A little RRT survey

Started by purplepickup, November 26, 2006, 06:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the RRT format?

Nothing needs changing.  It's fine the way it is.
38 (33.9%)
I'd like to see some things different.
48 (42.9%)
I don't care either way.
26 (23.2%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: November 26, 2006, 06:05:39 PM

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I think a "for sale" forum and a "wanted forum" similar to the HAMB would be something to consider. The current ads area is somewhat cumbersome to use IMHO.

Maybe a tech forum - might encourage the how-to type posts.

Just a couple thoughts.

Charlie

interesting.

I feel our classified section here is tops. Different sections that cover most automobile items........  The HAMB has 2 sections : " For sale & Wanted"

A few  cliks here and you have the ad placed.... with photo too.

The other problem with setting things up like the HAMB is that we would have to hire someone to program the forum to work like they did over there. The templets would have to be created and incorporated into the software. I setup the one we have because someon had already done the work of programming and incorporating it into the forum. Between work, family and school I just do not have the time to learn the programming to do all that right now.

That's fine Frank - it was just a thought - I'm not a computer person so I have no idea what any sort of change might entail. I'm not holding the HAMB up as the end all, be all by any means.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

I would like to see the RRT split into sub sctions to make finding articles easier. Having General, Tech, Events and Off Topic in seperate sub forums makes it easier if you are looking for something specific. If someone has a prticular 'lean' toward tech they can concentrate their time there. Of course this can go overboard and get split into too may areas but the advantage is that you can make new areas if required. The Ozrodders forum for example has grown considerably and is easier to manage this way. I still visit here when I can!
Dave Petrusma
www.ozrodders.com/board

Rayvyn

Quote from: "GPster"[                       We're not about trying to find a group for you to fit in. We're about a group that anybody can fit in. GPster

That pretty much sums it up right there... :b-d:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

donsrods

I voted for change, mainly because if anything stays the same it gets stale.  This is a very tough subject, because if we say we want it to change that must mean we don't like it the way it is now. Nothing could be further from the truth, at least for me.  I liked this forum from the first time I posted, and that is because of the members and the way the forum is conducted. There is one forum in particular that I really can't get into because of the attitude of some of the members and the language that is constantly used there. I am no prude, by any means, but I just don't like to see every other word the F one.  Nor do I like the way posters are jumped on for the smallest infraction.

I have never seen that here, or on the other two forums I participate in. I would like to see more activity going on here, and surf the other forums because I get bored if nothing is going on.  I know there are a lot of lurkers here who just flip in and out, and it would be nice if there were a way to get them to say hi once in a while.

I have also thought of just jumping in and starting a thread on a car I am building, but I have worried that it might be viewed as me trying to come across as a know-it-all.  I am doing exactly that on the other two forums, because it seemed there were a lot of beginning rodders there who had questions as to how to do something or other, and I felt they might pick up a tip or two. It seems the threads have been accepted ok, so I continue to add to those threads occasionally.  I also get the impression that most of the members here are seasoned rodders, and need no tips from me.

So, I guess if I had any changes I would like to see it would be to increase posts and have a little more going on to hold people's interest a little more.  Maybe we also need to determine the demographics of our membership and find out if there are some people who are just starting their first build, and who might benefit from the vast experience available on here.

Don

enjenjo

Don, even though I have built a number of cars, I can always learn from some one else. Even a guy building his first car, may have come up with something I had never thought of.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

mrloboy

As a shop owner, I feel I should not be asking for opinions from the members. The genre of the site is directed at the home builder and home-built hot rods. I would like to see a forum for shop owner/fabricators such as myself. I have built a lot of hot rods over the past 30 years, but can still learn a lot from other peoples experiences. Many of the home builders that are members here, can teach us veterans many shortcuts to achieve the end result my customers wants. The shop owners/fabricators have provided me with wonderful solutions to many of my current projects and I thank them for their info.
Of all the message boards that I frequent, The Round Table is by far my favorite. The members are informative and cordial. The bantering is light-hearted and friendly. Malice is left at the gate! The replies are put forth with great thought and the intelligence of the posting member is without question.          
I would not change much with this site. If the traffic gets any higher, I will likely lose interest!
I, myself am guilty of not posting or replying much. I spend all my time in
my shop. We have lots to do! (If anyone wants to live in the middle of nowhere and built hotrods give me a call!) I need a couple fabricators! Rick

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Don, even though I have built a number of cars, I can always learn from some one else. Even a guy building his first car, may have come up with something I had never thought of.
Also Don, I wonder if some of this low posting is just  human nature. There are instances where we will all take something for nothing and there is so much information floating around here that a lurker may get his questions answered without ever having to ask them. So do you thank someone? Also, for someone like me (and I hope there aren't very many) having more than one name and being so spread out geografically might put someone in a total state of confusion. Who is talking what does he drive how can he maintain such an extensive library of knowlege and he must be terribly proud of his heritage by refering to himself as "Indian Joe"  wonder what strange ritual is performed by mowing the lawn naked and where the hell is Swanton? Because there are no rules other than try to fit in, not talking may be someone's way of fitting in. This site will never know how much it gives me and I'm always trying to figure out how to give some back but offering help on some up-to-date gathering of information scares the hell out of me. But that's me. Maybe while we don't expect anything from anybody we should be more understanding when that is what we get. GPster

SKR8PN

I can spend HOURS on Moparts.com, but it only takes me a few minutes to get caught up on the latest a greatest on this site. There is a ton of info hidden away on this site......but....It needs something to help step it up a bit.......Multiple forums is a good start.  Even though I am currently out of the street rod business,I still check in on my friends about every day.  :D
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

jaybee

"We're not about trying to find a group for you to fit in."

