A little RRT survey

Started by purplepickup, November 26, 2006, 06:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the RRT format?

Nothing needs changing.  It's fine the way it is.
38 (33.9%)
I'd like to see some things different.
48 (42.9%)
I don't care either way.
26 (23.2%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: November 26, 2006, 06:05:39 PM

enjenjo

Keep it up, I'm listening.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Quote from: "enjenjo"Keep it up, I'm listening.

Well now, we could get all sorts of theoretical here and discuss what kind of a forum are you wanting?

Some folks/forums are really into almost being a chat group, continuous activity and posting and interactions.

Some folks/forums are kinda like newspapers, postings that a lot of folks just like to come and read what's up with the latest happenings and activities.

Some folks/forums are more like resources or libraries of information with some knowedgeable minders around to help find/answer a question.

Some folks/forums I kinda think of as a continuing game of chess, folks log in daily or at intervals and 'make a move' post so to speak and then wait for someone else a little later to respond or 'move'.

Much as I hate to say it, sometimes the 'mine is bigger than yours' posts are good for bringing out a lot of bench riders/lurkers to post jocular defenses of their own.

Guess it needs to be decided what the result you want and then work on how to make it happen.

Course I'm kind of a believer in evolution and just going with the flow with some nudging along the way to whatever result may occur.

Carps

Quote from: "Rayvyn"Being as how I was one of the original 10 when this board started up over 11 years ago, I've witnessed that it's had a few turmoils and twists and turns, but the diligent work of a select few has kept this one of the more successful boards running. A few others have failed, and a couple of others have grown by leaps and bounds.
Some people keeping their mouths shut has helped too.   :wink:

QuoteBut as others have said, I think the most important ingredient in keeping this forum the best one out there is the people on it. Spending time together at shows, or helping each other with one project or another, or participating in the trials and tribulations of fellow members, or by just posting in a friendly jousting way, everyone seems to be friends to one degree or another.
Just for that I'm going to come visit again..... soon.   :shock:  

QuoteOne knows that by posting here, he or she isn't going to get chewed up and spit out by smart alecks with attitudes for not following the "rules", or be chastized by a bunch of self important know-it-alls that look down their noses at beginners or non-conformists.
Whata about smart alecks without attitude?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

QuoteBeing a member of this forum is like putting on a pair of slippers, sitting by a warm fire on a chilly night and sitting back in your favorite chair while reading your latest car magazine...It's relaxing and comfortable. And informative.
What?  Not snuggled up with your favourite Dolly?   :shock:

QuoteI've always been behind the folks that run this board, and have supported whatever they wanted to do with it, because it's been a winner in my book for years now. But a few points that others have offered do stir my interest a bit.
I do wish you wouldn't say things I have to agree with.  This place was the best back then and remains one of the best along with that other Aussie board, what's it called again?  

QuoteAn off topic section would be good to look at.
It works over on the other side, but not always.  Some kinda forget what it's for or don't think rodders should be able to discuss other issues on a 'rodding forum'.

QuoteWhatever you Big Kahuna's decide to do is okay with me. But I'm still going to pick on Dave and Vance, even if it's in the OT section... :D
It's OK with me too, and I'd like to be allowed to continue to pick on Da Rayvyn, even when he thinks I'm not paying attention.   :twisted:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

chopped

Bit of a surprise getting an E-mail from the group as I haven't been around for a year or so. Among other things, George asked for opinions so heres mine as to why at least one guy wandered off.  After a couple years I concluded it was an internet group where personal contact counted for a lot and not being close enough to participate in your gatherings somewhat excluded me from the board. I stopped a couple years at Louisville and except for the two people famous for spreading goodwill was was ignored when I tried to strike up a conversation. Now try not and get me wrong here, I really didn't see much wrong with the attitude, just that you were more like a family not very interested in "outsiders".   On the other hand, when I set up my 700r4 a personal E-mail recieved a complete and helpfull response, go figure.  Skip

BFS57

Hello;
Between the turkey and having 4 days off and re-wiring my daily driver, I haven't had time to do much internet.
I pretty much like the forum the way it is. I have not tried to post photos because I am not a computer guru that can figure out "why won't it go!".
With my luck It will be as difficult as possible!
I like most of the post because I get a chance to transfer some knowledge I have to someone that wants to learn something or be totally silly!
I think some change is good but just what, I don't know.

Bruce

Carps

Quote from: "chopped"After a couple years I concluded it was an internet group where personal contact counted for a lot and not being close enough to participate in your gatherings somewhat excluded me from the board.
The personal contact deal I always considered a bonus.  A pretty big bonus but a bonus all the same.  And as part of that deal i have a whole bunch of fantastic personal buddies and some incredible memories of or adventures.  But again it's still all down to this place as the starting point.

QuoteI stopped a couple years at Louisville and except for the two people famous for spreading goodwill was was ignored when I tried to strike up a conversation.
I'm sorry that happened, but I can understand it too.  I always leave feeling frustrated that i haven't spent enough time with each and every person.  Fact is I know it's stupid to feel that way because there's just not enough time available to catch up and spend time with everybody I'd like to.

