Buick

Started by enjenjo, March 18, 2009, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mac"Any progress on the dizzy quandry?
Not pushing, just anxious to see what you work out for engine management.

No, not yet. I have a couple ideas, just have not executed them yet.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Back to the Buick again. I still have not found the good manifolds, so I repaired the broken one I had, and installed it. I noticed when I hooked up the second exhaust pipe that it hit the trans cross member since I moved it. And looking at the first one it was hitting too. So I had to rework both head pipes, now they are in, and clear everything. Now with the exhaust on both sides I can reinstall the front fenders.

While the Aussie boys were here, we went to Summit racing. There I found a MSD distributor that will fit in the Buick, will trigger the computer control, and both the vacuum advance and the centrifugal advance can be locked out. Bonus is it uses a stock type distributor cap, so it has everything I need in one package. As soon as I can afford one, I'll get it ordered. Under $200.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I still have not found the good manifolds, with the exhaust on both sides I can reinstall the front fenders. I found a MSD distributor that will fit in the Buick. Bonus is it uses a stock type distributor cap, so it has everything I need in one package. As soon as I can afford one, I'll get it ordered. Under $200.
Cold weather is coming. When you start burning things to keep warm (after you put long pants on) you'll uncover those manifolds. GPster

Danimal

We'll have to get you and Court and his bank together on the '41 and you'll be closer to your Summit order. Glad to hear you are getting back to the Buick.

enjenjo

Set the front end back on today. I had to remove my new brake lines to make it fit, I didn't allow enough room.

enjenjo

Brake lines redone, and I got the inner fenders back in and secured. Why is it the shims that were in it when I took it apart, had to be changed when I put it all back together?

I also hooked up all the wiring to the front end, installed the battery box, and made up new battery cables.

I also helped my grandson do a brake job on his Ford, and Fatcat and I worked on the floor of his 48 Chevy. One more day should finish it.

purplepickup

Good to see you guys are working on your own stuff again.

I was looking at the '48 and the Buick when we were working on the Crosley.  The '48 is right there on the rotisserie and we had the woodstove cranked up.....great time to work on it.  The Buick is coming together nicely too.  8)
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Brake lines redone, and I got the inner fenders back in and secured. Why is it the shims that were in it when I took it apart, had to be changed when I put it all back together?

good to read of progress.

on the shim install ..  did you make the same face as when you removed the shims.. it is all part of the process

:lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Danimal

It looked good the other day when the boys and I were there. We've got the tubing cut and drilled for Court's frame extension but had a parts shopper stop by. We'll try to get welding in a bit but it's FREEZING out there!!

Is she moving under her own power yet?

taxpyer

39Deluxe,,,,,,,,,,, what type are those exhaust manifolds on your truck in the pic? :shock:  They look great and nice fit too. :D  8)
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

39deluxe

Quote from: "taxpyer"39Deluxe,,,,,,,,,,, what type are those exhaust manifolds on your truck in the pic? :shock:  They look great and nice fit too. :D  8)

They are 1981 Corvette stockers. I took off the heat shields. Then I removed the smog tubes and had the holes welded up. Also had to grind out a bunch of excess weld in the port areas. They are stainless but I coated them with Eastwood stainless exhaust coating anyway for a nice appearance.

This was the first year for these manifolds and they had 2 inch outlets. 1982 and up to '96 had 2.5 inch outlets. They are easy to find and usually cheap.

Tom

enjenjo

I have the alternator on and wired, AC brackets on, and the rest of the engine wiring done. Battery cables are both made and installed, and some other front end wiring work done. I also started on making a new steering column, with no shifter, and tilt. I started with a van column. Pictures tomorrow.

ACEMAN419

im glad your about done frank   shes been sittin far to long but i know we do what we can afford   im glad the end is near maybe ill stop by when i get back intown   big al

enjenjo

Ok, here are some pictures

enjenjo

More pictures.  I also installed the heater control valve today, and installed the AC condensor, and ran some of the lines.