RRT Haute Cuisine Tour 2005

Started by enjenjo, December 19, 2004, 06:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

That's what we needed. Any others with ideas? How many are interested in participating? Do we want to get Tshirts made?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

av8

Quote from: "enjenjo"That's what we needed. Any others with ideas? How many are interested in participating? Do we want to get Tshirts made?

Here are some of my ideas from out first "conversation," Frank. . .

"Bob's Toluca Lake drive-in on Friday is always good, coordinated as it was before with a visit to the Petersen museum followed by a late afternoon stop at Autobooks in Burbank.

"I'd like to suggest we do a tour of the Nethercutt collection in Sylmar, in the north side of the SF Valley. Nethercutt is credited with raising the restoration bar at Pebble Beach years ago, and thecars are spectacular, to say nothing of the museum itself. We can do a self-guided tour, but they book guided two-hour "San Sylmar" group tours in advance, and I believe these tours include a trip through the restoration shop.

"Maybe we could attend the Jay Leno show. It's taped in the afternoon and it's possible we could arrange for special parking and seating . . . Gotta get Bob Beck working on this one!

"What do you think about Bob McCoy doing a T-shirt design for us? I'll see if he has time, is interested, and get a price if there is any interest by our group. . . "

As regards the Bob's Toluca Lake/So-Cal Speed Shop conflict here are my thoughts: We could visit the Petersen Museum on Friday morning, with a two-hour tour of the Nethercutt scheduled for mid afternoon. Lunch could be at In-N-Out in San Fernando (one of the first, often said to be the original), 15-20 minutes from the Petersen and 5 minutes from the Nethercutt Collection.  At this point we would be an hour-plus away from Pomona and So-Cal SS for those for whom the open-house is a must. We would also be 15-20 minutes away from Autobooks in Burbank, Bob's Toluca Lake drive-in, and George Barris' showroom (which is about 10 blocks West of Bob's on Riverside Drive in North Hollywood) for those inclined in this direction.

Since this is essentially the last day of the touring portion of the tour I don't see that an option would be out of reason. We would all link up at Pomona and the LARoadsters show the next day, of course.

The grudge racing at Irwindale interests me (1/8 mile with a high-torque, low-rev flathead pickup, hmmmmm . . . .). 8)

Still thinking . . . .

Mike

DRD57

re: Nethercutt. I've never been there but what I've read of it, it sounds pretty cool. Isn't it a coat and tie deal?

If we start the Friday happenings on the west side, anyone who wants to go to the SoCal thing better be on the road by noon or it's going to be a 2+ hour bumper to bumper crawl out to Pomona.

More info on the Otis Chandler museum can be found at:

www.chandlerwheels.com

It's up in Oxnard which is an hour or so drive up the coast from the LA area.

Charlie Chops 1940

Some great ideas from Don and Mike, some which Ken (OBT) and I did three or four years ago when we spent the week in front of the show out there.

My plan is to leave from Indy with the gang that heads out from there. Hopefully I will have the track roadster pickup sorted out for the trip. If not, I'll take the '40.

Don, what was the drive time when you drove your coupe back - either from Indy or Louisville, which I imagine would be close to the same?

I'm looking forward to going again...and Bonneville this year too.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Carps

So how many weeks do I need to book for my vacation?

Like you don't really wanna cram all this into just one weekend do you?  Some of us need to cruise and take it all in slowly.  

Good news is I can staay awake for the full three daays if required and I'll pass on the burgers so that should save some time too.  :wink:

I'm gunna be mighty * if you guys do this again without me.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

DRD57

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"
Don, what was the drive time when you drove your coupe back - either from Indy or Louisville, which I imagine would be close to the same?
Charlie

It takes me at least 3 days to drive to L'ville if I don't take any side trips. Bob Ain made it home to Vegas from L'ville last year in two days. He left at noon on Sunday and was at home around 11:00 pm Monday.

