Its the weekend are you gonna do anything?

Started by Dave, January 06, 2007, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

My son was here for the weekend so I didn't get much done. We rode around in the deuce some and serviced his Mustang. I'm working on some rollers for my bead roller to replicate the 32 bed bead. It's around 104 degrees in the garage so I'm not to excited. It's summer and I'm happy. I've had all the bikes out for exercise and life is good. :lol:
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

Took the track roadster out this morning for a 30 mile loop on two lane black top. Haven't got the speedo sorted out yet so I made a chart last night for speeds in each gear through  3500 rpm.

It cruises along at 60 in overdrive at 2000. Pretty comfortable. Slowly getting the little things done and finding additional projects. It definitely need a little under-dash tray like an English sports car for sunglasses, hat, cell phone, camera, etc.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Took the track roadster out this morning for a 30 mile loop on two lane black top. Haven't got the speedo sorted out yet so I made a chart last night for speeds in each gear through  3500 rpm.

It cruises along at 60 in overdrive at 2000. Pretty comfortable. Slowly getting the little things done and finding additional projects. It definitely need a little under-dash tray like an English sports car for sunglasses, hat, cell phone, camera, etc.

Charlie

I had the roadster out for another run yesterday.. I still have to find out why its seems to ride stiff.. It sure dont ride like the coupe did but other than the rear coil overs being a different brand i havent got a clue a  to why its so harsh of a ride.. Of course the roads by me suck and on a smooth road its smooth but im working on it....
Dave

Danimal

Quote from: "jusjunk"I still have to find out why its seems to ride stiff.. It sure dont ride like the coupe did but other than the rear coil overs being a different brand i havent got a clue a  to why its so harsh of a ride.. Of course the roads by me suck and on a smooth road its smooth but im working on it....
Dave

Note to self, drive on smooth roads. Check.

Dave

Ya thanks Dan.... I was thinking maybe Frank will chime in here and maybe he has an idea or 2.. Frank I checked my spring to front cross member clearance and its no where near hitting like the 32 your working on.. Also yes  i did twist the front spring a bit setting the caster but it aint much. Im kinda wondering now after putting the front spring on the axle if the car is maybe too soft spring wise in the front . The shocks are working but if its too soft that could create a harsh ride in the front too... Some things to ponder i guess.. Im just assuming i have 200 lb springs on the coil overs on the rear but they could be 250's and id really like the 180's that they sell and i may just buy a set of black ones to try. They are a lot cheaper than the chrome ones..
Dave....

enjenjo

I got the frame notches cut yesterday, and the C inserts made, may get them welded in today, after I get back from Toledo. I reworked the throttle cable, and trans kickdown cable, and started rewiring the inside of the car.

Tomorrow is the super cruise at Wauseon, they are expexting 700 to 800 cars.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"I got the frame notches cut yesterday, and the C inserts made, may get them welded in today, after I get back from Toledo. I reworked the throttle cable, and trans kickdown cable, and started rewiring the inside of the car.

Tomorrow is the super cruise at Wauseon, they are expexting 700 to 800 cars.

Its supposed to rain tomorrow
Dave

chimp koose

had a friend over to help me install a new garage door . The old one was rotten. It looks like a new shop on the inside now.Shingles are next to do and then I can get back to work on the anglia.

enjenjo

Quote from: "jusjunk"Ya thanks Dan.... I was thinking maybe Frank will chime in here and maybe he has an idea or 2.. Frank I checked my spring to front cross member clearance and its no where near hitting like the 32 your working on.. Also yes  i did twist the front spring a bit setting the caster but it aint much. Im kinda wondering now after putting the front spring on the axle if the car is maybe too soft spring wise in the front . The shocks are working but if its too soft that could create a harsh ride in the front too... Some things to ponder i guess.. Im just assuming i have 200 lb springs on the coil overs on the rear but they could be 250's and id really like the 180's that they sell and i may just buy a set of black ones to try. They are a lot cheaper than the chrome ones..
Dave....

You can get a pretty good handle on what the rate is on the springs you have, by micing the wire, and calling one of the manufacturers. Steel is steel, and for the same rate, they will all be about the same size.

For a car as light as yours, I would think 125 to 150 lbs per inch would be pretty close.

I did not have to use the adjustable perches, when I started putting it together I found that the four bar mounts on the frame were wrong, and all the bars were too long. :shock:  I shortened the bars 1/4" each, and it fell right together, no bind.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "jusjunk"Ya thanks Dan.... I was thinking maybe Frank will chime in here and maybe he has an idea or 2.. Frank I checked my spring to front cross member clearance and its no where near hitting like the 32 your working on.. Also yes  i did twist the front spring a bit setting the caster but it aint much. Im kinda wondering now after putting the front spring on the axle if the car is maybe too soft spring wise in the front . The shocks are working but if its too soft that could create a harsh ride in the front too... Some things to ponder i guess.. Im just assuming i have 200 lb springs on the coil overs on the rear but they could be 250's and id really like the 180's that they sell and i may just buy a set of black ones to try. They are a lot cheaper than the chrome ones..
Dave....

You can get a pretty good handle on what the rate is on the springs you have, by micing the wire, and calling one of the manufacturers. Steel is steel, and for the same rate, they will all be about the same size.

For a car as light as yours, I would think 125 to 150 lbs per inch would be pretty close.

I did not have to use the adjustable perches, when I started putting it together I found that the four bar mounts on the frame were wrong, and all the bars were too long. :shock:  I shortened the bars 1/4" each, and it fell right together, no bind.

Frank that sure seems light as everyone suggests 200 for a roadster so thats why i was thinking 180. I had 250's on the coupe and it coulda used 200's.. Ill ponder that a while as its nothing i need to do right now but i do want to soften it up a bunch.
Dave

EMSjunkie

Just put more cushion in the seat......problem solved :idea:

or....get yerself some wool seat covers.......super comfortable :wink:  :wink:

or......spring for those E-bay coil overs, they should make it ride REAL nice :lol:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

I may be a little under on the springs, but I think 200 is too much. A glass roadster is just not that heavy in the rear.

Danimal

As for this weekend, I'm baling hay. Anyone that wants to join in is welcome to do so! Start tonight, most likely.

jaybee

Leaving in about 5 minutes for the IRL race in Newton.  I'll be there all day all 3 days.  Watch for me on Sunday, I'll stand up as they come to green so I'm easy to see.  ;)
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

reborn55

Depending on rainfall--taking both cars to local car show.  Weekend festival--baby christining on Sunday and maybe a little side job work.  Kind of a relaxing weekend unless it really rains a lot.