RRT build day

Started by enjenjo, March 18, 2009, 07:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"
Can you guys use a '40 Chevy passenger car hood...

Something like this ?

...only life size.   :roll:   :wink:

39deluxe

The way that hood rolls down in front might be just the ticket.

As for the windshield/roof question. The doors are already chopped and welded so the windshield will keep it's original rake angle. Right now I'd say that the rear window will have to be laid forward to make the top reach. Or the whole top moved forward and a strip added to the rear body panel. It's all apart so anything is possible.

Tom

enjenjo

Quote from: "unklian"With a 2" chop, do you guys plan on
laying the windshield back ? Or stretching the roof ?

Stretching the roof.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Just like that....only life size.

Charlie

Quote from: "unklian"

Something like this ?

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "unklian"With a 2" chop, do you guys plan on
laying the windshield back ? Or stretching the roof ?
Stretching the roof.
Yes we previously had talked about needing some kind of hatch out through the roof for the driver. Even though the doord are hinged to open with the roll cage and engine set-back an emergency exit might be needed. We might look for a factory roof with a hatch in it. That would give us some stiffening structure and metal for the stretch. GPster

GPster

Something like this ?

That would work if we just want some stretch but I think the thought is for some slope down too. Could slant that hood down but the top of it looks like a pretty straight line so the curve down would be minimal. The thought of the roof (or hood?) off an old Buick was given to get the length and I spent the afternoon trying to think if I knew where there was one (not the best thing for me to do while driving) and came up empty. Then an idea. How about the roof off and old VW Beetle with the windshield top edge at the cowl and theback window opening being the air inlet for the engine. I know they always said that that airfoil shape would fly at 93 MPH but it would be backwards. GPster

unklian

Quote from: "GPster"
That would work if we just want some stretch but I think
the thought is for some slope down too. Could slant that
hood down but the top of it looks like a pretty straight line
so the curve down would be minimal.

Any similarly shaped hood can be bent, and manipulated to suit.
The later car hoods might be longer. A truck hood might also work.

unklian

Trying to decide if we can use the front end we have. Don't look like it at this time. I'm going to see if I can find an old Buick hood, and see if we can build around that.

Just curious, what is "wrong" with the stock front sheet metal ?

enjenjo

Trying to decide if we can use the front end we have. Don't look like it at this time. I'm going to see if I can find an old Buick hood, and see if we can build around that.

Just curious, what is "wrong" with the stock front sheet metal ?

Well, in addition to some really Horrendous "repairs" it not very aero.  I am not ruling it out, but I think we can come up with something that looks better to the airsream.

39deluxe

That Chevy hood is fairly flat on top so it could be vertically sliced in several places along the sides and curved down in the front. Considering how low the car is that nose portion could be pretty close to the ground.

I also was thinking about how thin that roof panel is. After it is modified to fit and before it is installed permanently we could lay a couple of layers of fiberglass mat on the inside of it. That would stiffen it plenty without adding much weight.

Tom

enjenjo

Quote from: "39deluxe"That Chevy hood is fairly flat on top so it could be vertically sliced in several places along the sides and curved down in the front. Considering how low the car is that nose portion could be pretty close to the ground.

I also was thinking about how thin that roof panel is. After it is modified to fit and before it is installed permanently we could lay a couple of layers of fiberglass mat on the inside of it. That would stiffen it plenty without adding much weight.

Tom

I also have some roof panels out back that we might be able to rework to fit for the crown.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I looked at all of those pictures and with all that talk about doors I expected to see something that looked like a door....LOL
Charlie
I'm a little late posting some pictures I took yesterday but they do show doors. :wink:

It was a beautiful day and after a few discussions about the build in general I think we made a good start.  Anything we do is progress and working together is a really good experience.  The longer we worked together the better we were about seeing what needed to be done and just jumped in.  It's only going to get better.  I'm looking forward to this project.

Here's a few pics I took.  Had the camera set wrong and all the pictures were blue.  I tried to adjust the colors so they aren't quite right but you'll get the jist of what's going on.
George

papastoyss

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Looks like a bunch of guys standing around watching one guy work.

Other picture shows a bunch of guys sitting around a table eating.

That is exactly what happens at my place everyday.

Looks like fun though.  I wish I could have been there.

John
Around here we call that a "city job"
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

Well, fatcat and I got the right door frame pretty much done. It's chopped to match the door, I have to make up a lower door frame, the original was rusted too bad.

I think we are going to ask that a couple people take the doors home and get them to the primer stage. I sill have some work to do on the left door, finish welding the chop, and installing the patch panel.

So now we need a date for the next build day. Some time in June????? End of May?????

unklian

So now we need a date for the next build day.
Some time in June????? End of May?????

Billetproof in June 6.
I think the Thompson Gasser event is the same weekend.

Goodguys Indy is June 12,13,14