THE ROAD TO LA

Started by Grandadeo, May 24, 2006, 09:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

Lee, Well I remembered this morning that this Saturday is the same Saturday that I am filming a wedding for a friend of mine's Daughter and the wedding is at 2pm. So if you are closer to Noon at the Welcome Center, then maybe I can still meet ya there. We'll see.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Grandadeo

Well its about that time.  Hitting the road around 10:00 PM.  The Weather Channel is calling for rain all the way up the state of Florida.  Figures.

Happy Motoring
Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Deuce

:)

I saw them today ( Saturday ) .... about 50 miles past Vicksburg ... towards California ...

3 Roadsters  :shock:
1) Black
2) Orange
3) Light brown or Vanilla

I went to Dallas/Fort Worth on a tin/parts hunt and was on I-20 on the way back to South Carolina.

They looked GOOD .... on the road
Wish I was in my 32 Roadster headed that way west with them ...

Deuce
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

alchevy

I talked to Lee on the phone on Saturday, but I did not have a chance to meet up with them. Maybe I will see them in Nashville later on in the month. AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Normspeed

Talked to Lee this morning.  They're in Lubbock TX.   Had to get some different tires for Lee's Mullens trailer, the radials he had on it were making it kinda squirrely.  They are really piling up the miles.   I let him know we're having a warm spell in the Southwest and they should pack lotsa drinking water for all that desert in New Mexico, AZ, and CA.   It was something like 115 or 120 in Palm Springs yesterday, and hit 103 at my place in San Gabriel Valley.  

They should arrive at my place in Glendora Tuesday afternoon or evening.  Wednesday we'll all be at the NHRA Twilight Cruise in Pomona.  Once they hit my crash pad, I'm sure Lee will be online with tall tales about the journey.

Grandadeo

Quote from: "exsedan"I do remember our prior conversations. I'll see ya in Williams.......jb  EXSEDAN

Exsedan,

We won't make it to Williams tonight.  We still have about 450 miles to go.  A few minor problems we had to work out that slowed us down a little.  Maybe next time.

Thanks,
Lee

exsedan

Exsedan,

We won't make it to Williams tonight.  We still have about 450 miles to go.  A few minor problems we had to work out that slowed us down a little.  Maybe next time.

Thanks,
Lee[/quote]

Oh well, I had a good ride anyway.......you can call me tomorrow or on your way back and i'll try again......jb EXSEDAN

Carps

I thoght I might try this trip, got some directions and hit the road to L.A. fifteen minutes out of town and the car was drowning windscreen deep in saltwater.  Bugger!

Looks like I aint gunna make it this year either.   :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Normspeed

Grandadeo called this morning, the terrible trio were just blastin' thru Barstow at 7am and will be arriving at my place as we speak.  If you get to the Pomona Twilight Cruise today, look for three seedy lookin' varmints with Florida plates on their roadsters.

Grandadeo

Well we made it.  Just got in from the NHRA Twilight Cruise.  They were turning cars away after the Museum lot filled up.  Lots of neat cars, about a gazillion event flyers filled up my interior, and got to see a few friends from out here.  The trip overall was real good.  The only rain we got was about 10 minutes worth in the middle of the Mojave Desert around 5:30 this morning.  Stopped in Needles, CA yesterday afternoon for the night -110 in the shade.  We hit the desert at 4:30 AM, it was a mere 95 degrees then.  My mullins trailer problems turned out to be bearings.  When I bought the independent torsion bar setup they gave me the wrong bearings, real close but just enough to over time make the trailer do the horizontal bop down the highway.  I've got a nice new pair of trailer tires available if I put the wide white radials back on.  The tan roadster had a fuel pump problem cured by an electric pump and a bit of an overheating problem which turned out to be a bad - worn out - radiator cap.  Keep that one in the back of your mind if you start having overheating trouble.  Sorry I didn't get to hook up with 40 Chevy and Exsedan but I did get to talk with them on the phone.

Tomorrow will be a light day running around the Glendora area and getting ready to hit it hard Friday which will end up at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank.

I'll keep ya posted on the events - no pictures so far except a few of on the road repairs.

Lee

Grandadeo

Well as Don would say, Bob's Big Boy was *.  The crowd was big and more importantly the cars just kept coming.  Had a good time and as usual I forgot a jacket but my buddy Tom loaded me his spare.  Hey, it gets cold out here at night.  In the morning we are off to join the High Desert Roadsters on their cruise up to Big Bear, thanks for the tip Don.  Pick up my wife at the airport tomorrow night then it will be the Road Kings picnic on Sunday.  Only a few tweaks on the cars today.  More to come.

Lee

Grandadeo

Saturday was a pretty full day.  Started off in the high desert with the High Desert Roadsters for their run up in the mountains.  Beautiful views and great folks, cruising the mountains, having breakfast, swapping trophys, and just having a great time in general.  Thanks Dave and friends.  Next was a down town show in LaVerne.  Lots of nice cars AND a full contingent of  custom PT Cruisers, yippee.  Finished off with a cruise night in Claremont, by then it was time to pick up the wife at the airport and hit the hay.  

Sunday we were up early for the Road Kings picnic in Burbank.  Two of the three roadsters and NormSpeeds '53 Ply wagon made it.  My black roadster decided not to go, intermittent starting problem still.  The show was great with good weather and lots of left over 50/50 and raffle tickets.  Hooked up with RRT folks and some old friends from SoCal.  Got back to the house and found the REAL problem with my distributor.  Those little wires deep down inside had the insulation worn off and caused the problem, we hope.  Swapped out the whole unit with Al's spare, all fixed now.  Today Lynda and are are off for some sight seeing up Santa Barbara way.  Thought I give here one day off from Hot Rod Stuff.

Lee

Grandadeo

Another full day today.  Started off at Lime Works.  Those guys are great, always roll out the red carpet and thank you for stopping by even though you just interrupted their busy day.  They posted our three cars on their web site under customer cars.  Next stop was Moon.  NormSpeed picked up a set of Moon Discs for his '53 Plymouth.  We made our way over to Gardena to the burger restaurant where Ed Iskendarian eats lunch.  Had my picture taken with Ed about four years ago at SoCal and I've been carrying the 8x10 glossy around ever since hoping to get his autograph on it.  I can check that one off the list now.  Finished off the day at Frisco's cruise night in Downey.  Won't be able to live with Al (tan roadster) and Tommy (orange roadster) now, they both got trophies.  Plan to work on NormSpeed's Moon discs tomorrow and get ready for the weekend.

Lee

alchevy

How cool is that! Lee, I went to the Lime Works website and saw the pictures. Neat looking '32s y'all 3 have got. But the neat thing is Al's last name and my last name. His starts with a "W" and mine starts with a "M".
Al Mashburn

www.astreetrodder.com

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.