Buick

Started by enjenjo, March 18, 2009, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I started working on my Buick monday, figured I would have the engine in this week. Not going to happen. spent two days getting the heater back in, and now I have to pull the inner fender out to complete it. screwed up an AC line that goes behind the fender, no way to get to it without pulling it.

So I spent the day tiday working on some of the other stuff that needs done, brake booster and lines, throttle pedal, and other stuff. I'll wait until it's on stands to pull the inner fender.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

Yeah! Keep goin. I'm interested in hearing how that pretty little 300 runs.
Are you still planning 305 TBI feed?
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

QuoteAre you still planning 305 TBI feed?

Yup. I am considering a rework of my ignition, I am not happy with what I have.

Mac

Does this mean you're not using the GM ECU or at least not for the dizzy?
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mac"Does this mean you're not using the GM ECU or at least not for the dizzy?

I am not happy with the distributor itself. there is no stock distributor that will work with the computer, and clear the intake. I have a reworked chevy distributor, but I am not happy with it. I have concerns about the oil pump drive.

Charlie Chops 1940

Some days things just don't go well, do they. What does the distributor have to do to be TBI computer compatible anyway?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Some days things just don't go well, do they. What does the distributor have to do to be TBI computer compatible anyway?

Charlie
Well, there are two things going on here with the distributor. A standard big cap HEI won't clear the intake on a 300 because the engine is so narrow. Also for the TBI I need a fixed advance because there is a computer control for that. Since Buick did not make a V8 in the computer era, and did not use a distributor at all after 1985, I have to adapt something that is compatible with the TBI, and with the Buick V8. I have a modified Chevy 305 Distributor here that may work, but I am not happy with the oil pump drive.

Crosley.In.AZ

Can the magnetic trigger parts be adapted to the Buick dizzy?  Rework the Buick dizzy by locking the advance system out?

Would a Petronic conversion function with locked advance ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"Can the magnetic trigger parts be adapted to the Buick dizzy?  Rework the Buick dizzy by locking the advance system out?

Would a Petronic conversion function with locked advance ?

I'm going to look at using an MSD trigger, and a 7 pin HEI module mounted externally, on a Delco window cap distributor body. MSD also makes an HEI type cap for that distributor body too.

wayne petty

i wonder what range rover uses for a distributer.. their 3500 and what ever the rebore larger motor is might work...

the only problem i have encountered in externally mounting gm modules is getting the pick up coil wired up right.. so the coil fires when the tip of the rotor is aligned with the cap terminals...  50/50 chance of getting it right...

what's wrong with the part that drives the oil pump shaft...   is it welded together????   worry about the temper of the shaft when it ground ground flat???  or does that motor use a hex shaft...  that would be a problem...

this kind of stuff really makes me wish i still had access to a lathe and a mill and an indexing head..

i drooled one day... in keith blacks engine shop.. they were milling cranks out of bar stock..  they had a huge lathe.. with crank grinding chucks.. with a built in milling head...  sort of like the tiny ones.. but this was fully functional. and FULL SIZED..

enjenjo

Quotewhat's wrong with the part that drives the oil pump shaft... is it welded together???? worry about the temper of the shaft when it ground ground flat??? or does that motor use a hex shaft... that would be a problem...

Well, it's like this, the new distributor shaft is smaller, about .450" vs .510 for the original. It seems to work OK on chevy motors, but I worry about things like that.

enjenjo

Well, yesterday I pulled the inner fender, still could not get the AC done. :evil:  So today I pulled the whole front end off the car! I finally got the AC done. And while the front end is off I am putting the engine in.

I had the master cylinder powder coated, black, with the cover chrome silver. Looks good, I'll let you know how it holds up. It cost $15. Plus a rebuild kit.

enjenjo

Here are some pictures of the master cylinder.

Mac

MC cover looks good. Maybe not chrome but passes for polished alum. in the pic at least.
Booster uhh....Rust Bullet?
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mac"MC cover looks good. Maybe not chrome but passes for polished alum. in the pic at least.
Booster uhh....Rust Bullet?

Nope, hammer tone silver. It looks rough in the picture, but in real life it's like a tool box finish.

I found that a Rover uses an electronic distributor that will fit my engine, but a rebuilt one is $700 :shock:  I am not prepared to spend that much. And no, it's not Lucas, it's a Bosch.