A little RRT survey

Started by purplepickup, November 26, 2006, 06:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the RRT format?

Nothing needs changing.  It's fine the way it is.
38 (33.9%)
I'd like to see some things different.
48 (42.9%)
I don't care either way.
26 (23.2%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: November 26, 2006, 06:05:39 PM

CalifCarl

Quote from: "Broman"
Quote from: "CalifCarl"

Fat Cat no rudeness taken.  The comment that I read may have been from another poster.  No big deal either way.   I see it at the HAMB big time.  Statement like only Alliance Member can use the want adds and the such. But then again it's the users making these suggestion.

Well, looks like you're wrong all the way around CaliCarl. Never seen anything like a pay-to-play here, and the HAMB is as far from pay-to-play as they come.

I think that I would live here if it were not for the HAMB - no disrespect, and I realize there are many dual members floating back and forth so I know non will be taken...I men look at me, right?

For me - it's the member involvement in events and get togethers, the feeling like I can trust fellow HAMBers -because Ryan would have my back if I were double-crossed, and the fact that the HAMB hasn't sold out just to gain members (with a constant flow of t-shirt sales and the like).

The members step up and hold auctions and make donations and it just keeps getting bigger and better.

The fact that the shirts only come around once in a while and when they do - you get 'em while they're hot. After they are gone - they're gone. Supply vs. demand ya' know?

The bad news - you can't create that kind of thing artificially. I mean - you can't go to a member and tell him or her that it's their turn to contribute...

So as far as this kind of thing - I think you just have to keep watering the orchid - some day it WILL bloom.

If I had any advice as far as the forum goes...I don't know I guess I'd say that you could use a make-over. It never hurts.

That's part of the appeal of a web site - the appearance. If it creates a mood before you even read a word - it is doing something to appeal to more readers.

Look at the magazine rack. You see the cover of one magazine and you either want to see more or you pass it up for the next...If you like it well enought to pick it up and leaf through it - whatever you see on the inside better live up to the cover or it's back onto the rack...

Look at Garage magazine (if you haven't already). It is a good looking piece inside and out. It makes you want to read whatever is in there....which I still haven't done yet!!!  So if the content of the articles are bad - it still got me to look. I doubt if that's the case - but hey if the content and the appearance complement one another - they have a winner...

I think if you just put together a really nice, classy looking format - you'd go a long way towards your goal.

Either way I am sticking around (even if I don't post much).

I never said pay to play was a requirement.  But if it makes you feel better to call someone wrong, just because you never read it, so be it.

The HAMB has exploded over the years and the members contribute what looks like a boat load of money.   I'm not trying to point out any trouble or disrepect.  But in the same thread on the HAMB where it was suggested that only Alliance Member could sell, Ryan was talking about freeloaders.

I have bought and sold over there, very little.  Even frame boxing plates from Engenjo.  I've bid in auctions, but never won one.  But I have never just donates straight up.  I would guess that would put me in the freeloader class.   Maybe not what he ment.

jaybee

Yes, I'd say something needs to change to improve "eyeball count" but darned if I can say for sure what that would be.  Probably that's a good thing and it speaks to the fact that this is my automotive home on the internet and I'm comfortable here.  I'd like to see more build pics/stories and tech info, but then again I'm not doing my part to provide that content.

As for flashing icons there's a whole chunk of the internet that's about that sort of thing Bryan, no need for that here.  :)
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Broman

Quote from: "CalifCarl"

I never said pay to play was a requirement.  But if it makes you feel better to call someone wrong, just because you never read it, so be it.

The HAMB has exploded over the years and the members contribute what looks like a boat load of money.   I'm not trying to point out any trouble or disrepect.  But in the same thread on the HAMB where it was suggested that only Alliance Member could sell, Ryan was talking about freeloaders.

I have bought and sold over there, very little.  Even frame boxing plates from Engenjo.  I've bid in auctions, but never won one.  But I have never just donates straight up.  I would guess that would put me in the freeloader class.   Maybe not what he ment.

Wrong again.

Ryan isn't trying to cut down on freeloaders at all - it's the deadbeat buyers/seller he's trying to axe.

And I am not an Alliance Member so I have no reason to be "selling" the idea.

The whole "Alliance Members only" for the classifieds isn't in play. Ryan is trying to work around it....

BTW, I'm not being a snot here - just pointing out the facts.

Besides - I didn't come here to promote the HAMB - I came to help RTT....

and my advise is to explore the creative/artistic side - not the functionality.

It's a message board for cryin' out loud - all you need to do is post and reply to messages!!

A graphic upgrade will make more folks who are just passing through - stop and take a longer look. Which gives us the chance to keep them - even if only a slight chance. But some is better than none.

