2021: What are you doing today

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2021, 11:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

It's not just restaurants. Our local hardware store lost 5 people in the last week, 20 since January. There are too many companies here that the starting wage is now $15 to $18 an hour to work for just over minimum wage  The local McDs has a sign out front starting wage $13 an hour, and they can't get anyone to fill out an application.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: enjenjo on September 27, 2021, 01:01:00 AM
It's not just restaurants. Our local hardware store lost 5 people in the last week, 20 since January. There are too many companies here that the starting wage is now $15 to $18 an hour to work for just over minimum wage  The local McDs has a sign out front starting wage $13 an hour, and they can't get anyone to fill out an application.

Yes. 

A Jack in the Box has signs out for hiring at 13.50 an hour. They reduced  the lobby hours a while back. Usually the number we see is 14 an hour to start if there is a number. We were sitting in an IHOP a few days ago that is next to that Jack in the Box.. It was near 8:30 and we watched people try to open the doors to go inside. Doors were locked. Signs on the door say they open at 8am?

A friend of mine works part time at ACE Hardware. He changed stores last year because of a manager and money. The stores are each owned by different franchisee.  The new ACE store has asked my friend to work more hours. He is smart and easy going.  He told me they can not hire and keep people as you mention Frank.

Friends in auto repair tell me the parts wait is an all time high. I read there are 75 to 100 container ships waiting to be unloaded.  That seems insane.  There are not enough dock workers to get the job done.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

Wages, vaccine mandates, fear of getting covid, masks mandates, government handouts, etc, are all contributing to the lack of employees problem. 

School closings took many moms out of the work force because they had to be home with their kids.  ....Many day care centers were shut-down, which added to the problem.

Many of the Waffle House (open 24 hrs) franchises have had to close shifts due to staffing shortages, so are now open for 1 shift only. 

Many restaurants around here that were previously open 7 days, are now open 5 days.  ....They can't find enough staff, so they are closing 2 of their least profitable days.

Many people near, or at, retirement age are quitting their jobs due to vaccine mandates. 

Many nurses and medical staff who worked through the covid crisis are now quitting because they do not want the vaccine, but are under a mandate by their employer.

How many retail business can afford to pay their employees $15-$18 / hour plus benefits, and keep their doors open?

Unemployment benefits and additional stimulus money is the greatest job killer around here, and in many parts of the country. 

Retailers which can't get enough products/merchandise to sell have less need for a large staff.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

idrivejunk

Working man over here, finding those $ numbers tempting. Fast food done caught up to car fixing? Boy howdy. Whats it pay now, to be a bump on a log?

I had never heard the term anti vaccine until a few years back. My parents are the only people I know besides myself who will ever be vaccinated. We've concluded it must be a "Jesus, take the wheel" scenario. So, covid is here to stay for good. "The people" WANT it. To kill them, I guess.

I would not be suprised to hear that vaccinated people are facing at least discrimination, or that deadly rioting has begun. But I cannot understand. Theres not a reason. Yet the anti crowd will surely take up arms as the issue is pressed harder.

To me its not unlike recall notices on my Pontiacs. Only reason to have those done is to stop the flow of nagging. I did my part but it didn't affect the constant nagging. If I try to urge anyone I know to get a shot, the reaction is hostile. Governments can just hang it up, man. Everyone would rather stop a slug than take the shot. Thats pretty much the situation here. They might be willing to shoot people trying to tell them they'll get a shot or face consequenses.

Hunker down, I reckon.
Matt

phat46

Stopped at a McDonalds in Grayling Mi. last week on the way home from the U.P., they had a sign out that they were  hiring, at $16 an hour. 😳

Crosley.In.AZ

Bruce: yep. You kinda nailed it. Not sure how wide spread it is.  Local Costco stores are limiting paper products again here in AZ.  My brother told me weeks ago that many items are arriving slooow again at Walmart. Canned goods, paper products, bottled water

We are about to order the counter tops for the trailer rehab project.  Basic granite material. We were told at lest 4 weeks after measurements are taken.  We were also told that availability on color patterns may change too.

