Will woman find me more attractive if I have a Tri-Power?

Started by msuguydon, November 27, 2007, 09:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Hey Guys:

It's been a while since I have stirred the pot  :P

If you have a few minutes, I would like to ask you guys some silly questions regarding intakes and carburetors.

I am told you guys are the experts :roll:

As most of you know I have a shiny 58 Chevy. I get ribbed/teased because it's a four door, shiny paint etc.. which I am really okay with BUT !! I have this desire to add a little (WOW, COOL) factor under the hood and I am thinking going to a three deuce set-up, or some kind of traditional fuel injection system, blower or something along those lines.

The car has a pretty tame SBC 350 in it, so I am told. I did not put the motor in the car, it was in when I bought it, so I don't know a ton about it, I am told that it was bored .003 over and it does have a bit of a cam in it, I have no info on pistons, values etc..

Right now it has an Edelbrock intake and a 600 CFM Edelbrock 1406 series 4bbl Carb.

A couple of additional items. The car is a Krusier, not looking to go street racing and I am not chasing some need for MORE horsepower.

As you guys also know I am new to the whole "Hot Rod" thing, so whatever goes on/in the motor needs to be pretty simple and bullet proof, so I do not need to be adjusting or screwing with it. I want to get in, turn the key and go.

I also do not want to tear the motor down and add beefed up internal parts to handle the additional horsepower that these new intakes may or may not add.

SOOOOOO

First question, am I silly to even go down this path. Sort of the "don't fix what ain't broke"?

Next question, I REALLY, REALLY like the old drag car mechanical Fuel Injection systems with the velocity pipes sticking up... is there a street version of something like this? and I have no clue what changing from a carb to fuel injection entails.

I also love that open mouth skull look on the Stromberg set-ups, but that's a Ford thing, right??

What about a cross ram two 2bbl set-up?

How many millions of dollars should i budget for something like this ?? From the little homework I have done.. $800 - $1,000

Are there any pitfalls or benefits from running a multiple Carb set-up.

Will woman find me more attractive if I have a Tri-Power set-up?  :shock:  

Should I skip the whole Carb thing and just have Team Smart suicide the back doors?

Thoughts?    Advice?   De-Caf?
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

enjenjo

Running multiple carbs is not a big deal, I have two fours on my car. I think you price is a bit low, a good setup, tuned is going to be in the $1500 range. I would suggest the Rochester 2G carb, they are easy to find, and a better carb than a Stromburg. The parts are easy to find, and cheaper too.

The carbs have to be set up by someone who knows what they are doing, there are changes that have to be made for a proper set of trips. After it's installed, an expert tuner is needed to get all the adjustments right. After that, it is not a problem, just drive it.

I would want a progressive linkage. you might even see an improvement in gas mileage if you can keep your foot out of it.

Fuel injection is more expensive. The old stack style injection is not very streetable, unless it's converted to electronic, and that can get very expensive to do right. the Corvette style mechanical injection works good on the street, but the price is out of sight any more.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "msuguydon"Hey Guys:

It's been a while since I have stirred the pot  :P

Will woman find me more attractive if I have a Tri-Power set-up?  :shock:  

No but i would  :wink:

Should I skip the whole Carb thing and just have Team Smart suicide the back doors?

We can do that just get lots of beer :lol:

Why not save your money for the boobie bar and juts keep the hood closed  :?:  :?:
Dave

Mikej

If you stay above 2000 rpm you won't need progressive linkage :lol:  To judge what affect it will have on women, we need to know what effect you have on them now................ I'm sure it won't hurt. Execpt for your wife. She will be saying "are sure that was only $800". I had two four on a 327 as a kid. Great fun. Good memories. 4 miles to the gallon.( 2000 rpm thing)

msuguydon

A friend suggested I go this route..  

A new "Vintage Speed" 2x2 manifold, mounting two Holley 94, Model 21-29, 2 barrel carbs.  

I would not have to change the intake and I can get the bling factor I desire and it would be appropriate for a 50's automobile..

What Say U?

phat rat

IMHO that set-up would be a waste of money, but it is your car
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

msuguydon

Quote from: "phat rat"IMHO that set-up would be a waste of money, but it is your car

Please add some detail, educate me.

