New Projects

Started by enjenjo, December 05, 2007, 08:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Any one starting a new project? Lets hear what you are up too.

I am in the first week of putting an LT1 motor and 4L60E trans into a 57 Nomad. I had to modify the fuel rail for fittings I could get, and to run the fuel lines in the right direction, and move the AC compressor to clear the front crossmember and A frame. This engine is from a 95 Caddy with all the accessories on the right, using a serpentine belt. NAPA has a replacement idler pulley to replace the AC compressor to used the standard belt. I am moving the Compressor to the left side, and running a Sanden compressor off a V belt from a pulley I adapted to the Vibration damper. I considered using a Corvette pulley setup, but it was nearly $1500 for all the parts new, And I couldn't find a used one. None of the street rod setups would fit because of the gear driven water pump.

I am using a Howell wiring harness, nice looking harness, but If I hadn't done a EFI install before, the instructions would be useless. I did have the harness in less than 24 hours from ordering.

I am using an Airtex external pump, still had to modify the fuel sender for a second line for fuel return.

I'll post more as it progresses.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Sounds like a neat car.  Was it already adapted to side motor mounts & rear trans mount, or are you doing that with the engine swap?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

The mounts had already been changed.

donsrods

I'm in a resting mode, catching up financially and physically from the two T's we just got running.  My next project is to finish up my '39 Dodge truck. Most of the hard stuff is done, like the top chop, built Olds engine, front and rear suspension, subframe, bed, etc.  Now I just have to concentrate on wrapping up the door chop, building a bed floor, interior floor, and stuff like that.

I would like to start back on it around January 1st, unless I get a burst of energy in the meantime.

Don

dragrcr50

well Im building me a new gasser . a buddy is gonna drive it with us this next summer with the central state gassers assoc.  it is a 53 willys aero lark sedan, 2x3 chassis with nhra legal cage, 53 chevy pu front axle set up with must II  disc brakes 9 inch ford rear with coil overs, ladder bars and diagonal link.  477 big chevy mild set up 400 turbo and converter,  fenderwell headers, slots in rear 10 inch and skinny cragers up front  will be light grey and named the alley cat... enjoy .......
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"Any one starting a new project? Lets jear what you are up too.

I am in the first week of putting an LT1 motor and 4L60E trans into a 57 Nomad..........

How are you controlling the trans?? With the stock computer and the Howell harness??

A friend, down in Phx., and I bought two vans last week.  He got the '99 3/4 ton with a vortec 350 and 4L80E and I got a '98 1/2 ton with a vortec 350 and a 4L60E.  I got his motor/trans out the other day along with all the wiring harnesses ahead of the firewall and the computer and fuse box.  The front of the frame is going to Hooley to use with his CEO and the rest of the frame and the rear axle I hope to use behind my '38 ford cab.

The '98 I'll strip next and hope to use the 350/4L60E in the '51 Desoto Limo.  I would like to use the stock computer and wiring harness if possible and that is why I asked what you are doing.  Be sure and keep posting Frank.

I had one experience with Howell years ago and it wasn't good.

The Desoto and Ford are down the road.  Right now I have a block at the machinist that will be a new motor for 1FATGMC.  Tony just finished a 4L80E and I'm going to put one of the Ford 9 inchers I have in the truck with the new motor.  Hope to run in the 135 mph street class at Maxton in April with it.  Of course I'm also working on the lakester everyday.

Sam I'll be by in the spring to see the gasser.  Looks great.  Hope you can hold onto it that long.

c ya,

Sum

enjenjo

Quotewhere is 'the' place to buy parts for the 8 inch Ford posi carrier???

I get them here  http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/ They have a lot of stuff that is not listed in the catalog.

enjenjo

QuoteHow are you controlling the trans?? With the stock computer and the Howell harness??

Yes. What kind of problem did you have? I decided on them because they are close to home. the harness came with a very good troubleshooting manual, but fuzzy installation instructions.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteHow are you controlling the trans?? With the stock computer and the Howell harness??

Yes. What kind of problem did you have? I decided on them because they are close to home. the harness came with a very good troubleshooting manual, but fuzzy installation instructions.

Thanks.

I got a narrow band air/fuel indicator from them and it wasn't cheap, about $140 if I remember.  It quit working after about 6 months.  I contacted them to see if it could be repaired.  They told me that they no longer supported it.  I felt that they had bought them from someone and had put their name on them and asked them who made them for them.  They wouldn't tell me.  Later I found the real manufacture but it was so expensive to fix it I bought a different brand that is still working.  They were short with me and didn't even begin to want to help in any way.  I won't do business with them again.  Not to say that you shouldn't if they have what will work for you.  I've also heard others that haven't been happy.

c ya,

Sum

papastoyss

I will be watching to see how this turns out. I have a 40 ford coupe project that came w/ a MAF LT1 & a4l60e trans.I am going to start on it as soon as my new shop is finished. I've never used a computer controlled trans before, only a TV cable 700r behind a 93 LT1 that wasn't MAF.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

EMSjunkie

Gathering parts for the C-cab.
been doing a little body work, when I can

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "papastoyss"I will be watching to see how this turns out. I have a 40 ford coupe project that came w/ a MAF LT1 & a4l60e trans.I am going to start on it as soon as my new shop is finished. I've never used a computer controlled trans before, only a TV cable 700r behind a 93 LT1 that wasn't MAF.

It's no big deal to eliminate the MAF ssensor, and go with MAP, in fact all LT1 engines already have a MAP sensor.

UGLY OLDS

I'm watching my lovely wife shovel snow..Gettin' ready to go visit the munchkins & mini-munchkins for Christmas........ :D  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

I'm watching my lovely wife shovel snow..Gettin' ready to go visit the munchkins & mini-munchkins for Christmas........ :D  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

moose

Frank asked about projects. Not exactly new but back on the front burner and work is now progressing. I have the rails set up in the chassis jig. Now I can box them and put in the cross members. It is slated to go under a Model A coupe. Using Dearborn rails.

Thanks for the Help Charlie!!!

Tim