New Projects

Started by enjenjo, December 05, 2007, 08:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Just started working on a 27 roadster (front half of a touring) will be using a 454/400 w/9"   :shock: Frame to be determined. For some reason I doubt it'll be underpowered. :lol:  :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

zzebby

I've got the LT1  and 4L60E in a 34 coupe.  Runs and I've driven it around the block but not street legal yet.  I cut up the factory harness and made it work,  but then lost patience with all the little extras......brake light sensor, elect fans etc  and bought a Painless.  Its is not fully hooked up yet,  but the engine runs.  Got sidetracked on a pickup project and the 34 sits under cover.  Am not happy with the location of the relay bank of the painless and so will be reworking it.  
Enjenjo if you need some harness parts let me know.  It is a mess in a big box .....but maybe able to help.

enjenjo

I am not totally happy with the location of the relays on the Howell harness either. I want the computer under the hood, and they really don't give you enough wire to put the relays inside, with the computer outside. I may try to figure out some type of box to shield the relays. Any suggestions?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Hooley's Henry J had big flat areas where the headlights are supposed to be.  I made a plug, then a mold of a headlight and a frenched headlight ring, and then I glassed the parts I made to the front end.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

papastoyss

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "papastoyss"I will be watching to see how this turns out. I have a 40 ford coupe project that came w/ a MAF LT1 & a4l60e trans.I am going to start on it as soon as my new shop is finished. I've never used a computer controlled trans before, only a TV cable 700r behind a 93 LT1 that wasn't MAF.

It's no big deal to eliminate the MAF ssensor, and go with MAP, in fact all LT1 engines already have a MAP sensor.
I just assumed that a aftermarket harness that used stock computer to also control 4l60 trans would be for the MAF sensor. The afore mentioned 93 engine I bought harness & computer from Street & Performance ,plugged it up& ran great. Does the Howell harness have a VATS bypass?
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

QuoteI just assumed that a aftermarket harness that used stock computer to also control 4l60 trans would be for the MAF sensor. The afore mentioned 93 engine I bought harness & computer from Street & Performance ,plugged it up& ran great. Does the Howell harness have a VATS bypass?

You can get the aftermarket harnesses both ways, with, or without the MAF. Without the MAF gives you more flexibility with the air cleaner system.

All but the earliest LT1 Computers are flash programed, and you can have it reflashed to remove the MAF, EGR, Air pump, VATS, speed limiter, and  emission controls. They also adjust tire size, and final drive ratio if requested. This is necessary to control the 4L60E

Most of the aftermarket suppliers recommend keeping the MAF if you are modifying the engine drastically.

dragrcr50

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Hooley's Henry J had big flat areas where the headlights are supposed to be.  I made a plug, then a mold of a headlight and a frenched headlight ring, and then I glassed the parts I made to the front end.

John

looking good John, now lets see some paint,  ready to gasser up with him ............
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Bib_Overalls

As some of you know, I am building an Olds 215 powered 26 Model T Ford sedan.  

The frame and chassis are at the 90% mark.  Everything figured out and most of the fabrication is complete.

Right now I am getting the body together.  It is remarkably solid.  But it still needed some metal work.  We have done some patching here and there and the passenger door needs some hinge work.  We will also mold the firewall to the cowl.

The plan is to get the car on the road, in primer, this spring and do final body work and paint during the 08/09 Winter building season.

As noted in the picture captions, RRT Knights enjenjo and C9 have helped out along the way.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

zzebby

I am the opposite.   I have the computor under the pass seat and the relays ..........don't know yet,  but they will be out near the front of the engine.  Maybe on the alt mount or the side of the rad.  Relays are for a/c comp,  two elect fans and the horn.  These are all at the engine front.  The fuel pump relay is under the seat.  The 34 coupe is tight for space and I've had to lengthen / shorten a lot of wires.  You may have more room,  but the GM  ECM (computor)  is normally under the hood so should be able to take the environment,  just keep the vent down.  On the 34 I used the GM pump in the tank as I bought a new tank,  but on a Ford 5.0 project I used the inline with a course filter before it and a fine filter after it. Works well and was only $150.      Rant,   just had to pay $900  for a GM in tank pump for daughters S10  rant rant.
On the LT1 if you get in trouble I bought the Helms manual and could send it to you if your stuck.  Would need it back later.
On the relay thing, I bought Cooper Bussman 15301-2  which is small and yet has 5 relays and 10 fuses.  The inputs are bussed so it saves wiring and space. Google it,  you might like it too.  I was force to buy 3 of them (min billing) so can help there too.
This fuel injection wiring is exasperating, I 'm really struggling with the Ford 5.0 and AODE,  need a wiring diagram for the AODE and can't find one on line.  Have two wires that I can't identify.

dragrcr50

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Hooley's Henry J had big flat areas where the headlights are supposed to be.  I made a plug, then a mold of a headlight and a frenched headlight ring, and then I glassed the parts I made to the front end.

John

John...............................  I need a couple of those light deals for the willys?  ole buddy, pal........sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "dragrcr50"

John

John...............................  I need a couple of those light deals for the willys?  ole buddy, pal........sam

I will make you a couple next week.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "dragrcr50"

John

I will make you a couple next week.

John

John good thing he didn't ask how much  :D .  Don't forget all the development time you had in those.

Ah.......the start of a new business,

Sum

enjenjo

Here's what I am doing to the Nomad this week.

Charlie Chops 1940

Wow, lots of neat projects in the making. Particularly like the 2 new gassers. I haven't started anything new in awhile. However I did clean out an 18X18 storage room in my building, insulated and drywalled it, put in lots of sturdy floor to ceiling storage and left room to work on one small car. The chassis room I guess.

I had not touched the track roadster in a little over a year - after redoing the engine due to the cam bearing fiasco. But I got an invite yesterday to show it at the Grand Rapids Autorama next month. So, it's in the new room now where it will get cleaned up, finish assembled, windshield glass installed and some little projects. Needs to be pre-lubed, the dizzy dropped in, carbs put in sync and fired up. I've got about 4-1/2 weeks.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Bugpac

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Wow, lots of neat projects in the making. Particularly like the 2 new gassers. I haven't started anything new in awhile. However I did clean out an 18X18 storage room in my building, insulated and drywalled it, put in lots of sturdy floor to ceiling storage and left room to work on one small car. The chassis room I guess.

I had not touched the track roadster in a little over a year - after redoing the engine due to the cam bearing fiasco. But I got an invite yesterday to show it at the Grand Rapids Autorama next month. So, it's in the new room now where it will get cleaned up, finish assembled, windshield glass installed and some little projects. Needs to be pre-lubed, the dizzy dropped in, carbs put in sync and fired up. I've got about 4-1/2 weeks.

Charlie

Ill be there to see it.... :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****