Good thing, since I've never been one to worry about fitting in.  I'd rather just find people that can tolerate me which is a more limited category!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

jaybee

"I have also thought of just jumping in and starting a thread on a car I am building"

I'd love that!  I'm pretty new to the world of building things from the ground up and soak up anything I can get my eyeballs on.  Seems as if everyone has a little different way to build something and I hope to learn from every one of them.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

CalifCarl

LOL Just trying to get the notify me of new post off!

Broman you never did respond.  Hey Broman what kind of engine does Ryan have in that 38 of his?

Traditional?  Hmm do I fit in?  Do I care?  Nope, but I do resent that if I don't have the correct wheels and tires, I'm labeled as a Street Rodder. And I'm wrong if I want to call my car a Hot Rod! LOL at that.   Not that there is anything wrong with Street Rodder!  

OK I know I'm bad but in somecases I agree with Broman on the small block chevy thing.  The current Street Rodder has one of them.  I think it is a 55 or 56 Ford sedan sporting a SBC.  Not totally wrong, but they went as far as badging the valve covers with Blue Ovals.  Now that is over the top.

I digress, it's a hot rod and there are no rules, so do what turns you on!

spark

Well this thread has had a lot of response, speaking for myself; I have a look here about once a month and generally find friendly banter mixed in with some useful info. I don't post much and I find that if I visit more regularly not much has changed.

I also visit the H.A.M.B but it has a lot of posts and anything I post like questions, sink off the page in a short time. Also some of the methods used in the US are not accepted by our authorities. Split bones is one method admired by ozies and seen on a lot of cars in Australian magazines but our rules state that you can only split them by 300mm (1 foot).  :roll:      

I am a member of Ozrodders and it is interesting how that board has evolved – separating the info on building a hotrod from the friendly (and some times not so friendly) banter is sometimes a challenge. A long-term "view only" section for Tech is something I would love to see on all the hotrod boards I visit.  8)  8)      

Some topics of interest to me are- Engine and Drive train, Suspension, Body work/ fabrication, Tech section and a General section for banter (loosely related to hotrods). :roll:
And pictures, lots of pictures. :P  :P
8) ANY info or comments are most welcome.  8)

www.hotrodforum.freeforums.org .

Carps

Quote from: "enjenjo"On the chat, there are quite a few people that use it, I would like to see more.
I love a chat, unfortunately you guys like to chat when my body likes to sleep.   :(

On tradition, billet and cut-offf years, most know my views and I can see Enjenjo is on my wave lenghth.  Unfortunately not everybody 'gets it' or want's to, so we'll always be stuck with those dissagreements.  But y'know that's OK because it's what makes rodding interesting and fun, it'd be boring as bat's poop if everybody thought the same, said the same and built the same.

Some of my fondest memories and bestest frieds are a result of this place and I love the way it's evolved.  Even if you don't see me here as much as I was in the past, I'll still enjoy my lurking no matter what happens, just make sure it doesn't go away.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Nailheadforty

I haven't posted , as I can't seem to fine the time I would like to spend on sites such as this . So when I do visited RRT I'm usually just reading the posts, and replys. We have a group of very knowledgeable people out there. Its easy to pick up on some of their advise.
So until the next visit, I'm out of here!

Wouldn't really rather have a "BUICK NAILHEAD"
:D  :wink:  :lol:  :!:  :?:

Normspeed

Spark, is there a link to the Ozrodders forum?  The cars I've seen from down south are pretty awesome.

Quote from: "spark"Well this thread has had a lot of response, speaking for myself; I have a look here about once a month and generally find friendly banter mixed in with some useful info. I don't post much and I find that if I visit more regularly not much has changed.

I also visit the H.A.M.B but it has a lot of posts and anything I post like questions, sink off the page in a short time. Also some of the methods used in the US are not accepted by our authorities. Split bones is one method admired by ozies and seen on a lot of cars in Australian magazines but our rules state that you can only split them by 300mm (1 foot).  :roll:      

I am a member of Ozrodders and it is interesting how that board has evolved – separating the info on building a hotrod from the friendly (and some times not so friendly) banter is sometimes a challenge. A long-term "view only" section for Tech is something I would love to see on all the hotrod boards I visit.  8)  8)      

Some topics of interest to me are- Engine and Drive train, Suspension, Body work/ fabrication, Tech section and a General section for banter (loosely related to hotrods). :roll:
And pictures, lots of pictures. :P  :P