RRT BBQ

Started by enjenjo, November 26, 2006, 09:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

We have to do some maintainence/modification on the RRT BBQ, after three years of use, it needs some work.

For one thing, we have always had trouble controlling the heat, and I'm not smart enough to know why. And of late we have picked up a problem getting a sufficient volume of gas to some of the burners. We also have to repack bearings, touch up paint, and do a good wax job.

So I am proposing a BBQ build day some time late march, or early april. for those of you that have never participated in one, we do a little work, tell a few lies, and have a nice cookout when we have a build day. Every one is invited, even if all you can do is tell us we are doing it wrong :lol:

So what I need a ideas on the date, ideas on how to fix this, and an idea of how many will participate.

I also want to let the members know that anyone on the board can use the BBQ, it has been used for several parties by the members in this area, outside of the shows we take it to.

So lets hear some feedback
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "enjenjo"We have to do some maintainence/modification on the RRT BBQ, after three years of use, it needs some work.
So I am proposing a BBQ build day some time late march, or early april.
So lets hear some feedback

Keep me clued in as to when this will take place. We have a new airline in town with service from Clearwater direct to Toledo. It'll be easier than going through ORD again. I had fun on the first one... :!:  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Flathead Youngin'

yeah, i might be game.......i'll keep an eye on when and where...

Crosley.In.AZ

I guess we need to find a BBQ / propane person?

I do not remember...... does the BBQ get too hot or not enough heat to get R going?

Seems like there was a slide BBQ bought from Lowes / Walmart type place that was installed into the trailer??
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"I guess we need to find a BBQ / propane person?

I do not remember...... does the BBQ get too hot or not enough heat to get R going?

Seems like there was a slide BBQ bought from Lowes / Walmart type place that was installed into the trailer??

The problem we have at this time is the heat fluctuates wildly. It might be fine for a while then without making any changes to the controls it will be so hot it is burning everything on the grill.

It was actually built using the parts of 2 H burner grills with some new parts in place of the old, like the burner and hoses.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Fat Cat"

The problem we have at this time is the heat fluctuates wildly. It might be fine for a while then without making any changes to the controls it will be so hot it is burning everything on the grill.

It was actually built using the parts of 2 H burner grills with some new parts in place of the old, like the burner and hoses.

maybe there is a faulty regulator or under sized for the job so it can regulate properly?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Fat Cat"

maybe there is a faulty regulator or under sized for the job so it can regulate properly?

It has been considered. As it is setup now there is a manifold that is connected to 2-20lb tanks. On each end of the manafold is a regulator to each set of controls to each H burner. The Boiling pot is on a seperate tank with its own regulator. I know a guy that works in a RV shop and can get ahold of the stuff like they use on RV's and we have talked about that setup.

moparrodder

I too was wondering about the regulator. The company I work for also sells and delivers propane and I'll ask that division about the problem Monday and see if they have a soultion.  Bill

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

purplepickup

I'll be there.  Building it was fun.  It almost was sad to see it get done...no more build parties.

Here's a couple pics of the build days.

George

GPster

This is an odd-ball idea.  Propane in the tanks is a liquid and it must vaporize in the area inside the tank to be usable. When it does this it tends to cool the tank down some. The tanks in the trailer are in a confined area of the trailer and insulated from the outside temperature. Maybe after a while they are getting to cool to vaporize corectly, like after an extended period of hard use. Normal grills have the tanks protected but out in the open air. Maybe the propane is not properly vaporizing an the changes in the vapor pressure and qualities of the gas/liquid cannot be properly handled by the regulators. Maybe when we set the trailer up to cook we shoul take the tanks out and have them on the ground, one on one side and one on the other? That's as much sense as I can make at 2:00 in the morning so I won't even try to make suggestions about changes to RRT. GPster

Dave

I guess I could find some free time and come down :?:  Im pretty busy ya know :!: Im not going to puerto rico this next march or april for that matter so it sounds like fun to me. Maybe we will have some venison muchies ready by then
Dave :lol:

sirstude

Keep me posted also please.  Also where the BBQ fix will be.  I have enough air miles to get a ticket out somewhere and that would be a great use for them.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

I'd love to make one of these gigs! After the upcoming long Winter....I'll be ready!Let us know when and where!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

moparrodder

Frank, I just talked with our propane man and he suggested you check the pressure regulators.  He said that if it burns fine at the start and later increases in temp and flame that is ususlly an indication of a regulator malfunction.  Is the problem on both burners or just one side, if just one burner has the problem that will be the bad regulator.  Hope this helps and I sure would like to make the trip out for the work day when you pick a day. I'll just have to see what the ole pocket book says and how much thearpy I have to do with my shoulder after surgery.  Catch ya later, betterget back to work before they miss me LOL    
    Bill