up.

Flipper

Death to the Caddy hood!

Flipper

It doesn't fit as well as I hoped it would.  The shapes would do better on a single seater.  It's gonna take some pie cuts to make the nose act right and the the back line up with the shape of the main body.  I think I can make it work.

Flipper

The thought crossed my mind to build it like a 2 seater bonneville streamliner... move the nose forward so the end of the caddy hood ends at my original firewall.  It would probably be a 140" wheelbase but it should be very fast looking.

What do y'all think?

tompeters

that looks pretty good. i think your grill opening will dictate your overall look. if you have an idea about the grill then make some cardboard cutouts and tape them in place to get an idea of where you want to go . with the shapes you have now it is not bad looking at all. have you thought about any kind of headlite pod yet? been looking at my falcon and progress for me is very slow, nothing as far along as you .looking good :)

Flipper

Quote from: "tompeters"that looks pretty good. i think your grill opening will dictate your overall look. if you have an idea about the grill then make some cardboard cutouts and tape them in place to get an idea of where you want to go . with the shapes you have now it is not bad looking at all. have you thought about any kind of headlite pod yet? been looking at my falcon and progress for me is very slow, nothing as far along as you .looking good :)

I am going to let the sheetmetal find its best form and then figure out what grill works with shape.  If I was more of a metal shaper, I'd do it the other way around.  I use a lot of pictures for inspiration, but I am still limited by what shapes I can find.

As of right now, the upper part of the nose is really wrong.  It actually caves in.  It will take some creative pie cutting and welding back together.  I need to study it some more before I hack it up....more.

Headlights will be mounted in the fairing for the suspension like this Mercedes except smaller grills and a little more outboard.

tompeters

i see how the lites would work as you describe, just dont get to the point where you get writers block. things come at you in the wierdest ways when youre trying to figure something out. i have put things off sometimes because i thought they would be pretty difficult, but as you know you just have to get your feet wet. with the ideas i see so far i like what youre doing  :) looking forward ,  tom

Fat Cat

One thing you need to check with regard to your plan for the headlights is state laws about height off the ground and distance between lights.

Flipper

We scored a couple of neat parts at the swap meet at the Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion that may alter the build (not sure yet).

Dad bought a Whippet radiator and shell and I bought a Jaeger 5" speedometer and  mechanical tach.

I have searched a little and think the gauges are 1953 MG TD.  They look cool no mater what they are.

If the caddy track nose doesn't work out, I have a cool backup.

Flipper

Pics

5" Jaeger speedo and tach

Whippet radiator