Its the weekend are you gonna do anything?

Started by Dave, January 06, 2007, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

a lot of pools in AZ because it is HOT in the summertime. no basements because no frost heaving so no need to dig to get below it.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

purplepickup

Quote from: "river1".. no basements because no frost heaving so no need to dig to get below it.

later jim
Basements add a lot of cheap living space....and they're cooler in the summer.  Seems logical to have one.  Like Ug said, it's just another concrete lined hole in the ground.
George

river1

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "river1".. no basements because no frost heaving so no need to dig to get below it.

later jim
Basements add a lot of cheap living space....and they're cooler in the summer.  Seems logical to have one.  Like Ug said, it's just another concrete lined hole in the ground.

until recently land was pretty cheap in AZ. it it cheaper to grow out when land is cheap then to go down. where you have frost heave you are digging down anyway to get below it so you might as well make it a basement. your cooler in summer argument is why i wish i had a basement but it wasn't even an option in my area.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

reborn55

wife and I spent Saturday afternoon and evening taking care of 4 grandkids with the stomach flu--really nice when you tour the local fair grounds looking at light displays.  Wife got about 3 hours sleep--sent them back to dad's this morning.  Had a nice mess to clean up in the van while she cleaned the house.  Managed to redo strut rod bushings on the ragtop--drove it --shimmy in the steering wheel still there--disconnected battery, put cover on it and said F___ it for now.  Will work on the wife's coupe.

Crosley.In.AZ

I would speculate that the reason for the lack of basements in the metro Phoenix area is money.

We owned a tri-level home back in the 1980's where the lower part of the house  was below ground level  about 4 feet.  it was cooler and quieter in that section of the house.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Kept pretty busy this weekend.  Cleaned up some of the snow from last week's big storm.  Put a sound card in my pc.  I'm spending a lot more time at this machine and the onboard sound was really bugging me as I'm a bit of an audiophile.  Christmas tree is up now and the rest of the decorations out of the attic so they can be dealt with.

Carwise I changed the oil in my DD.  Also working on Digger's idea for a steel plate attached to the workbench with square tubing welded in so that stationary tools can be placed and removed at will.  

In addition I started on some cribbing to set the '57 on to get it up where it can be worked on more easily.  Probably finish them tomorrow night.  Being a pro-touring build my anticipated tire sizes are going to be 245 45R 16s on the front and 265 45R 17 on the back to give it a bit of the big & little effect but not a lot.  Once the cribbing is done I'll pick up some plywood to cut some shop shoes in those diameters.  Make up some allthread "shock absorbers" to lock in the ride height and I'll be ready to start replacing rockers and floors.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

purplepickup

Quote from: "jaybee"Also working on Digger's idea for a steel plate attached to the workbench with square tubing welded in so that stationary tools can be placed and removed at will.  

In addition I started on some cribbing to set the '57 on to get it up where it can be worked on more easily.  Probably finish them tomorrow night.  Being a pro-touring build my anticipated tire sizes are going to be 245 45R 16s on the front and 265 45R 17 on the back to give it a bit of the big & little effect but not a lot.  Once the cribbing is done I'll pick up some plywood to cut some shop shoes in those diameters.  Make up some allthread "shock absorbers" to lock in the ride height and I'll be ready to start replacing rockers and floors.
Post some pics or start a thread showing the bench mod and the mocked up '57....please :D   My first car was a '57 sedan delivery and I'd like to find another to use for a daily driver.  Your wagon project will teach me lots 8)
George

alchevy

Worked on putting up new fence for the horses on Friday. Saturday it rained all day. Went to a Christmas program Saturday night. Sunday, we went to a car club Christmas party, then came back home and loaded up my camcorder gear and went to church to film the choir singing. Now I have to edit the video and make some DVDs of it. I have 4 cameras that I can feed into a video editor box, then it feeds out to a DVD burner. It works good when I hook everything up right. I only used 3 cameras last night and did not know until I unhooked the wires that I used the wrong cable on the wrong camera so that is why I could not find a cable to hook up to one of them. I was in a hurry to connect everything up before it started. So now I have three camera tapes and one DVD to put together.
The video editor box does a very nice job with all of the cuts to different cameras. Just like the pros use only it only cost $500 instead of what a whole studio cost.
My wife's family is coming over next Saturday so we are getting ready for that. It's the first time they have been to our new home.
I am still looking for a job and my wife has started looking as her job is ending at the end of the year.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Carps

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"it makes my arms tired.
I have the same problem when I'm flying.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Carps"

Don't hold the broom handle so tight next time.

:shock:   :?:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Carps"

Don't hold the broom handle so tight next time.

:shock:   :?:

it's not a broom handle... :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

BFS57

Hello;
Didn't do anything this year! Going to Calif. to visit my Aunt! She has been cooking all the really great things I never get to eat!
No decorations! No Tree! No lights on the house! Yipee!!
Everybody have a great Holiday!!!

Bruce

papastoyss

Sat. nite the 12th my better half & I hosted a get together for the 2  rod clubs we belong to. She had rented a bld. at the local fairgrounds for her large family's Christmas dinner so we decided to do double duty. We were expecting around 30 people & 60 showed up! Good thing it was a pot luck meal. We had asked guests to bring their old photo albums from past years & had two 8ft tables of memories to look at. One of the clubs is Nashville Street Rod Assn. which put on the Gatlinburg rod runs in the 70s so we had pics of old rods & "cool" fashions from that era.Everyone really enjoyed the pics, gave us something to do besides eat & talk about those who weren't there.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

I went to Colorado Springs for a family Christmas. When I returned sunday, I installed new header gaskets in the 32 and went for a run. First time since it became a 342. It was better. I think that the only way to achieve my goal is to put a 6-71 on top of the engine. I had a small vacuum leak on the upper plenum that caused it to go nuts a couple of days later. I think it's good now. This weekend, it's going to get a few road miles on it. My next project is to fabricate a new seat. I have a few ideas that may work out ok. I'm not completely happy with the mini van seat. I need some support in some areas that the current seat doesn't have. Best wishes to all of you.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

Quote from: "kb426"My next project is to fabricate a new seat. I have a few ideas that may work out ok. I'm not completely happy with the mini van seat. I need some support in some areas that the current seat doesn't have. Best wishes to all of you.
Getting a seat to be comfortable in a truck without eating up legroom can be a real challenge.  Building your own is probably best.  

I recently bought a Pontiac Vibe interior for my Rambler wagon and the buckets are very comfortable with some adjustments that might work in my truck....lumbar, tilt/height of base, etc.  The pickup is tucked away in a storage bag and I can't get to it til next spring.  When I dig it out next year but I'll be checking the seats for fit in it.  They look promising.
George