Its the weekend are you gonna do anything?

Started by Dave, January 06, 2007, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

It was zero here this morning. The high was 18. I hate it. It might warm up into the 30's this weekend. I finished the 32 up except for new header gaskets. They should be here tomorrow. I put it back in the storage shed so my wife could have the garage back.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

-34C here yesterday. barely any snow. Thats -31F for the rest of you.

purplepickup

Painting the living room walls and ceiling....  :roll:
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Leaves are falling off my trees now... no more grass mowing till february or march 2010
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Still working on wiring outlets, insulating and installing wall board in the shop.  Have another panel to put on the ceiling so I can install the propane furnace up there.  There is so much more to do, I may not get it done this winter.  Too darn cold.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat rat

I flew into Phoenix 6:oo pm Tues too pick up the truck I bought. I left there at 2:45 Wed afternoon and got home at 11:00 last night. I went the southern route because of all the reports I'd heard about the weather to the north. It added miles to the trip, total was 2300 mi. Everything went smoothly with no hiccups. Used one qt of oil which I consider good for a BBC. Mileage was a little lower than I expected as I didn't know it had 4.56 gears. Was glad for the Gear Vendor OD in it, mileage at 65-70 was 12 mpg. It was everything I'd thought it was and took the trip great.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat rat"I flew into Phoenix 6:00 pm Tues too pick up the truck I bought. I left there at 2:45 Wed afternoon and got home at 11:00 last night. I went the southern route because of all the reports I'd heard about the weather to the north. It added miles to the trip, total was 2300 mi. Everything went smoothly with no hiccups. Used one qt of oil which I consider good for a BBC. Mileage was a little lower than I expected as I didn't know it had 4.56 gears. Was glad for the Gear Vendor OD in it, mileage at 65-70 was 12 mpg. It was everything I'd thought it was and took the trip great.

1 quart on a BBC at that amount of miles traveled would be OK with me too.

The GV should cut the 4.56  gear ratio back to about 3.55 ,  with those taller tires it should run purty good down the road.
Tony

phat rat

Tony, your right on the final gear. I'm going to drive it awhile and see how it does. It pulls hard thru the gears of course, even at 70 mph. I have a complete rear from another dually that I scrapped out that's 3.73 so I have that choice also. If I decided to try that final would be 2.91. I'm going to wait and see what mpg gets pulling. If it's in the 8-9 range I'll proably leave it as it is.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat rat"Tony, your right on the final gear. I'm going to drive it awhile and see how it does. It pulls hard thru the gears of course, even at 70 mph. I have a complete rear from another dually that I scrapped out that's 3.73 so I have that choice also. If I decided to try that final would be 2.91. I'm going to wait and see what mpg gets pulling. If it's in the 8-9 range I'll proably leave it as it is.

kool...  do not equate lower RPM and gear numbers with better fuel mileage.  Sometimes that does not work as I am sure you know.

Pushing that heavy brick down the road at 12 mpg at 70mph  does not seem bad.  You may like the 4.56 gears depending on the trailer weight and hills encountered.  

There used to be bunch of those trucks running around here with similar stripe packages on them.  I wonder where they all went to?

I am looking at Craig's list for older  3/4 or 1 ton trucks with single rear tire , not sure I need a dually.  

8)
Tony

enjenjo

QuoteThere used to be bunch of those trucks running around here with similar stripe packages on them. I wonder where they all went to?

I have been wondering the same thing. For a while it seemed like every one and their brother had one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I hauled in 2 loads of dirt on my car trailer.  A fellow on Craig's List was digging a pool and he was about 6 miles from the house.  The dirt was free and he loaded it with a bobcat machine.

I had to shovel the  dirt off by myself.  I am not too sore tonight
Tony

WZ JUNK

I primed the 54 Chevy again this morning.  I am block sanding.  Not much fun.  I think I have it with the 220 grit and after this go around I will move to the 320.  I am getting there but it sure is slow work and it makes my arms tired.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

GPster

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I primed the 54 Chevy again this morning.  I am block sanding.  Not much fun.  I think I have it with the 220 grit and after this go around I will move to the 320.  I am getting there but it sure is slow work and it makes my arms tired. John
Is that the convertable you're building for your wife? Not enough days til Christmas. GPster

GPster

We're getting ready for Christmas. Because the kids are not grand parent short we're taking what time is available. Christmas Eve is next Friday so Christmas is next Saturday. The Cincinnati kids have school next week so that will cut the celebrating down for them. The other grand daughter's school ends Friday but her parents have work next week so they may go home without her. I hope they plan on coming back to get her so that Linda doesn't plan on shopping to give her a second Christmas here.Our Christmas to each other is the money we've been spending on things for the house. We bought gas fired logs for a non-usable fireplace in our dining room. I was hoping it would be for next Christmas but there have been hints dropped about the theme of it for the holidays. Maybe the grand daughter can chissel a hole in the hearth while I work on running gas pipe. GPster

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: CrosleyI hauled in 2 loads of dirt on my car trailer.  A fellow on Craig's List was digging a pool and he was about 6 miles from the house.  The dirt was free and he loaded it with a bobcat machine.

Hey Tony ...I prolly asked before but forgot ...A lot of homes in the Metro area by you ( Phoenix)  have in ground pools but very few houses have basements .. ( No connection other than "concrete lined holes in the ground") ..Is there any special reason for that???

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****