I have some plumbing work for the shower to do , then the shower Panels can be installed... then order flooring.  Carpet in the bedroom and vinyl  floor plank stuff or what ever it is called thru the remainder of the unit.  Not sure on delay there yet.  :o
Tony

Fat Cat

Quote from: Crosley on September 27, 2021, 09:40:33 AM
We are about to order the counter tops for the trailer rehab project.  Basic granite material. We were told at lest 4 weeks after measurements are taken.  We were also told that availability on color patterns may change too.

I have a guy that works for me who had some water damage to his house in the kitchen area. The insurance company is paying for all the repairs. But he had to wait about 8 weeks for Ikea style flat pack cabinets. He is 5 months without his kitchen. For half that the insurance company had paid for a BNB because he was without water in the house.

I had to wait 5 weeks for a standard non-custom screen door.

idrivejunk

They sprung for a couple weeks of ritzy hotel when lightning took out my water line and tree. For no water. That was still mighty inconvenient but wow. Imagine large scale disasters. Then what? Just go in the yard eh.

I was kinda alarmed to find that 80 grit DA paper was in short supply other day. I needed a bunch, there was none. I was like... Now what?
Matt

kb426

Last year's project, the 78 F150 went to a new owner this weekend. The new owner was very happy. He is a dealer but said if it had an automatic, he would have kept it for himself. :) Less stuff in the yard now. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Finally got around to taking in the non ferrous scrap that's been taking up space in the shop. 499 pounds of brass, copper and aluminum, plus a few starters and alternators, $245. From now on, any bits and pieces go into the ferrous can for a friend of mine who sells that stuff.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Counter top for this olde trailer:  Wife called our sales rep monday.  Told him we are ready for the counter top measure, what do we do?  He took care of it. Problem is the counter top guy did not call us as he was suppose to.  That ph!ssed my wife off.  So the wife called the sales rep again. Got the number for the counter top guy and called him directly.  We are setup for measurements 1 week away. He explained how busy they are, apologized to my wife.  Then its 3 to 5 weeks out for the tops to be built and installed
Tony

58 Yeoman

We had a new countertop installed in our kitchen a couple weeks ago. One guy came and measured, then said it would take a few weeks. It was shorter, but I had the weekend to remove the old one, and two guys came on Monday to install it (U shaped). The hole for the sink was already cut. They had it in in a couple hours, then asked if I had the sink, so they could see if it fit. It's a good think, because they had to trim a couple places where the mounting brackets went. I set the sink, as I didn't want to pay a plumber $350 to do it. My wife is very happy with it (so am I).
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: 58 Yeoman on September 28, 2021, 07:45:18 PM
We had a new countertop installed in our kitchen a couple weeks ago. One guy came and measured, then said it would take a few weeks. It was shorter, but I had the weekend to remove the old one, and two guys came on Monday to install it (U shaped). The hole for the sink was already cut. They had it in in a couple hours, then asked if I had the sink, so they could see if it fit. It's a good think, because they had to trim a couple places where the mounting brackets went. I set the sink, as I didn't want to pay a plumber $350 to do it. My wife is very happy with it (so am I).

Sounds good Phil..  We hope the time lines given will be shorter.
Tony

sirstude

6 of us from my church are going down to "Frontier Relics & Auto Museum" in Gillette WY for something to do.  Should be a nice drive and a good time down there.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Cword

Today is "Orange Shirt Day" in Canada, a day of remembrance, acknowledgement, and commitment to reconciliation for wrongs done to Indigenous peoples of this country. What makes me post though is humorous, I look around and the impression that comes to mind is Hooley Huffman's pit at Bonneville. in fact I'm wearing a "Just Glad To Be Here" shirt as I type this.
--