The Zoo

Started by enjenjo, August 24, 2008, 01:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57larry

I left Friday night. looks like I dodged the big one

Ohio Blue Tip

Ya the Zoo was wet, but we had some fun, eat and drank a lot, didn't win anything again!
Sad to see the tent down after the big storm, sure was nice in the bad weather.
Next year will be better.
Always good friends and good conversation.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

UGLY OLDS

Sorry we left so soon & could not hang around to help clean up...We too, were concerned about the weather ... The only issue we ran into was I94 closed in both directions west of Michigan City by a "mudslide"  :?:  :?:  
That's what the folks at Mich. City told us anyway...Had to take 421 south to I80 to go west.... :?
We too ran in heavy rain most of the way home...
I want to thank all you guys again for your hospitality & allowing the folks in my car club to "join in" ...In spite of the weather a good time was had by all..... 8)  8)

Looking forward to next year already.....  );b(

Bob................... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat rat

A good but slightly damp time was had by all. But by this a.m. only 4 of us were left. Frank, Ken, George and myself
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

flamefink

Good seeing the few of you guys that were still there when we arrived. Its always worth the battle with mother nature to catch up with you guys (and gals) and shoot the breeze... even though we didn't have very long this time.

Sorry about the tent Frank. Wish I could've been there earlier to enjoy it with all of you. If anyone can fix it, I'm sure you can.

We got back here to 70 degree, dry as a bone weather and high wind warnings with gusts of 55+ mph winds. A couple hours later the wind died down and it started raining... go figure

My name aint Tina... I faught Ike and WON! LOL....
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

Danimal

Frank, I've got some of those corner posts from a canopy I had here. What size was your tubing? Was it like 1 3/4" or so? If so, I'll bring them down. GPSter left the gastank for me at your place. I'll bring them down and fetch it.

My bride has a friend just north of Kzoo in Plainwell and they ended up with over 13" of rain from Friday to Sunday. We only got about 3-3 1/2 here on the east side of the state.

Glad you all made it home safe!

purplepickup

A sad footnote to the rainy weekend...  

I'm on vacation this week and was heading out of town when I saw a friend's Willys pickup in front of a local body shop. The wide tires hydroplaned in the heavy rain and he lost control and hit a tree head on.  He's busted up pretty bad and in surgery but is expected to pull through.  Some of you local guys that raced at Martin might know him.  Smitty was the main tech guy at the US 131 Dragway from the late '60s thru the '80s.

Here's some pics of what his truck looks like now.  You guys with wide tires be careful!

George

GPster

We got back home about 5:30 PM yesterday . It took us about 1/2 hour to decide on a $5.00 pizza supper and about 1 hour for our power to go off. The Zoo was nice but more like an aquarium. It was very nice to see everyone.Thanks for the pictures and comments so that I can remember who I saw. These were the best conditions for me to go to a swap meet. It was like a castle surrounded by a moat and there was no way that I was going to get that Model "A" frame and fixings out of there without a boat. If I did I'd probably have gotten drowned. Did make some worth-while purchases, a raincoat and rubber shoes. It was good. GPster

flamefink

Has anyone heard anything about a car off in the ditch on the ohio turnpike (rt80) in the east bound lane at the rt250 exit? I was told it looked to be a white street rod.
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

n.c.rodder

Wow - What a miserable weekend for a car show. Thats the first time I was ever at a car show that even my "undies" were soaked. :shock:  :shock:

I have to commend all the HARD CORE Rodders that stuck it out till the end. );b(

I was told that this weekend was the first one in NSRA history to rain all 3 days. :cry:  :cry:

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

moose

Well despite the RAIN I had a good time. The food and companionship was super. Wish I had more time to visit.

Frank Sorry about the tent. I did not have a chance to get that way on Sunday. If you need help fixint it or willing to accept donations to go toward a repalcement let me know.....

Tim

mopar2dr

I was there Friday but didn't get much of a chance to visit. That was on the menu for
Saturday but stayed home instead.The rain is still haunting us in the form of a swollen Kalamazoo River. The dams south of Kalamazoo are in danger of breaking so the town I work in closed the bridges over the river. I had to be creative this morning and reroute myself to work. George,sorry about your friends truck,glad he's OK,hope him speedy recovery. Yes i remember him from my racing days. Wonder if he ever suspected my spare tire was filled with water???
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

Crosley.In.AZ

That Willys p-up sure took a hard hit.  Trees do not move usually.

I hope the fellow fully recovers

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I spent the day yesterday drying things out, and cleaning them up. Tore down the grille, cleaned that in and out, dried all the chairs, and the tent and canopy. Washed all the utensils, pots and pans. Put everything back where it belongs, and stored away for the winter. Took all day.

There is one tear in the tent about 12" long. Otherwise the cover made it in good shape. A few of the poles were damaged, mostly repairable. The corner fixtures took most of the damage, just about all of them are damaged to some extent. The top shelf of the galley table was torn up, not repairable, but no big deal. The BBQ trailer has a big scratch on the top where the tent fell on it, it camouflages Slocro's mistake :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

slocrow

Quote from: "enjenjo"it camouflages Slocro's mistake :D
You are such a Frank :lol:

Ya know, I had a room and did plan to attend your H2O festival review but health problems precluded my appearance. Nothing so serious that a shot of cortisone and some Achilles tendon stretching can't cure, with time. Extended walking and getting rained on just didn't seem to be that exciting from my hobbled state.
Apparently "the gods" will do anything to keep a mild mannered, soft spoken and generally shy lad, from making a overdue appearance and take a few shots at some unique friends.  :roll:
Saturday I came down with the cold from h ell so all in all it was just a wonderful weekend.......................Even without you "junkies".
Maybe next year...................................SlocroW
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...