THE ROAD TO LA

Started by Grandadeo, May 24, 2006, 09:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandadeo

Well its that time again, Roadster Show Time that is.  My buddy Tommy and I will hit the road in the wee hours (midnight or so) of June 3rd.  Driving our '32 roadsters for that coveted head light sticker, second for both of us.  Here's the trip plan and initial LA itinerary.  Would appreciate any advice on things to see or avoid along the way, although there won't be much time for sight seeing on the way out.  My wife is flying out and riding back so we'll save the touristy stuff for the return trip.  Trip wraps up with the new GG Nashville, TN meet and then back home to Florida to prepare for hurricane season.

June 3rd - Monroe, LA
June 4th - Lubbock, TX
June 5th - Williams, AZ
June 6th - Glendora, CA - NormSpeed's House of Refuge
June 7th - NHRA Twilight Cruise
June 8th - Beachside Cafe Grand Ave Cruise - Covina
June 9th - Bob's Big Bob - Burbank
June 10th - Donut Derelicts- Lynda arrives at Ontario airport
June 11th - Road Kings - Burbank
Shop Tours, Museums, seeing old friends, etc, etc, etc.
June 16th - SoCal
June 17th & 18th - Roadster Show
June 19th -  hit the road for Nashville, TN.  I-40 all the way with some Route 66 stop offs.
If all works out I hope to do the trip journal thing and post pictures along the way.  I have a few days left to learn how to do that.  Hope to see many of you out there.  Its always neat to put faces with the names.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

BFS57

Hello;
Sounds like you got it pretty much planned. Wish I could Go! Work, Work, Work. Good for the "fix up my Chevy" memorial Foundation!
Drive safe,Good luck, snap some pix to post if possible so the rest of us that arn't makin it, can get a "birds eye view"!
Bruce

alchevy

Lee, how are you coming across Mississippi on your way to Monroe, LA? I'm in Vicksburg where I-20 crosses the Mississippi River. If you were in the central part of the state on June 3rd around 6pm, there's a huge cruise night in Byram, MS just South of Jackson on I-55. Your trip sounds like a fun one.
Hopefully I will catch up with a group of street rodders out of the Bastrop/Monroe, LA area this weekend up at Springfield, MO and I will tell them about your trip.
I know several in the Shreveport, LA area also.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Grandadeo

Al, we'll be coming up 49 to I-20 and then heading west.  By 6 PM I hope to be just stepping out of the shower at the Monroe, LA.  La Quinta Inn, although that cruise night sounds good.  Maybe there's something going on in Monroe on Saturday night?

Lee

alchevy

http://www.ms-sra.org/carbuddys.htm Those pictures were taken back in March at the cruise night.

Maybe I can get some of the street rodders together in my town and cruise over to the Louisiana Welcome Center across the river 1 or 2 miles West on I-20 and watch y'all come by on June 3rd. What colors are the two cars?

I will be going to the Good Guys event in Nashville.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

kb426

Do yourself a favor and turn north on 191 on eastern Arizona at Chambers. Go to Chinle and see canyon de chelly. Then go north to Durango and take 550 north to Montrose. Go however you want from there but you will see some of the most breathtaking scenery in the country. The canyon is a minature Grand canyon. 550 is the million dollar highway. If you don't like mountains or can't stand elevation, forget this.
TEAM SMART

EMSjunkie

I'm right on I-40 between New Mexico and Oklahoma.  :)

let me know if you have time to stop and drink a cola. :T)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Normspeed

Oh jeez, time for my annual Cleanin' O' the Bathroom already?

You just missed a big event in L.A.  Tommy's held their 60th anniversary bash.  60 cent 60th anniversary chili cheeseburgers all day.  Balloons were released.  A USC band played a rousing fight song.  Not one but two Elvis impersonators schmoozed with the crowd.    8)  8)  Mass quantities were consumed.

Looking forward to seeing you guys and making the rounds of all things automotive.  Drive safe.  Oh, and Canyon de Chelly is beautiful.  You can hike in or take a ride on a big old war surplus troop carrier truck through the canyon.  Or, at least you could when I was there, gosh was it really 23 years ago?

alchevy

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Al, we'll be coming up 49 to I-20 and then heading west.Lee

You are heading up 98 from Mobile then to 49, aren't ya? 'Cause the bridges on 90 on the MS Gulf Coast are still out (for a while) between Ocean Springs & Biloxi.

I think it's below the intersection of 49 & 98, but there's an old drive-in theatre (opened in 1948) there around Hattiesburg, MS. See this link for the story about the Beverly: http://www.driveinmovie.com/MS.htm
AL

www.astreetrodder.com

Grandadeo

Norm - I can feel those Tommy Burgers drippin down my arms and ohhh the heart burn.  Can't wait

Al - Yes, coming up 98 from Mobile to 49 then to I-20.  My '32 hiboy is black w/ black top and wide whites.  Tommy's is hugger orange w/ black top.  Not sure if its a Harley Davidson pair or a Halloween pair, I've heard both.  

kb426 & Norm -  Canyon de Chelly sounds like something to shoot for on the way back but I know there won't be time to get up into Colorado.  That will be a trip for the '48 panel and teardrop when Lynda retires.

Vance - should be coming through Texas on I-40 some time on Tuesday afternoon the 20th on the way to Nashville.  Haven't thought that far ahead yet to figure out the stopping points for each day.  Want to be in Nashville Thursday afternoon if possible.

exsedan

Where ya staying in Williams, AZ?....I am about 45 minutes from there and will try to get over for a visit that evening. Look for the green 1936 Ford Ranchero.............jb EXSEDAN

Grandadeo

We will be staying at the luxurious Circle Pines KOA, 1000 Circle Pines RD.  Should be in early evening around 5 or 6pm.  Would be great to meet up.  You may not remember me asking you a few years back if you knew my cousin in Chino Valley.  He has since moved up to Colorado after his ex got the ranch, or at least half of it.  I posted my cell phone number in my profile for on the road contact.

Lee

exsedan

I do remember our prior conversations. I'll see ya in Williams.......jb  EXSEDAN

alchevy

I sent out word to a few friends that are interested in your trip. We may cruise out to the Louisiana Welcome Center Saturday afternoon and watch y'all come by.

www.astreetrodder.com

Grandadeo

Al, we have moved our departure time up to 10 - 11 PM Friday night.  Mapquest shows Vicksburg at 845 miles and 13 hours 31 minutes.  I anticipate 4 to five gas stops, about every 175 miles. So my best guess is noon to 2 pm Saturday afternoon.  And that is a real guess.  I've posted my cell phone number in my profile so if you want to check in with us late Saturday morning   I could give you a better idea.  Actually since your the local up there I'd tell you where we were and you could tell us how much longer we had to get to the Welcome Center.  By the way, we've picked up another rod for the trip.  We'll have a tan '32 hiboy roadster joining us for the trip out.  So when you see the black, orange, and tan Tres Hombres pulling into the Welcome Center and 3 'ol farts crawling out of there roadsters after 14 or so hours on the road that will be us.  Lee, Tommy, and Al.  Another Al.

See Ya
Lee