I am curious why you think this would be a waste of money.

kb426

What kind of woman wouldn't be excited at the sound of: four on the floor, two fours, duals, tach it up, 3 deuces, posi-trac, dual points, fenderwell headers, 3/4 cam, alum. flywheel, etc. :lol:
TEAM SMART

msuguydon

Quote from: "kb426"What kind of woman wouldn't be excited at the sound of: four on the floor, two fours, duals, tach it up, 3 deuces, posi-trac, dual points, fenderwell headers, 3/4 cam, alum. flywheel, etc. :lol:

errrrrr, my wife  :lol:

Dave

Quote from: "msuguydon"
Quote from: "kb426"What kind of woman wouldn't be excited at the sound of: four on the floor, two fours, duals, tach it up, 3 deuces, posi-trac, dual points, fenderwell headers, 3/4 cam, alum. flywheel, etc. :lol:

errrrrr, my wife  :lol:

Ha ha i wouldnt trade sue for anything but unless i told her and showed her what i did to the car she could care less.. Most likely sh would still care less but at least she would have some idea whats what.. :lol:  :lol:
Don.. If i was gonna spend the bucks id go with a nice new 3x2 manifold and some rebuilt carbs.. Im sure that system you have e pic of will work but its not near as pretty as a real 3x2 setup..
Dave

purplepickup

Quote from: "msuguydon"......I REALLY, REALLY like the old drag car mechanical Fuel Injection systems with the velocity pipes sticking up... is there a street version of something like this?

Well, you can always fake it with one of these.  http://www.alsblowers.com/streetinduction.html  

Most girls don't know when we're fakin' it anyway. :wink:
George

msuguydon

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "msuguydon"......I REALLY, REALLY like the old drag car mechanical Fuel Injection systems with the velocity pipes sticking up... is there a street version of something like this?

Well, you can always fake it with one of these.  http://www.alsblowers.com/streetinduction.html  

You understand me!..... That is exactly what I am after, too bad it is  $1,000 and would not fit on the Tuna boat unless I cut a hole in the hood.... * that seems expensive for a FAKE... or should I use the hot rod term... Clone  :lol:

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"

You understand me!..... That is exactly what I am after, too bad it is  $1,000 and would not fit on the Tuna boat unless I cut a hole in the hood.... * that seems expensive for a FAKE... or should I use the hot rod term... Clone  :lol:

You call yourself a hotrodder and your afraid to cut a hole in your hood? Keep your eye out for a hood you may want a spare someday.. When the wife askes why the spare tell her your gonna tow the kids behind the car this winter then tell her you need more carburation.. I wouldnt use more carbs cause she will be at the store buying you stuff to eat that tastes bad. (thats how you know its good for you) .. Your on the right track anyway ..
Dave :arrow:

phat rat

Quote from: "phat rat"IMHO that set-up would be a waste of money, but it is your car

Please add some detail, educate me.

I am curious why you think this would be a waste of money.

It wouldn't be any better than a good 4 barrel. IMHO a get-up like that belongs on a * Wagon driven by someone who doesn't know any better. If you want trips spend the money on the real thing not some flunky looking set-up.

kb426, how would you build a set-up that was dual quads and trips both? LOL
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

donsrods

My current T is the first hotrod I've owned that didn't have some sort of multiple carb setup, and the only reason it doesn't is because Edelbrock still has not released it's tripower manifold for a Vortec Chevy.  When it comes out I am going to mount 3 Rochester 2G carbs on it for sure.

Will your car perform any better?  Probably marginally if at all. A well setup 4 barrel is a really good carb match for a 350 Chevy.  I got 20 mpg going to and coming from Daytona, and the power is smooth as it could be.  BUT, there is that certain WOW factor to multiple carbs that just screams hotrod.

As for price.  I was offered the Vintage Speed adapter with two rebuilt carbs for $ 500 at Daytona and passed because I am holding out for a true intake. A typical tripower setup from someone like Hot Rod Carburation goes for $1200 to $1500, but they are rebuilt and test run.  I have a stash of 2 g carbs and will rebuild them and run them on my T and also my Olds powered '39 when the time comes.  

As for the women liking you better, it only works if your firewall has $ 100 bills taped all over it.   :lol:  :lol:

Don