If you're cruising with the group from Indy, I think they leave on Sunday and get to LA on Wednesday.

kroozn

I will be there for sure!

I had a great time then and wouldn't miss this for anything!

DRD57

Quote from: "Carps"So how many weeks do I need to book for my vacation?

Like you don't really wanna cram all this into just one weekend do you?  Some of us need to cruise and take it all in slowly.  

Good news is I can staay awake for the full three daays if required and I'll pass on the burgers so that should save some time too.  :wink:

I'm gunna be mighty * if you guys do this again without me.

Five weeks ought to do it. We'll start by leaving LA on May 27 to go to Paso Robles, then the following weekend is the Antique Nationals at LACR, the weekend after that is the Long Beach Swap Meet, El Mirage, the Road Kings Picnic and the Early Times picnic, then we'll have fun with all these guys for about a week ending up at the LA Roadster Show. Then it'll take you a couple of days to get home.

Carps

Five weeks?  Do you think the boss is gunna buy that and the additional four weeks in August?

I think I may need for somebody to send a note home to Mrs Carps, explaining the critical importance of my attendance at all times.    :wink:
Carps

DRD57

Quote from: "Carps"Five weeks?  Do you think the boss is gunna buy that and the additional four weeks in August?

I think I may need for somebody to send a note home to Mrs Carps, explaining the critical importance of my attendance at all times.    :wink:

That depends on which boss we're talking about. Boss #1 (Mrs. Carps) might be hard to convince. Boss #2 (Mr. Toyoda) should be easier since you probably have a few years worth of vacation time saved up from the workaholic schedule you've bene maintaining.

Carps

Quote from: "DRD57"
Quote from: "Carps"Five weeks?  Do you think the boss is gunna buy that and the additional four weeks in August?

That depends on which boss we're talking about. Boss #1 (Mrs. Carps) might be hard to convince.

Nah, she's always happy to get rid of me for a few days.

QuoteBoss #2 (Mr. Toyoda) should be easier since you probably have a few years worth of vacation time saved up from the workaholic schedule you've bene maintaining.

Yeah, I think I have enough to take almost a year off, but then I may not have a job to go back to if I did that.  But the biggest problem are my new best freinds, who are reluctant to allow me to travel, especially for extended periods.  But we're workin on that.   :wink:
Carps

DrJ

Quote from: "Carps"

Probably not me... She might remember I sent the model Edsels.... :wink:

I've been playing hooky...
But I think it sounds like a fun thing to do again and I'll have a passenger seat available during the week.
Carps, your welcome to a ride in the blue truck, if you dare!

purplepickup

So far the greasy spoon tour is in my summer plans.  Same as all the working stiffs, I'm going to be short on vacation so I'll have to fly out and do the rental car thing.  The last time I drove a strange car in LA was 12 years ago and that was...uh...challenging.  It's probably lots better now tho, huh? :wink:   At least from what I see on TV I won't be going so fast that I'll miss my exits on the freeway.  Everyone seems to have plenty of time to ponder life while stuck in traffic.  :|
George

DRD57

Quote from: "purplepickup"So far the greasy spoon tour is in my summer plans.  Same as all the working stiffs, I'm going to be short on vacation so I'll have to fly out and do the rental car thing.  The last time I drove a strange car in LA was 12 years ago and that was...uh...challenging.  It's probably lots better now tho, huh? :wink:   At least from what I see on TV I won't be going so fast that I'll miss my exits on the freeway.  Everyone seems to have plenty of time to ponder life while stuck in traffic.  :|

We'll try to schedule around the traffic as much as possible so we can still drive 90 mph  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

purplepickup

Quote from: "DRD57"We'll try to schedule around the traffic as much as possible so we can still drive 90 mph  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Then I'll have to rent one of those '05 HO Mustangs to try to keep up with everyone's vintage tin :twisted:

I remember the stories about Sam's heavy right foot in 2000. 8)
George