Gasoline break point

Started by enjenjo, October 25, 2007, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

I'm just thinking it's strange, that the price of crude is much higher than it was a year ago, but the price at the pump is not as high. :roll:

Yes , it is interesting on how the pump price can jump over night IF crude goes up. Yet these higher  crude prices are on future crude purchases.

YET , if crude price drops sharply (LOL) , the gas price comes down slowly BEcause they tell us the crude price IS for future purchases.

"IF" ....  (a big IF) we Americans would  cut back & save fuel I wonder what the pump prices would do?  I am not talking major cut backs on driving , just travel smart as we have discussed here... combine trips , tune up the car, air up the tires, sloooow down a bit.

nothing different.
they'll just say it's because we're not buying enough of it.....

and stop sniffing brittany!

How many under inflated tires do you guys see daily on the roads??  I see a dozen a day at least if I am looking for them

8)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

purplepickup

I'm just thinking it's strange, that the price of crude is much higher than it was a year ago, but the price at the pump is not as high. :roll:
Ahh....time for my conspiracy theory :twisted:   If the oil companies can keep the price of gasoline down before all of the new ethanol plants can recover their investment costs, they can eliminate that form of competition when the plants go out of business...or at least buy them out at a reduced price.  

If not that, they have something up their sleeves.  A year ago any little rumor would raise the price of gas a quarter.

Trusting sucker aren't I? :roll:
George

tomslik

Quote from: "tomslik"

Yes , it is interesting on how the pump price can jump over night IF crude goes up. Yet these higher  crude prices are on future crude purchases.

YET , if crude price drops sharply (LOL) , the gas price comes down slowly BEcause they tell us the crude price IS for future purchases.

"IF" ....  (a big IF) we Americans would  cut back & save fuel I wonder what the pump prices would do?  I am not talking major cut backs on driving , just travel smart as we have discussed here... combine trips , tune up the car, air up the tires, sloooow down a bit.

How many under inflated tires do you guys see daily on the roads??  I see a dozen a day at least if I am looking for them

8)

nothing different.
they'll just say it's because we're not buying enough of it.....

and stop sniffing brittany!

otay tomslik.  you are on to my pipe dream of gasoline prices.

I was also wondering if some person had noticed my statement about a fallen link sync singer.  it is tragic.

yep, seen that a while back, just waiting for the right moment :wink:

sadly she seems to wear panties more often now.

ok by me, the airs' GOTTA smell better....
 :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

38HAULR

Another aspect on this,and I do not know if the issue is raised in the U.S. The matter of oil companies colluding on pricing,we have price cycles in Australia,they all bump the prices up and down at the same time,the companies deny it.  I have a theory that if motorists got smart and did their own "colluding", we would get a better deal. It goes like this,motorists gang up and deliberately boycott one brand ,it,s sales drop,head office drops the price to woo customers back,we buy,the others see loss of custom and follow suit. Oil companies monitor sales hourly......Frank.

Leon

People don't care enough about the price to do that.  Here we have two stations next to each other, one 15 cents higher than the other, and they both have the same number of cars filling up.  If they cared about price the higher priced station wouldn't see any business.  I never could figure out why so many people go to that station.

wayne petty

...time for my conspiracy theory :twisted:   If the oil companies can keep the price of gasoline down before all of the new ethanol plants can recover their investment costs, they can eliminate that form of competition when the plants go out of business..

.or at least buy them out at a reduced price.  

that is how they do it... again and again...

Inprimer

Quote from: "wayne petty"

...time for my conspiracy theory :twisted:   If the oil companies can keep the price of gasoline down before all of the new ethanol plants can recover their investment costs, they can eliminate that form of competition when the plants go out of business..

.or at least buy them out at a reduced price.  

that is how they do it... again and again...
I just got back from AZ to Western NY the price jumps all over the place This is on a 4 day trip 2.75 in Az about the same in NM 2.60 in Tx  2.50 in OK& Mo progressing  east, got to NY, BINGO 3.05What galls me is that the states make a lot of tax $ and claim  it's not that much, in the meantime I see smaller cube engines and more gears 6 /8 speed trannys oh BTW talking about prices 3.59 in Needles Ca about 18 miles south at Us 95 and 40 in AZ their Pilot stop was 2.53 on the same day   all hell is going to break loose when it hits 5.00 a gal the govt is run by  big oil in my opinion, and until something changes  its the status quo . sorry for the ramblin' but FWIT , I e mailed K&N filters and asked why don't they put  their filters on all cars. it would inprove Cafe  standards and the answer was that the car companies make more profit from selling their brand of filters and, PROFIT is more important than efficiency

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"at what price point would you curtail your driving? I know that I tend to wait until I have several errands to do in Toledo to drive into town, where I didn't do that in the past. But I mean what price would have you making a drastic change?

Already did. I started about 4 years ago. Started riding my bike 2.5 miles to catch a bus to work. It is a nice coach bus, and I often take a n ice snooze on the way. Drops me off at the door to my office building. Costs me $1.50 each way. To drive it is 18 miles, which uses just under a gallon each way. I figure I save 3-4 dollars a day all things considered. On nice days I ride my bike all the way to work. My annual mileage on my car dropped from 18K to under 10K by biking, busin, and combining trips.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Dave

3.08 a gallon near work. I filled up yesterday when i came this way to pick up my son to go hunting. 40 bucks plus to fill up. I shoulda rode with sue today as the weather is gonna suck for hunting after work and I coulda rode there and home with my hutning buddy but she was comming in early and she is only working 2 days this week so its gonna cost me.. I look at it this way. We dont go out to eat very often or go to the bar so that money can buy gas to go hunting and stuff like that. I did ride he harley yesterday. To the front sidewalk and then back in the garage after giving the garage a good cleaning  :lol: Bike weather is about over here in michigan..
Dave

butch27

Our new national motto should be "We Say So".

chimp koose

the price of regular went up today to1.069/litre in saskatoon. there are 3.9 litres to an american gallon.with CDN dollar at 1.06 US that puts us at  $4.419US per USgallon. Maybe I should have left the 8HP 4 cyl. flathead in the Anglia!

Dave

3.15 this morning where I always buy my gas..  :twisted: At least im good till about thursday.
Dave :arrow:

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

35WINDOW

Being that I work in a different State than I live, it does hurt (and never mind the fact that I drive a new GMC 4wd Pickup back and forth due to the Weather)-

I know that I probably won't drive it every day, but now I wonder if I made the right choice by putting a 496 in my Coupe (when it's finished-will that ever happen? :roll: )-

Somehow, someday this will effect the Economy (can a Recession REALLY be that far away?)-

Carnut

bout all I'm worried about is if folks stop driving will they still want to look at car pics?