THE ROAD TO LA

Started by Grandadeo, May 24, 2006, 09:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

Hey, Lee & Norm!

If you don't have plans tonight, a bunch of hot rodders are converging on the MissionTiki Drive In theater in Montclair for a screening of the movie "Cars".

Gates open at 6:00 for hot rods and 7:30 for boring vehicles.

Grandadeo

Thanks Don, I'll run it by the crew.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

exsedan

Lee,
If you are going to be traveling thru Arizona on I-40 this coming Monday, let me know ahead of time and i'll meet you somewhere in the Seligman Ash Fork, Williams area. I need about an hour notice to get to Ash fork from my place, then can go in either direction from there.........John EXSEDAN

kb426

If you're not having the time of your life, you may be dead. I haven't been forunate enought to spend a week before the show to do all this stuff. Sounds wonderful, except for the few problems. Hope the rest of the trip is great.
TEAM SMART

Grandadeo

Just got home from the Drive in.  It was KOOL.  Had cars there from North Carolina, Texas, Arizona, Florida, and a few from California.  Don and Mrs. Don brought the coupe and roadster.  Brent - Fatman Hisself - was there too.  Had a great time telling traveling stories before the movie, and the movie was good too.  Cruised back too the house and caught about every light green.  Great end to a really neat night.  Again, thanks again Don.

Lee

DRD57

That was fun.

My step daughter, who had never been to a drive in, said "we should do this more often!".

She cracked me up when we pulled in to the drive in and she saw the pavement in front of the screens "Oh my God! Look at those speed bumps!".

MrMopar64

Hey Don
Do they do that often over there?....... It'd be kool to go sometime!

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

DRD57

Quote from: "MrMopar64"Hey Don
Do they do that often over there?....... It'd be kool to go sometime!

MM64  8)
This was sort of an impromptu gathering organized by the guy who did the tiki motif decorating at the MissionTiki Drive In. Management of the drive in supports letting groups of gear heads in before the general public so they can park together, have a tailgate party, & socialize.

It was a lot of fun.

Here's an excerpt from the post that Frank Huttinger put on the HAMB:

FOR CAR CLUBS: Here's what we'd like to do -- If you can put together a group of at least 25 adults in 10 or more rods, kustoms or classics -- we'll open the theatre and snack bar an hour early for you, so you can cruise and tailgate party until the movie starts. Just contact me frank@missiontiki.com with your group's details, and the night you want to attend, and I'll set things up with the theatre's manager.

If you're into The H.A.M.B. but not into a club, and want to put together a group that's at least 25 adults, you can organize an ad hoc club, and we'll open the theatre and snack bar early for you. Just have somebody take the lead position to pull your group together, and contact me with your details.

Grandadeo

Well I think I just heard the Fat Lady sing.  The Roadster Show is now history and I've got my second headlight sticker.  We are all packed up and ready to go at about 4 AM in the morning.  Exsedan, we plan to meet you for lunch in Ash Fork if that works for you.  I'm guessing it will be sometime around 11:00 AM.  I'll send you a PM.  Two of us are heading back to Nashville - Black and Orange cars.  Al in the tan roadster is off to Pueblo with the Tour Group.  We have decided to just hang out in Nashville Thursday and hook up with some very old (I should say long term) friends for the day and head for Florida Friday morning.  My wife HAS to be back at her desk Monday morning so we'll cut the trip short by a few days.  After the Roadster Show I can skip a few meets for a while.  Plus I have to get ready for a trip to western New York in August.  Our thanks to everyone in SoCal for the hospitality and the friendly conversation.  See you next year by way of the big silver bird.

Lee

alchevy

Quote from: "Grandadeo"...head for Florida Friday morning.

Lee, We just can't seem to make it to meet each other. I will be staying at a motel South of Nashville Friday night and heading up to Nashville Saturday morning.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

exsedan

I'll be waiting in Ash Fork. Glad you had a good time. My brother went to the show on Saturday and bought a Brookville bodied '32 frame and running gear. He lives in the Corona area, so didn't have to go too far......EXSEDAN

exsedan

Well, at about 1100 this morning, I found a couple of Florida bound roadsters at the I-40 and Hwy 89 intersection in Ash Fork, AZ. All is well with Grandadeo, Mrs. Dadeo and Tom.

After a lunch stop in Williams, AZ, I last saw them (at 1225) headed East on I-40 with the planned overnight to be in Gallup, NM.

They sound like "a great time was had by all"........jb EXSEDAN

Normspeed

Yup, they rolled outta my place at 4am, heading east. Glad the trip home is on schedule.  Best durned house guests you could ask for.

Grandadeo

Home At Last, Home At Last, Thank God We're Home At Last.  Like Normspeed said, Tom, Lynda and I left Glendora, CA around 4:00 AM Monday.  We pulled off I-95 at Port Saint Lucie, Florida at 9:09 tonight.  Four days of fun and frolick and HEAT across these United States.  Lynda is now a cross country roadster veteran.  She was a real trooper and held up well.  Only thing that bothered here was the lightning in NW Alabama last night which led to finding a motel pronto.  Fifteen hours on the road today with only a little rain and we're home.  Well not quite, we are staying at my son's house tonight, just around the corner from Tom's.  It's another 45 minutes to our house, and my dog, Ardun Von Pooch, was here and I didn't want to load him in the roadster for the ride home.  

Didn't make it to Good Guys Nashville.  We were just too burnt out and had a few more road-side repairs along the way.  Talked to my buddy from SC that we were supposed to hook up with and he said they had Susan B. Anthony sized hail there today.  Sounded like there may have been some car damage because of it.

A special thanks goes out to Normspeed for putting up with us for 14 days.  Don for keeping us posted on what was happening in SoCal - things that we would have missed without him letting us know like the High Desert Roadsters Run, the drive in movie, etc, etc.  John, Exsedan, for meeting us twice, although we didn't show the first time, and buying us lunch to boot.  And of course the other RRT regulars we bumped into while knocking around SoCal.  Never did get the lap top to work on the road so there were no daily updates.  When we get the pictures sorted out I'll try to post some.  Our third tour member, Al, is up in Colorado for the NSRA meet and says he's cold.  Poor boy.

Lee

exsedan

Glad you made it home safely. Have been watching for notification of safe arrival. Was great seeing and talking to everyone..........jb EXSEDAN