QuoteI really didn't see much wrong with the attitude, just that you were more like a family not very interested in "outsiders".
I usually emvbrace outsiders, it's my brothers and sisters I tend to ingnore.   :wink:

QuoteOn the other hand, when I set up my 700r4 a personal E-mail recieved a complete and helpfull response, go figure.  Skip
Kinda proves my theory that the personal contact deal is a bonus.  :wink:
Carps

Carps

Quote from: "BFS57"Between the turkey...

Was that directed at me or The Rayvyn?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Carnut

OK, more thoughts on the subject, not to just worry the topic to death but.

Been watching the Turner Movie Channel  were they have been discussing 'what makes a cult movie?'.

How does one make a cult movie?

Well, one dosen't, no one can make a cult movie, an audience makes a Cult Movie. Cult movies become one when a movie has something that attracts a certain following in an audience.

Kinda the same for a forum, ya really can't really make a forum, a group of posters make a forum.

But, something needs to draw and keep posters once a poster shows up.

Again that responsibility is usually the owner/operators/moderators or 'hero' posters who keep posting things of interest to the other posters, or keep the conversation going with the other posters.

Now here is one thing that will probably get me poofed real quick for suggesting it.

You all might consider a somewhat more pleasant color scheme that might be more inviting to more posters.

Setting a color scheme to satisfy one's own preferences might be cool, but might not be the most pleasant thing for the rest of the folks.

I know that I am put off with the current color scheme and can't spend too much time here before having to leave to avoid something akin to seasickness.

old yeller

Anything can be improved.  That being said, I think the board is OK the way it is.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Carnut"
You all might consider a somewhat more pleasant color scheme that might be more inviting to more posters.

I know that I am put off with the current color scheme and can't spend too much time here before having to leave to avoid something akin to seasickness.
I don't care for the color scheme either but you do have a choice.  Go into your profile and change the Board Style setting to HRI Layout instead of RRT Layout.  The blue colors are much more comfortable for me.
George

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Carnut"
Been watching the Turner Movie Channel  were they have been discussing 'what makes a cult movie?'.

How does one make a cult movie?

Well, one dosen't, no one can make a cult movie, an audience makes a Cult Movie. Cult movies become one when a movie has something that attracts a certain following in an audience.

Kinda the same for a forum, ya really can't really make a forum, a group of posters make a forum.

But, something needs to draw and keep posters once a poster shows up.

I voted number 3.  Talk to any psychobabbleist, and they'll tell you that men are resistant to change (more so than women are).  Move my recliner over a couple inches, and it'll be right back where it was before.  Carnut stated it best; you can't make a cult movie any more than you can a 'cult forum'.  (I've got a can of shaving cream in the cabinet that says 'collector can #2'. :roll:).  This is the first site I visit when I come online (even before the Honda site), mainly because it's 'user' friendly and full of knowledge.   I more or less like the site the way it is, but if you add something now and then, it's not really a change, but a nice addition....easy to handle.

The site as it is is easy to navigate and follow.  You can also ask questions about newer stuff and get replies (I mean, not everyone drives their antiques/rods as an everyday driver).  Seems like everyone here has some expertise that can help someone out with a problem.  The Honda site tried an O/T board, but it was cancelled, as it got out of hand (you think HD riders are radical, try Wing riders :shock: ).  

I've only had the opportunity to meet one RRT member in person, and I've seemed to mess that up, for which I'm sorry.  I've wanted to get to the get togethers in Ohio or Utah, etc., but home projects just seem to take precedence...maybe in 07.

Fatcat and enjenjoe, and the moderators, keep up the good work.  It's your board, and you seem to be doing something right to keep it a premier site; biggest isn't always best (the cult thing, you know).  PurplePU, thanks for the tip on the colors.  That'll wake me up in the morning. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Jimmy Jay

I voted wishy-washy.  Change is sometimes good.  A couple other forums I spend way more time at have "off topic" forums and I've stayed FAR away from them; they get some real wackos and flamers posting there.  I don't visit any BB for that kind of abuse.  Help me when I need it, accept my advise when you ask for it (you don't have to follow it but don't criticize if you don't), and otherwise leave me alone, thanks.

Since I haven't visited here in months I have very little to complain about and even less to try to change.

If the past is any judge, I'll check back here around the 4th of July!

Enjoy and be careful with space heaters this winter!

Jaybo
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.  :wink:

Stevie G

I just don't have the time I used to.
That is going to be changing so, maybe now I can chime in a little more often.
Do you like monsters?  Get a Swamp Thing T-Shirt

Ed ke6bnl

I could suggest that there were different types of delivery of watched messages, daily, instant, and weekly.  

the other thing it is nice when you read the forum there is a symbol that lets you know you are subscribed to the topic  while you are scanning the messages  
non are biggies but just a thought.  thanks for all the good work and classy people on the group Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

EisenMark

I'd like to see a thread of tutorials from very basic things to advanced.  There are things like this in the forum from time to time, but no set section for them.