Will woman find me more attractive if I have a Tri-Power?

Started by msuguydon, November 27, 2007, 09:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I ran 3 two's on the coupe, nice.  When I had the stock 350, I had aluminum plates under the 2 end carbs.  When I put the stroker in there, it sure was fun, just tended to run a BIT lean cruising.  3:55 gears with a trubo 350 spins the motor a bunch.  at 70mph I was spinning 3k and still just running on one carb.  Sure was neat when you were on it and the end carbs opend up.  We have no more 2G carbs any where around here.  The Hot Rod Carb guy lives 90 miles north of here and has picked the bone yards clean.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Carnut

I wouldn't go near that 2x2 setup, that's was just a cheap work around in 'the day' mostly a flathead thing, now being marketed to the less astute folks as something traditional.

I'd recommend a 2x4 setup as they are easy to install and setup, eash to find used even some factory setups for small blocks. I've had a number of them thru the years.

The tri-power was factory on several cars thru the years, mostly on the wblock chevys. If you have the bucks the Hod Rod Carb complete setup would be the best deal to go with.

Now 3 small shiney air cleaners look cool, but if you don't have enough filter area, you might be getting grit into the cylinders and some premature engine wear so be careful about using 'real' air filters if you cruise much.

My choice would be the 2x4 deal.

msuguydon

Okay here is a question... are the 2 bbl carburetors used on tri-powers not manufactured anymore? or just select vintage carbs hard to get?
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Dave

Quote from: "msuguydon"Okay here is a question... are the 2 bbl carburetors used on tri-powers not manufactured anymore? or just select vintage carbs hard to get?
Nope they arent made anymore.. Every system you will find is a rebuilt carb system.. Bary grant makes the 6 shooter though .. For a price..
Dam your sexy
Dave  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bugpac

IMO, the 4 door car you have looks great, and is best suited with what it came with, Keep her all stock....Put the money you save towards a ticket getter someday later...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Bugpac

msuguydon

Quote from: "Bugpac"IMO, the 4 door car you have looks great, and is best suited with what it came with, Keep her all stock....Put the money you save towards a ticket getter someday later...

Not after tickets, I am after woman  :lol:

msuguydon

Bugpac

But its a mopar, lol, I know....If you want girls you need a porshe corvette or mustang, If you want woman you need A street rod....If you want wild and crazy you need a harley... 8)

Dave

Quote from: "Bugpac"But its a mopar, lol, I know....If you want girls you need a porshe corvette or mustang, If you want woman you need A street rod....If you want wild and crazy you need a harley... 8)

I got the Harley  );b(  :ha)  );b(  :ha)  :b-d:  :b-d:

enjenjo

The stromburg carb, was designed in the mid 30s, and reflects it, the castings are not that great, and it's not very tuneable. the 2G Rochester  was designed in the mid 50s, and is a much better design. it was used until 75 in GM cars.

There are two different versions, small base, and large base. most small block intakes are set up for small base carbs. They came stock on 265, 283, and 307 engines. They were also the end carbs on Olds, Pontiac, Chevy, and Caddy factory tripower setups.

True tripower carbs had no idle circuits in the end carbs, and much thicker throttle plates. the throttle shafts were also different.

If you want to do it yourself, you can buy a kit with bases, and throttle shafts for converting regular carbs, to end carbs. the kit is about $250. Rebuildable core are from $25 to $100 depending on where you find them. there has not been a rebuilable core in junk yards in these parts for many years. Rebuild kits are available at NAPA, plus they have floats and most other parts.

If Hot Rod Carburetion has a tuned setup for $1500, it would be a decent price.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

msuguydon

Quote from: "Bugpac"But its a mopar, lol, I know....If you want girls you need a porshe corvette or mustang, If you want woman you need A street rod....If you want wild and crazy you need a harley... 8)

I have non of the above.. so where does that leave me... grandmas, sheep, men  :wink:

Carnut

Quote from: "msuguydon"

I have non of the above.. so where does that leave me... grandmas, sheep, men  :wink:

Well, I've found a lot of ladies like Cowboy Hats and Boots.

By the time they get to the parking lot they don't much care what I'm driving.

msuguydon

Quote from: "enjenjo"
True tripower carbs had no idle circuits in the end carbs, and much thicker throttle plates. the throttle shafts were also different.

Frank you have to remember who you are talking too... me.... :(  

errr... no idle circuits... I think what you are trying to tell me is that the center carb is the primary and the two outboard carbs are secondaries.  Thus only the center is set-up to idle. I assume that there are differences between the two carbs allowing it to idle :?:

As for the do it yourself kit... that won't be happening... this will be a vintage speed or Hot Rod Carb sort of thing

msuguydon

Carnut suggested a 2x4 set-up... I am assuming we are not discussing lumber  8)

When this came up with my buddy he made some remark about "too much throttle range for my car".. whatever the hell that means... I took from his tone..that I should not consider.

Would someone be willing to translate?