Tuna Boat Moving South ?? Florida

Started by msuguydon, February 14, 2008, 06:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

The Tuna boat may have a new port of call.

The economy has taken it's toll on my family, it appears that I will soon have an opportunity to start a new career in Florida, Tampa area.

I have this preconceived notion that Florida is a bizarre state to live in and that I may be making a horrible decision.

Any RRT members out there that have lived in Florida that can shed some light on my concerns/fears.

I have 3 kids, 16, 14 and 10. Schools?

I live in South West Indiana, which is more redneck and behind the times than most of Kentucky. I have come to understand, although it drives us nuts, the "things get done, when they get done" sorta attitude. We are also somewhat attuned to the summer heat thing as we get about a month and 1/2 of plus 90 humid days down here.

We lived in West Michigan, walking distance from Lake Michigan for 20 years and we enjoyed the water, sailing and beach going. Living in land locked Indiana has driven us nuts.

I am aware that housing is about 20% more than the mid-west.

I guess my comment / question is about the schools and crime, that sorta thing.

What is the deal with all the gated communities, is this just a Florida thing or is there a necessity for gated communities.

When I look at housing it is indeed smaller and more expensive than the Mid-west but with all this I hear/read about the housing market collasping in Florida, are there deals to be had?

What about the hot rod scene?
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Dave

Bryan isnt too far from there so ask him.. If i could sell all my S&*T id leave tomorrow .. Oh ya S&*T means house .. Id haul the rest down.. Of course id need a job though before i left..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

Bugpac

Quote from: "jusjunk"Bryan isnt too far from there so ask him.. If i could sell all my S&*T id leave tomorrow .. Oh ya S&*T means house .. Id haul the rest down.. Of course id need a job though before i left..

Im looking at kansas myself...Been to florida, nothing i want there...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

phat rat

Yes Tampa is Bryan's neighborhood. ts if I remember correctly, He's on the outskirts if I remember correctly. The fairgrounds there where the Nats are held each Oct is a very nice venue
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Carnut

Quote from: "Bugpac"
Quote from: "jusjunk"Bryan isnt too far from there so ask him.. If i could sell all my S&*T id leave tomorrow .. Oh ya S&*T means house .. Id haul the rest down.. Of course id need a job though before i left..

Ah, now Bug, don't let the secret out, but Kansas is a very nice place.

Bugpac

Lol, witchita is were I am looking to, lol....Got to get as close to wyanoka oky, as i can....but dont wanna be an oky... :D

Bugpac

Quote from: "Carnut"

Ah, now Bug, don't let the secret out, but Kansas is a very nice place.

How often you gotta get in the tornado shelter? :D

Rayvyn

Hey Don,
PM me with what you want to know about the area. No sense in boring the rest of these mugs with tales of 75* winter days, driving with all the windows down and the shades on lookin' cool, scads of bikini clad girls all over the place and 12 good months to drive the hot rod without road salt, tar, snow and ice kicking up from the road surface.

I live in Clearwater, which is about 20 miles west of Tampa out in Pinellas County, a little peninsula in the Gulf of Mexico.

Here's a teaser for you... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

t-vicky

Bugpac, Wichita is a nice place to live . (if you like taxes)  The weather is Kansas style, If you don't like just hang around for an hour it will change.  Tornado shelter?   no way, we sit out on the porch & watch them.

teal32

We lived in Fl for over 10 years. Let's see if this is a good comparison....

Same price house in FL & OH: Insurance in FL $3000/yr, OH $600
   Property tax in FL $3500/yr, OH $2200
   Car Ins was the same a little more in FL
   Hot Rod Ins was almost double in FL

Hey, I do miss shopping for a Christmas tree in my shorts. Yes, we do miss FL and just might move back in a couple of years.

Just my couple of cents worth.
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

Carnut

Quote from: "t-vicky"Bugpac, Wichita is a nice place to live . (if you like taxes)  The weather is Kansas style, If you don't like just hang around for an hour it will change.  Tornado shelter?   no way, we sit out on the porch & watch them.

Yes, I have also sat and watched a few tornados go by in my time here.

If don't like tornados you might not like it here, for most of us tornados just add a bit of spice to a humdrum existence.

Also Bugpac if you really want to be close to Wynoka, then check out Arkansas City, its right near the Ok. border and is a nice town. Its an hour closer to Wynoka.

phat rat

Hey Bry thr gal with the Vette your daughter?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "t-vicky".  Tornado shelter?   no way, we sit out on the porch & watch them.

Being an old Scott City boy, I can relate to that :D

Hey Leonard, depending on what type of industry you are looking for, you might look around Hutchinson, Dodge City, Kingman, too.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Bugpac

Quote from: "phat rat"Hey Bry thr gal with the Vette your daughter?

She looks my age!! :D

tomslik

Quote from: "phat rat"Hey Bry thr gal with the Vette your daughter?

She looks my age!! :D

don't get too excited, that's really rayvens brother.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list