The only thing that keeps me away from here is the types of cars...

I'm not an IFS/SBC/over-the-counter type of guy, and that's the bread and butter crowd here.

Carnut

I'm not an IFS/SBC/over-the-counter type of guy, and that's the bread and butter crowd here.

Hey, if God didn't want SBC's in early Fords he wouldn't have made them fit so well.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "jaybee"

As for flashing icons there's a whole chunk of the internet that's about that sort of thing Bryan, no need for that here.  :)

Maybe you're right...
The thought of a small version of Enjenjo pulling a trenchcoat open to reveal a sign that says "Check this out" every time a new Tech post was made, is a bit sqeamish... :shock:  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Broman

Quote from: "Carnut"

Hey, if God didn't want SBC's in early Fords he wouldn't have made them fit so well.

If god wanted SBCs in Fords he wouldn't have built the flathead....

Carnut

Naw, Henry was just too hard headed to listen to God when he laid the 11th commandment on him.

Broman

Naw, Henry was just too hard headed to listen to God when he laid the 11th commandment on him.

It wasn't god's commandment that put a SBC in a Ford - that was a SIN.

Carnut

Well, I guess Ford does have one saving grace, they did produce the 9".

Carnut

I've also been wondering why, since you run banner ads, that you don't also Google Text ads on the forum?

Google Text ads are what's keeping me alive.

sal37

Recently there appears to have been a reduction in the number of posts and only relatively few of the broad members posting (and often not completely hotrod orientated).  

I regularly visit the site but don't always login and am selective in what I look at.

The board has a great depth of knowledge and for people like myself (limited hotrod experience and not much to constructively contribute) it really does help to have RRT as a backstop - and I met some great people when Neil and I visited in 2004.  

To me the construction aspect could be separated out and the for sale/wanted/ebay items area could be improved.  But apart from that the board is a great place to come for a bit of relief from the daily toil.

I don't think that posting anicdotes about the goings on of my two young children will be what people want to hear about - and thats about where I am in my life cycle!!

Steve

Broman

Quote from: "sal37"Recently there appears to have been a reduction in the number of posts and only relatively few of the broad members posting (and often not completely hotrod orientated).  

I regularly visit the site but don't always login and am selective in what I look at.

The board has a great depth of knowledge and for people like myself (limited hotrod experience and not much to constructively contribute) it really does help to have RRT as a backstop - and I met some great people when Neil and I visited in 2004.  

To me the construction aspect could be separated out and the for sale/wanted/ebay items area could be improved.  But apart from that the board is a great place to come for a bit of relief from the daily toil.

I don't think that posting anicdotes about the goings on of my two young children will be what people want to hear about - and thats about where I am in my life cycle!!

Steve

There's nothing wrong with not posting - traffic is traffic.

And I wish more folks knew how to use the search function back at the HAMB...so many posts on the same topics...

rooster

I see nothing wrong about  the small changes mentioned, perhaps a lounge may help! This would keep rod related tech threads on top,encourging input or participation!

I think a growing tech section is vital. Those communications of posters unloading their ideas for your or someone elses benefit should not be taken lightly  even if YOU already "know all about it", someone else may not!   It wasn't that long ago that a lot of posts were lost because of format change or software requirements ! Maybe this would protect
these selected post .

I can say that I have, for the most part, made a lot of posts over at CT because it just makes sense that I zero in on the type of car that we are working on, its the right audience! I refer people over there to the good post made here on tech stuff.  I'm sure to some degree these specialized forms or user groups are gobbling up knowledge seekers. I come to the RRT every day and checkout whats going on, answer something if I can. I
have voted for a change. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Crosley.In.AZ

Couple of items I see mentioned.

Off topic area for stuff like I posted on my new grand kids.  Did I mention they were twins?  One boy , One girl ... :wink:  :wink:

A project / under construction  area to sorta bring folks up to date on what yer building?

We have a tech area , so that can take care of tool discussions , building / adapting  parts, & completed projects like adapting disc brakes or a rear suspension install.

The current tech area is posted articles....... should we change that to a forum discussion like this?  Or  both?

8)

As some folks mention , I do not want this site to get heavy with different sections.

I do not fully understand the negative comments on the classified section.... Have you guys looked at the ad section since the update?  It seems easy to use to me.  Pick a category to read or view all of them

First ad post takes a little time , then it's easy. You can also go back to add or edit stuff in the ad.

Keep the suggestions coming.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Well, I am impressed with the responses on this post, there was a lot of thought put into them. Keep them coming.

I can see some areas that we need to work on, tech being one of them. Last spring I tried to get some tech posts by offering prises, there wasn't much participation. I'll see what we can come up with.

I see that if some of you used the index page as a home page, rather than the general forum, that would help too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.