Anyone use a power seat?

Started by chopped, February 09, 2009, 07:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopped

Got the seats a year or so for free. Not a clue what they came from. Look good in my 64 Buick but...How can I wire the driver to at least move up and back. The plug under the seat has about 10 contacts. And I'm a carpenter, not an electricion.

enjenjo

is there a switch? You have a picture of the plug?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chopped

Quote from: "enjenjo"is there a switch? You have a picture of the plug?

On the seat side is a lever and a knob, a picture would take some doing. I was wondering if I could cut the connector of and stick 12 v. to it untill it moves. My worry was that I could burn something out putting me up a creek. The plug has 6 prongs (?) on one side and 4 on the other, They line up with#1-2 and 5-6

enjenjo

yes, you could burn it up.

Typically there are three motors, but there may be more. If you can trace the wires to a motor, and there are two wires, then it's pretty sure that those two wires control that motor. One is grounded, and the other is powered to move the seat one way, and it would be reversed for the other direction. If there are three wires to each motor, it gets more complicated. The plug will help tell what make of car it's out of. Look at the harness for any makers tag or part number. Some of the newer seats have a control module that can easily be burned up if connected wrong. Also most seats have air bag sensors in them now.

chopped

WoW, If it was easy everyone would be doing it. I'll get into it tomarrow and try to get enough info to be able to help, thanks.

chopped

Has three motors and what looks like one pump, # M600165R06, only #I can see. Motors have two wires, red, red/yellow stripe. Green, green/yellow stripe. Blue, blue/yellow stripe. May be Chysler van. Working tward pics in the future. This any help?

enjenjo

Yes. You can take any pair of motor wires, and operate that motor by putting power on one wire, and grounding the other. To reverse the motor, switch the power and the ground.

The pump is likely for a power lumbar support. one wire will be power, the other ground. It may also have a couple wires to control a valve to release air from the lumbar bag.

Leon

Pump is probably for lumbar support.

chopped

Quote from: enjenjoYes. You can take any pair of motor wires, and operate that motor by putting power on one wire, and grounding the other. To reverse the motor, switch the power and the ground.

So if I put 12V to all the solid wires and ground the others the switch on the seat should  change the voltage for forward and reverse? I don't want to fool with the lumbar.

Charlie Chops 1940

I would take a more conservative approach, do a pair at a time and then tag what each pair does. The chassis probably had a pair of plugs. You might want to use a terminal strip of some sort mounted under the seatas a place for your connections.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I would take a more conservative approach, do a pair at a time and then tag what each pair does. The chassis probably had a pair of plugs. You might want to use a terminal strip of some sort mounted under the seatas a place for your connections.

Charlie

You never mentioned a switch on the seat before. So just as a guess, the motor has 10 wires coming out of the back. Correct? Or does the plug to the body harness have 10 wires? Sure would be easier with a picture.

chopped

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I would take a more conservative approach, do a pair at a time and then tag what each pair does. The chassis probably had a pair of plugs. You might want to use a terminal strip of some sort mounted under the seatas a place for your connections.

Charlie

You never mentioned a switch on the seat before. So just as a guess, the motor has 10 wires coming out of the back. Correct? Or does the plug to the body harness have 10 wires? Sure would be easier with a picture.
The plug has the 10 posts, each motor has two wires. They all originate at the plug and divide and travel from there to the motors.

enjenjo

Quote from: "chopped"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

Charlie

The plug has the 10 posts, each motor has two wires. They all originate at the plug and divide and travel from there to the motors.

Is any of this plugged into the switch? I am not trying to be picky, I need to form a picture in my mind of what we are dealing with.

chopped

The plug has the 10 posts, each motor has two wires. They all originate at the plug and divide and travel from there to the motors.[/quote]

Is any of this plugged into the switch? I am not trying to be picky, I need to form a picture in my mind of what we are dealing with.[/quote]

The harness runs from the plug to the side of the seat where the switches are located. In between the wires branch off to the three motors.
 Pick away, I'm causing the problem being pic-less.

enjenjo

I'm going out on a limb here. Are these bucket seats?